Has anyone seen or used the new Scubapro Hydros Pro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to laugh today. I'm diving in Puerto Galera in the Philippines. The DM looked at my Hydros and said this was the second one he had seen. The boat captain chirped from the stern: "Yes that diver also had a Rolex and a Porsche!".

Seriously...I had a similar experience with mine rolling around then reduced my weights and problem was solved. I do not use a crotch strap but will add one for better stability at the surface.

Are you done with your trip yet??? Waiting for your report you promised :)

I have one on order for 2 months now. I'm hoping it gets here before the end of next month.

I took a 16 year break from diving and just getting back into it after 2 months in Guam at the end of last year.

Any write ups yet?

Just dove my Hydros the last couple of days. Her are some takeaways.

-The Hydros is very streamlined and eliminates so much bulk. It truly felt like a glove comparatively to my Zeagle which always felt like a winter coat, respectively.
Overall I love the design and function of the Hydros Pro and look forward to using it for years to come.

Thanks for this write up. I plan to order the Hydros Pro.

How does the sizing compare to your Stiletto? Do you think a size L Hydros is comparable to a size L Zeagle? Or does the Hydros tend to run larger or smaller than the Zeagle?

I currently dive a size L Stiletto which is running a little small on me. Just trying to determine what size to order as I have never had much luck with sizing charts within the diving industry :)

Last edited:
I have a brand new Hydros Large BC for sale if anyone is looking for one. Msg me.

Thanks for this write up. I plan to order the Hydros Pro.

How does the sizing compare to your Stiletto? Do you think a size L Hydros is comparable to a size L Zeagle? Or does the Hydros tend to run larger or smaller than the Zeagle?

I currently dive a size L Stiletto which is running a little small on me. Just trying to determine what size to order as I have never had much luck with sizing charts within the diving industry :)

I did dive a Medium Stiletto. It seems that the Hydros Large is a better fit for me overall because of the way it wraps around my sides. It is adjustable but the Zeagle had a bit more slack available in the cummerbund. My profile picture is the Zeagle AAMOF.

Keep in mind, I live in florida and do a lot of dives without a wetsuit and the Zeagle STILL felt a bit bulky all the time. Having no foam on the Hydros is as close to a backplate with wings as you can get without having a backplate with wings.

A couple of notes...

-The weight pouches on the Hydros are a much simpler system to use for adding/removing weights and can be very easily used with one hand if you are like me and like to dump weights before climbing the ladder out since I have a pretty bad L knee. Any weight I can drop helps.

-The inflator valve on the Hydros is very well designed as a lever that you can manipulate in minute increments to really nail your trim. The Zeagle had a very basic one level adjustment that you had to keep popping in bursts. With the Hydros you can literally bleed tiny amounts of air from your tank into your bladder with high precision.

- I love being back into a single cam strap system versus the two strap system of the Zeagle.

- God this Hydros is so easy to rinse down without having to unvelcro the inside back foam to get the salt water out. And it really does shake dry without any foam.

-The price sucks, but in the end I'll probably dive this thing into oblivion.

I did dive a Medium Stiletto. It seems that the Hydros Large is a better fit for me overall because of the way it wraps around my sides. It is adjustable but the Zeagle had a bit more slack available in the cummerbund. My profile picture is the Zeagle AAMOF.

Thanks for the feedback. This really helps me out.

Thanks for the feedback. This really helps me out.
I tried on a Stiletto and found the medium to fit well. I tried on a Hydros when the Scubapro rep was visiting my LDS and the Large was perfect for me. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs.

One of the sales pitches from Scuba Pro is "Near-Zero inherent buoyancy means less lead." Can anyone who has used the Hydros Pro comment on whether they used less lead as compared to a traditional jacket style BCD? I dive 7mm in California and 1mm in Caribbean and am wondering if there would be a reduction in weight and if so how much?

I tried on a Stiletto and found the medium to fit well. I tried on a Hydros when the Scubapro rep was visiting my LDS and the Large was perfect for me. I'm 5'10" and 195lbs.
I am about the same body size to the T and this is exactly how the BCDs go for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom