Monk Seal Facial Contact

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was wondering how common is this, coming in and touching the divers forehead, not attempting to bite it, in the case of monk seals? I had this happen twice over 20 minute interval on a single dive off Lehua a few days ago. Thank you

19620278_10154652689268199_3296330337752179536_o.jpg

I had a diver years ago that it happened to at China Walls...... would swim down from the surface and kinda munch at the bubbles coming out of the regulator. Actually kissed a dude on his bald head in 35 feet of sea water! Talking to California divers this can be common with the sea lions in the kelp too.

Thank you for the information, I appreciate it. I am talking to some folks at Hawaii's Div. of Aquatic Resources to see if they have any input on this. I wonder if they might be rubbing perhormones/communicating through facial areas, like cats? Cats have the scent glands there, not so sure about seals however.

i don't know anything about the seals but this is a great photo....thanks for sharing.

The seals at Niihau can be very curious at times as they have become accustomed to divers there in summer months. It is very different than seal behavior on the main island of Kauai. While once in a long - long time you'll have a curious seal hang out with divers it is not the norm. On the rare occasions I have experienced this it has almost always been with a juvenile seal.

This behavior that you experienced is certainly not common - though they are known at times to single out a diver and then pursue their curiosity in a number of ways. Contact does happen time to time and I've had them rub against my fins and even tank on one occasion. I had a similar experience with a seal that seemed curious (my perception) about bubbles coming out of a hole cut in my hood.

The caution as I am sure you know is that they are wild animals and you just never know. They are not aggressive towards divers but innocent curiosity could result in an unintended injury. We (as DM's) at Niihau are very thorough in briefing divers to let the seal determine encounters and not to swim up to or over active seals (a behavior that they clearly become unsettled by). I would imagine your calm demeanor and relaxed breathing led to these encounters.

Super stoked for you and your experience! The monk seals at Niihau are such an amazing treat and no doubt gave you a lifetime memory to treasure. Hope the experience brings you back.

Aloha
A

In my 15 years on the Big Island I've only had one confrontation with a monk seal as a scuba diver and the seal slipped away before I could show my guests at sugar cottage (sugar-inc.com) so you are really lucky! What a great pic you have of this experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom