Input on our Accident and Incidents Forum... What do you want? How do you want it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a very bad example, IMHO. I watched to movie and I read all I can could find about it. Where is the accident analysis? I haven't seen it. They certainly don't talk about it in the movie.

Plura, Norway: Body recovery operation started

Heck, you can read the whole bloody thread.

I'm pretty sure I have read all of it. Most info is on the recovery not about what lead up to the actual accident.
There are a lot of things I still don't undertstand and AFAIK were not discussed or answered i. e.: in the video it looks like they were carrying very little BO, did they have a BOB per team? Did they set up the traverse prior to the dive? When were the BO tanks dropped on the far side and by whom? Did all the members of both teams knew both sections of the cave before they did the traverse? IMHO, as a cave diver, these things are crucial for analysing the accident.

I might have missed these points, but mostly people were talking about the recovery, which I don't think is very helpful at all and it's not analysing the accident. I not sure I've learned anything from that accident...

Last edited:
.... "Scuba Incidents, injuries and deaths".... Comments?

IMHO,,95% of the threads here are deaths,,,,everything else is a near miss. Don't think you can use the word "scuba" since we do cover freedivers deaths.
'Terminal Incidents'
'Final Dives'
'Non-resurfacing'
'Incomplete Dives'
'Non-refundable trips'

I'd vote to keep it simple that everyone worldwide can relate to " Accidents & Incidents"

I agree. "Incidents" are already covered in the forum title and I don't think there's a need to make changes based on semantics!

I'd vote to keep it simple that everyone worldwide can relate to " Accidents & Incidents"

I agree. "Incidents" are already covered in the forum title and I don't think there's a need to make changes based on semantics!
Thirded.

I'm pretty sure I have read all of it. Most info is on the recovery not about what lead up to the actual accident.
There are a lot of things I still don't undertstand and AFAIK were not discussed or answered i. e.: in the video it looks like they were carrying very little BO, did they have a BOB per team? Did they set up the traverse prior to the dive? When were the BO tanks dropped on the far side and by whom? Did all the members of both teams knew both sections of the cave before they did the traverse? IMHO, as a cave diver, these things are crucial for analysing the accident.

I might have missed these points, but mostly people were talking about the recovery, which I don't think is very helpful at all and it's not analysing the accident. I not sure I've learned anything from that accident...
That's because that thread was about the body recovery. The original accident thread was locked for cleanup and then was never unlocked. Which, btw, is something that scubaboard should stop doing.

The accident thread also has a vague title, which is something that I would have no issues with having a moderator fix when they run into them.

I was forwarded a note from someone who does accident analysis... only they've stopped calling them "accidents". The whole point of the note was to point out that the word "accident" trivializes the incident as something out of our control. Consequently, I've asked my Google Guru, @sphyon, to assess the impact a change of name would have on the forum. Maybe we need to call it something like "Scuba Incidents", "Scuba Incidents and Injuries" or even "Scuba Incidents, injuries and deaths". I'm sure I would still be keeping "accidents" as a Key Word for the forum. Comments?

I personally like accidents, as it places no blame on the victim until necessary. Without accident, I have to assume someone, probably the victem since the thread is about them, was at fault, which may or may not be the case.

The big difference is Near Misses... are threads by the participants, and Accidents... are overwhelmingly from newspaper reports. Perhaps give top or equal billing to Near Misses... and change Accidents... to Reported Incidents or something, I'm not good at making up catchy names.

Or how about Truth and Consequences, except Bob Barker or the owners of the show's name might get upset.

Bob

Semantics can be a funny thing; to my ear, 'incidents' sounds more trivializing than accidents, and it's common knowledge many accidents could have been prevented (speaking generally about accidents, not specific to scuba). I do not work in accident analysis; neither do most people who read threads in the A&I section I would think.

If a coworker mentioned to you there was an incident at work the other day, vs. that there was an accident, which would make you wonder the most whether it was serious, and whether anyone was hurt & how badly?

Richard.

I'd like to see the moderators tighten up on the immediate outpouring of prayers that seem to be auto generated by users. (There is a forum rule that is seldom enforced about this).

+LIKE TO INFINITY AND BEYOND!

From Google:

in·ci·dent
ˈinsəd(ə)nt/
noun
noun: incident; plural noun: incidents
an event or occurrence.
"several amusing incidents"
synonyms: event, occurrence, episode, experience, happening, occasion, proceeding, eventuality, affair, business; More

ac·ci·dent
ˈaksədənt/
noun
noun: accident; plural noun: accidents
an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
"he had an accident at the factory"
synonyms: mishap, misadventure, unfortunate incident, mischance, misfortune, disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, calamity;
technical casualty
"an accident at work"

Incident is more vague, although neither indicate specifically that someone died. If nobody died, doesn't it belong in the "near misses" section? A scuba incident could be "bob went diving" or "bob inflated his bcd at the surface" or "bob ran out of air and drowned". I think only the third one of those would be an accident.

In the end, does the name really matter to anyone except search engines? It doesn't matter to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom