Scubapro Hydros upgrade to BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP mentioned inside wrecks. Here a BPW is going to be a better choice
Agreed, right tools for the job.
Yet I am a recreational diver and diving in tropical waters with a rash guard up to a 3 mm wetsuit, single tank of course. No current intention to go into tech
I read this and posted my reply.
less entanglement concern in wrecks ? Al
He did mention this in post #4, I missed that, OK, point taken.

Anyway, for recreational diving in the tropics [which I am doing next week ] I will leave my BP/Ws at home and take the Hydros Pro [simple harness] as on the flight the weight allowance is 15 KG and 2Kg carry on, which is my spares kit and small backpack [Sessna caravan aircraft], the Scubapro BP/W is 5.35 Kg with harness and hardware ,the HOG BP/W is 4.75 kg, the Hydros Pro simple harness is 2.85 Kg.
So again, right tools for the job.
I tried an aluminium plate with the wing, but found I was better of with the Hydros pro.

Weighed all the gear I am taking at it is 14.6 kg, so it is board shorts and t shirts. :wink:

Edit: Usual typos.

I've had a Sherwood Silhouette for about the last 10 years, but in that time I've lost close to 60# and like lowwall said, it has a tendency toward "ending up around my ears". I found a screaming deal on a Dive Rite aluminum BP with Oxy Cheq wing, so if it works out as hoped, that will be my future floatation equipment. I'm hoping I'll be able to try it out in the next few days.
🐸

Semi off topic but may impact a person's decision on this topic...

Has anyone done rescue diver drills with a "victim" that's in a Hydros BC? I'm thinking in terms of taking the kit off the diver at the surface while dragging to the boat and doing rescue breaths etc. Does the "stickiness" of the Hydros hinder your ability to doff the BC from the diver? After unbuckling all the attachment points, you can usually just slide the BC off to the side under the diver. How does the Hydros grippiness change things if at all?
Yes. I have both demonstrated and performed Rescue Exercise 7 with a Hydros Pro. It is as easy to move away from the unresponsive diver as any other BCD. Easy to unclip the shoulder straps to get full access...no need to "chicken-wing" the victim's arm to get it off.

Also coming back from a BP/W I found the right shoulder dump "gold", I still use the bum dump, but there are times it is very handy .

Semi off topic but may impact a person's decision on this topic...

Has anyone done rescue diver drills with a "victim" that's in a Hydros BC? I'm thinking in terms of taking the kit off the diver at the surface while dragging to the boat and doing rescue breaths etc. Does the "stickiness" of the Hydros hinder your ability to doff the BC from the diver? After unbuckling all the attachment points, you can usually just slide the BC off to the side under the diver. How does the Hydros grippiness change things if at all?
I know what you’re taking about because I have a Hydros and it is indeed sticky. But taking it off is not a problem, just unclip the shoulder straps.

Hi, thanks all, good advices here. To fine tune the statement about wrecks , what’s on the plan is recreational wreck diving, no penetration. I was thinking of the elastic bands around the Hydros pro, whether those could be entangled when diving around a wreck in some cases

Hi, thanks all, good advices here. To fine tune the statement about wrecks , what’s on the plan is recreational wreck diving, no penetration. I was thinking of the elastic bands around the Hydros pro, whether those could be entangled when diving around a wreck in some cases
If you're rubbing up against stuff to the extent you could snag one of the bladder bungees, you probably shouldn't be doing any penetratuons.

I knew @BoltSnap would he here fighting for the Hydros LOL. Fighting the good fight 🤣
I love you man!!

I live to fight another day :)

Back
Top Bottom