My indepth review of the Hollis NeoTek Semi-Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

''Hollis Men's NEOTEK Semi-Drysuit'' i got this for only $269 no tax free two day shipping at amazon cause im a prime member. i decided to buy this suit thanks to the reviews on this board thanks a lot guys.. now i have to look for scuba lessons near my area...

Probably already answered...but here goes.

I have been using it extensively on dives since I purchased it, from off the coast of NC to the Saint Lawrence River and Lake Ontario.

Summary: Temps: 35F and below....don't do it. 35-40F 20-30 minutes, 41 to 65F, pleasant!, 66-75F, ok, but watch yourself, above 76F, no way.
Long story short, I love it, I use it extensively, I have owned 2 of them since this review started.

I wear a Medium and am 5'7" 178LBS, athletic build, suit fits well, even the hood. But for the gent that said he had hood fit issues, maybe trim it a bit? It does say (in the manual) you may need to trim it to fit it properly.

Using it in high 70s+ I wouldn't, I used it in 78 degree water on a beach dive and almost died of thermal exhaustion kicking back in and I am pretty fit, I had to unzip the chest zip and swim with all that extra drag. Anything in high 60s to low 70s or above I would use a 5m or 3m or nothing 84F in Truk I was diving to 180 feet in T-shirt and shorts.

In answer to keeping your feet and hands warm....I just use boots or gloves that I pull over the outside of the suit, works fine....even in high 30s water (for me). Though I'll admit, I won't stay longer than 30-40 minutes in this suit at those temps at depth. When I wear neoprene socks, same thing I pull it over the suit, not under it.

Lets see, Lake Ontario....I was fine until I passed 90 feet in November or December...it got cold quick and was uncomfortable after 30 mins. Deco was a bitch at deep stops on some of the dives I was on.

Saint Lawrence river was great top to bottom....but not much temperature change there.

Quarries, there are a number where I live, I use them to train....most are ok, One of them (Millbrook I think) Is absolutely miserable below 30 feet for me in this suit, and I tolerate cold well. Above 30 feet, even in winter I swam with the hood off, below the thirty foot platform, it was mid 30s and miserable. I couldn't do more than 20 mins.

Lets see, other things, it fits me well, though I have had two now in different sizes, so I see length issues presenting themselves (usually being too long). I don't have buoyancy issues with it at all, but I dive doubles all the time, either twin 100 steels or twin 80 ALs, no extra weight need for either, that is with or without two AL 40s for deco gasses. I don't have pulling issues, tightness issues etc... I did have issues when I wore a suit that was a size too small in the chest for me in getting it zipped closed, I could get it closed but I needed assistance. Same suit also made me feel like I was choking every now and then, due to the think neck dam it has.

I think that's it, be happy to answer any specific questions anyone has, and if someone wants me to try it somewhere or in some condition just ask, not only will I do it but be happy to take pictures and video too. If anyone is in VA or close by, just let me know and I would be happy to meet you with it so you can check it out too.

Last edited:
Oh yes, NC, fine once I got to depth (in Summer months) would have gotten warm quick had I stayed near the surface.

wow this suit fits super restricted under my arms and chest i am new to the sport but i think it might be too tight.. trying to reach back would be impossible. is this how a wetsuit should fit? does this suit expand in the water? and if so how much would it expand? some videos on youtube say wetsuits will expand 30% in the water,,, sorry for my newbie ignorance

some people have inquire about what seller on amazon i bought this suit from the seller is called Divecatalog and they have good ratings but please try to buy your suits from your local dive shop so you won't have the same problem im having unfortunately dive shops near me have gone out of business and other shops dont have that hollis suit,, i hear most local shops will try to match prices and personal customer service is worth a million to me plus i am a small business owner myself and will always try to give my business to a small business before i go to a giant like amazon..good luck hunting for a suit...

Aaaahhhh, you're listed as a PSD and don't know how a wetsuit should fit? o_O

In answer to your question, yes, it will be snug. I find that most beginners think that there suit is too tight, however, it is possible. This suit will not expand as much as a typical wetsuit, but it will expand. if it is not snug, then you'll get some "leakage" and WOO-HOO moments when the cold water enters the suit during a dive.

Aaaahhhh, you're listed as a PSD and don't know how a wetsuit should fit? o_O

In answer to your question, yes, it will be snug. I find that most beginners think that there suit is too tight, however, it is possible. This suit will not expand as much as a typical wetsuit, but it will expand. if it is not snug, then you'll get some "leakage" and WOO-HOO moments when the cold water enters the suit during a dive.
i cant find a way to update my profile how do i remove or change the psd status

oops i did listed like a psd i will try to correct that
You might want to change #of dives too while you're at it. The "I just don't log dives." is for those that have dived so much that logging is passe. It can come across as cocky. Here on the board, the more transparent you are the better chance you have of getting great support and help. :wink:

You might want to change #of dives too while you're at it. The "I just don't log dives." is for those that have dived so much that logging is passe. It can come across as cocky. Here on the board, the more transparent you are the better chance you have of getting great support and help. :wink:
done'' i changed the number of dives just to see if it would change the psd status, as good as i thought i was at software i cant find how to chage the psd status on my account

Back
Top Bottom