Scubapro Hydros upgrade to BP&W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmaraziti

Registered
Reaction score
I own a ScubaPro Hydros pro,
I am a big guy , therefore the wing is the large model with about 40 lb of lift. Yet I am a recreational diver and diving in tropical waters with a rash guard up to a 3 mm wetsuit, single tank of course. No current intention to go into tech

Leaving economics aside, what advantage I’d have if I were to switch to a backplate/wing setup? Would there be a material difference ?

If you are a recreational diver, then economics would be everything. BPW is much cheaper (you can get a set of regulators, fins, mask, and the BPW for the same price), bombproof, and will probably last forever.

A Hydros pro on the other hand is just another BCD with plastic parts.

That being said, if you travel at all, since you already own a Hydros pro, you may actually prefer your existing BCD. It's very adjustable and easy to pack. Additionally, having the entire thing in a single package really convenient.

You may want to rent a BPW to try it out and see if you like diving with it better. Most people in this position haven't bought a Hydros pro yet. In your situation, the economic approach would be to actually stay with what you've already got so you don't have to buy yet another piece of gear.

The Hydros is a really good b/c, it handles its oversize wing well keeping it tucked in pretty tight.

the advantage to a bp/w is it’s modular nature using non proprietary parts. I wouldn’t be in a rush to move to a bp/w, just keep your eyes open for deals on the various bits.

thanks both

Is there any expected dynamic advantage of the BP&W ? Eg a noticeable better trim, more streamlined/less resistance , less entanglement concern in wrecks ? Al

thanks both

Is there any expected dynamic advantage of the BP&W ? Eg a noticeable better trim, more streamlined/less resistance , less entanglement concern in wrecks ? Al
I would say these are minor advantages, if perceptible at all. Some believe that with a steel BP, more of your total ballast is closer to your body, and the wing itself may more optimally locate the center of buoyancy. As for streamlining, a BP/W can help with that, but what other gear you have (or do not have) clipped to it matters more, in my opinion. The lack of any potentially buoyant padding is also sometimes cited as an advantage, and that may have some merit. But to me, these are almost trivial "advantages" over a good traditional BC. I have never dived a Hydros Pro, but my impression from reading others' opinions is that it's a very good BC.

Would I be reading too much into your post to conclude you are curious enough about a BP/W that you really want to try one, and what you are looking for here is more like confirmation? If economic considerations are not an issue, then by all means try one and compare for yourself. In the end, much of this decision comes down to individual preference.

I would say these are minor advantages, if perceptible at all. Some believe that with a steel BP, more of your total ballast is closer to your body, and the wing itself may more optimally locate the center of buoyancy. As for streamlining, a BP/W can help with that, but what other gear you have (or do not have) clipped to it matters more, in my opinion. The lack of any potentially buoyant padding is also sometimes cited as an advantage, and that may have some merit. But to me, these are almost trivial "advantages" over a good traditional BC. I have never dived a Hydros Pro, but my impression from reading others' opinions is that it's a very good BC.

Would I be reading too much into your post to conclude you are curious enough about a BP/W that you really want to try one, and what you are looking for here is more like confirmation? If economic considerations are not an issue, then by all means try one and compare for yourself. In the end, much of this decision comes down to individual preference.
Thanks Lorenzo, I might be lucky enough to try at no cost. The reason I mention economics is not an issue is because I got a great on my current Hydros Pro and still almost new , so I could probably sell it with no much or any loss

Leaving economics aside, what advantage I’d have if I were to switch to a backplate/wing setup? Would there be a material difference ?
None whatsoever for a recreational diver!! I actually switched to Hydros Pro from BP/W for my recreational diving. Hydros Pro has everything you will ever need as a recreational diver. It is a simpler BC to put on or adjust or do anything with. Quality is tops.

Again, no reason to ditch the Hydros which you already own to get a BP/W for recreational diving, none at all.

One possible advantage of a BPW is the crotch strap. I've got a long torso and a big belly. The waist strap of conventional BCDs tend to slip up my body anytime I'm vertical and especially on the surface, resulting in the BCD ending up around my ears unless I pull it down. With a BP/W, everything stays in place no matter what happens.

thanks both

I own and dive both. I would say, no, not really. If you use a stainless steel backplate you don't need to wear as much lead. that's about it. the hydros is so customizable it really is a BP/W for all intents and purposes (when stripped down with the travel harness), albeit a sticky one.

One possible advantage of a BPW is the crotch strap. I've got a long torso and a big belly. The waist strap of conventional BCDs tend to slip up my body anytime I'm vertical and especially on the surface, resulting in the BCD ending up around my ears unless I pull it down. With a BP/W, everything stays in place no matter what happens.
Thanks ! There’s an optional crotch strap for the hydros pro though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom