Hog Classic Reg Adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doby45

Do I have something in my teeth?
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I have dual Hog Classic second stages hooked to my Hog D1 first stage. My primary second stage breathes perfectly and I have zero issues with it. My octo secondary needs a minor adjustment and I just wanted to see if any of you Hog guys could provide some insight.

The octo second will dribble a little air as if it is ever so slightly over pressurized. It will do this regardless of where the dive/pre-dive lever is and regardless of the position of the adjustment knob. It is annoying more than anything and breathes fine when in use. I know there is an adjustment inside the barrel where you attach the LP hose to the reg. I have not looked to see if it is an allen wrench in the hole or some other type of tool is required. Is this something that I can adjust about an 1/8 of a turn and see if that resolves the dribble?

Yes, my plan is to take the Hog regulator servicing class. I have worked on numerous high and low pressure regulators while in the paintball industry so it is not a brand new realm for me. Thanks in advance.

first, check your IP and make sure that your IP is stable, not creeping, and in spec.

If your IP is OK, then undo the low pressure hose, remove the face plate and diaphragm. With the lever facing up like you were breathing while laying on your back, adjust the adjustment knob until it is at it's lowest setting *easiest to breathe*, and then tap the lever a couple times. There shouldn't be much of any slack in there, and it should be sitting flush with the top of the case. If it isn't, then adjust the allen key inside of the hose connection until it is sitting flush with the case. Reassemble, and test, if it is still freeflowing, the seat may just need to be replaced

Thanks @tbone1004 , as I am slowly getting all my tools together for reg servicing anywho, I will check the IP and go from there!

While the dive/pre-dive setting should not be expected to have any effect on this problem, the fact that the user adjustment falied to have an effect suggests that it may well not be a simple tuning problem. does the leak stop when you remove the front cover and diaphragm?

Sounds to me like either an excessive IP or a weak spring.

well, it sounds to me more like the LP seat has taken a "set" If I didn't have a inline tool handy I would just unscrew the second stage from hose, insert allen key in oriface (the thing uyou see when you look in the hose inlet on the second stage that is hexed for a allen key)and turn it about an 1/8 of a turn clockwise, put hose on, put reg on tank turn on the air and see if it fixed it, if not would do another 1/8 turn and try again. 90% of the time that would fix it. If it didn't at that time I would start to consider all the rest of what is posted above.

When you hear hooves, unless on safari I assume horses, not zebras

well, it sounds to me more like the LP seat has taken a "set" If I didn't have a inline tool handy I would just unscrew the second stage from hose, insert allen key in oriface (the thing uyou see when you look in the hose inlet on the second stage that is hexed for a allen key)and turn it about an 1/8 of a turn clockwise, put hose on, put reg on tank turn on the air and see if it fixed it, if not would do another 1/8 turn and try again. 90% of the time that would fix it. If it didn't at that time I would start to consider all the rest of what is posted above.

When you hear hooves, unless on safari I assume horses, not zebras

If it were simply an orifice adjustment problem, why would the user adjustment knob have no effect on such a small leak (dribble)?

If it were simply an orifice adjustment problem, why would the user adjustment knob have no effect on such a small leak (dribble)?
because lots of folks dive with it screwed all the way in and/or also use it alot during their dives, as a result the lp seat can take a deeper set. Those of us that hardly ever use the adj knob don't see it as often. Since I went to SM over BM I have noticed that my regs take more of a set because I am using the adjustment knobs every time I switch seconds, and subsequently doing orifice adjustments much more often than on regs that I don't use in SM. Normally on my personal regs I do a readjustment after a couple hours of use then they don't get touched until/if I service them... except my SM regs, those I find I adjust every 6 months or so, about half the time because of a tiny leak and the other half because it isn't quite breathing as well as I like (I have a pretty well developed feel for how a reg is breathing but I am more attuned to it that most sane people)

If the fix I posted above doesn't work my next step would be the LP (provided the IP was good) and if that didn't fix it would then start to think the o'ring on the oriface. The spring would likely be the last thing I would check because it is just really, really rare to have that as the problem.

oh another reason why with SM I am tuning me regs more is because my diving in SM and caves has taken a much tighter turn than when diving BM, I am getting a ton of silt and sand etc in them on my dives... and I never rinse my regs unless diving in salt water... because I like seeing how they hold up, however I don't recommend that for the typical user, I have a vested interest in seeing that.

oh another reason why with SM I am tuning me regs more is because my diving in SM and caves has taken a much tighter turn than when diving BM, I am getting a ton of silt and sand etc in them on my dives... and I never rinse my regs unless diving in salt water... because I like seeing how they hold up, however I don't recommend that for the typical user, I have a vested interest in seeing that.

I don't think the guy that taught me how to service my HOG regs would approve. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom