Considering Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My knife on my ankle is for digging into dirt as well as sawing and I have a smaller sharp knife on my bc inflator hose I am also looking into getting a pair of scissors to attach to my spg hose

Always...ALWAYS...be willing to not dive, or abort a dive, for whatever reason. Diving within your skills and comfort zone is important. Things will happen & you need to be able to deal with them calmly so minor things don't escalate.

To me...diving is not an adventure sport, it's a very wet and peaceful walk in the (kelp) forest. :D

Totally agree with this and to add on to it: Horrible accidents can happen. However, a lot of the time dive incidents happen because people get cocky, lazy, don't want to be the odd man out calling the dive even when they're not comfortable, don't service their equipment, take chances, task overload early on with a camera in hand before they've completed 5 dives much less 100 or whatever it takes before they're truly at one with diving, dive deep before they're ready, or try to keep up with their buddies who have been diving for years.

This seems to happen more often with newer divers (i.e., <50 dives). Be conservative. A great deal of the risk level with diving can be directly correlated to the positions divers put themselves in on a dive. You want to stay safe? It's up to you to keep yourself safe and I wish the OP a helluva lot of fun, safe diving!

My knife on my ankle is for digging into dirt as well as sawing

Mine, too. Plus for spearing flounders, wolffish and anglerfish. And cutting kelp if required. And of course a bunch of different uses topside at the site. That's why I like to call it a "multitool" even if it looks very much like a good, old-fashioned BFK :)

Welcome!

Hopefully you'll become an active participant - in both diving and on ScubaBoard! We can always use another voice in the conversation.

Ray

Back
Top Bottom