Doc Deep dies during dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. Just as Dave Shaws video does.

Some very prominent dive experts have gather some very useful data from David Shaw's tragic dive. And the video obtained will likely save someone's life someday although we won't ever know that.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2015 at 07:38 PM ----------

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Thread reopened... the discussion on setting records has been moved here.

--

This thread is closed for moderation. Many of you will see your posts disappear.
- All the blamestorming, righteous pontification, character assassinations, and the responses to them will be gone.
- Condolences will be gone.
- "Me too" posts will be gone.
- Posts with nothing to add will be gone.
- Off-topic posts will be gone.
This forum is for accident prevention. The methodology is action based. The essential question: What actions led to the mishap? The answers: the actions that will prevent a like mishap in the future.
Actions... not attitudes, or egos, or personality, or character or even experience.
Actions.
Lets review the rules:
Special Rules for the Accidents & Incidents Forum

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

New Rules:

Someone has died or been injured. Please show the proper dignity, etiquette and refrain from any demeaning remarks. We discourage the family from reading these threads, but you can bet they still will. Let's be civil, sensitive and still remain relevant. This forum is only intended for learning and not assigning blame.
This is a strict 'No Troll' and 'No Chest Thumping' zone. It's not the place to keep repeating your favorite topic no matter how important or relevant you may imagine it to be. Nor is it the place to tell us how this wouldn't have happened if they dove/taught the way you do.
You may not use real names here, until after they have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) Please cite the source if you do.
Discussions should only be about the causes, theories and remedies for these accidents. Off topic posts or those with off topic comments may be removed without notice. Condolences, including comments indicating surprise and indignation, should be kept to the Passings Forum, legal action should be kept to the Scuba Related Court Cases Forum and so forth.
If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, please cite the source. Links are preferred.
Those who can not seem to follow these rules will have their access to this forum quickly revoked. As always, you should use the report button rather than bicker about possible infractions in the thread.

And let's review what is meant by "blamestorming":
Accident analysis is the business of identifying mishap causes and recommending actions to prevent a repeat mishap.
Who's to blame doesn't matter.
The laying of blame, extraction of justice, punishment, liability, etc - all these are the business of the courts (and to satisfy our inner need for balance and justice in the universe), but they don't really address mishap prevention. Mishap prevention involves actions.
Example:
Lets say the causes of a mishap are all actions taken by a boat's captain.
Mishap analysis would identify those actions as causes, and recommend other actions that would prevent (or greatly reduce the chance of) the mishap in the future. Nothing about liability, fault, blame, punishment etc would be addressed in the mishap analysis because those are not actions that would prevent the mishap.
Example: "The boat didn't have enough fuel on board to conduct a search." might be identified as a cause of a mishap, and mishap analysis would recommend "that a boat always carry enough fuel to conduct a search" on every dive. Why the boat didn't have enough fuel, who made the decision to carry too little fuel, whose fault it is that the boat had too little fuel, etc, are all questions for regulators and courts, not mishap analysis. And it may be that there's no blame anyway - it could be that a new standard needs to be set because this mishap revealed a flaw in the current standard.
The general theme of mishap analysis is that all mishaps are preventable, even when no one is at fault. For example, all diving mishaps are preventable by not diving in the first place.
Mishap analysis doesn't waste time asking "what was he thinking?" either, but rather asks "what did he do?" We can agonize all day long about why Joe didn't ditch his weights when ditching his weights would have saved him, but it doesn't really matter. The action that will prevent a repeat of Joe's mishap is "ditch weights."
--
What we're trying to do in the A&I forum is to provide a forum for a Safety type analysis of mishaps; to identify actions that lead to mishaps and actions that can prevent mishaps. The mishap analysis mindset is difficult for those who lack formal training in it, as our natural tendencies are to find out who or what to blame and seek justice.
Just remember that justice isn't going to prevent future mishaps. It is changes in behavior that prevents recurrence of mishaps.
Rick
--
Rick

---------- Post added August 17th, 2015 at 06:18 PM ----------

It have to be room to discus the decisions and behavior of the victim of a diving accident when analyzing an accident, the best ting we as a community can do after accident is to learn from it, by having taboos like "don't criticize the deceased diver", we will just hinder this learning process. And if there is evidence to say that the decisions , training, experience, dunning Kruger effect, state of mind or other things that might paint a not so good picture of the deceased played a role in the accident, it must be allowed to say so.
There is no need to criticize the deceased diver to find out what the diver did that caused the mishap. Nor is there any need to get all wound up trying to figure out why... the "why?" just doesn't matter, so long as the *action* that caused the mishap is properly identified and isn't repeated.
I know there's this deep seated human desire to know what underlies the decision that led to the bad action - it's so much easier if we can point to some defect in training, lack of experience, personality, motive, thought processes, etc, etc, ad nauseum, but it just doesn't matter. You can find well trained, experienced, mentally stable, smart, healthy, people screwing up a perfectly planned dive and dying because they made a fatal mistake, they did "A." If action "A" resulted in the mishap, and Action "B" will prevent it in the future, all anyone really needs to know is that you don't do "A" and you do do "B"
:)
Rick

Last edited:
I hope they recover his body and post the results of his computer/gopro soon. I am very interested to see what went wrong.

USCG policy makers and investigators are a bunch of clowns.

Good job. Assuming they are indeed reading this thread, no doubt calling them "a bunch of clowns" will surely nudge them in the right direction.

posts relating to world record attempts belong in an open forum... Not behind the closed doors of T2T.
Agreed. The details of a dive plan to set a record are beyond most of us, but the philosophy of setting records isn't.

I got a notification that somebody liked a post of mine that lists the thread as "hidden content". It seems that not only am I not allowed to read a post I wrote, I'm not even permitted to know the title of the thread it's in.

More details about the deep dive at the article below. Guy Garman did not want his body recovered if anything went wrong, so we may never know what happened. Does that mean that they will they just cut the line?

'Stellar diver' disappears into the deep - News - Virgin Islands Daily News

'Stellar diver' disappears into the deep
By GERRY YANDEL (Daily News Staff)
Published: August 17, 2015

The last time diver Kip Garman would see his father, Dr. Guy Garman - the prominent ear, nose and throat physician on St. Croix - would be when they were about 200 feet underwater Saturday morning and Guy Garman was descending to 1,200 feet in pursuit of a deep dive world record.

The doctor planned his record attempt for about two years, but - with his 20-year-old son as one of the two support divers who took him down on the initial descent - Guy Garman never came back up.

He is presumed to be dead, though his body was not recovered following a search Saturday morning and into the afternoon of the dive area, just off Long Reach, the barrier reef that acts as a breakwater outside Christiansted Harbor.

"He never made it back. They stayed as long as they could," Capt. Ed Buckley, referring to the support divers expecting Garman to return from the bottom to an air station at about 350 feet on the dive line.

"They left some of the tanks tied off along the line, so even if he was running really late and they had to leave...," Buckley said, his voice trailing off.

"We kept deep divers in the water looking for anything, but they never saw the first bubble from him," he said.

Buckley is the owner of St. Croix Ultimate Bluewater Adventures, the place where Garman began his training doing what he loved. Buckley captained the dive boat Saturday morning, and he said Garman went into the water at 6 a.m., right on schedule.

In addition to seven tanks Garman was wearing, 28 other tanks were prepared and ready to be used during the dive that was scheduled to last 10 hours and 25 minutes.

In addition to the dive boat, two other vessels were at the site, and Garman's wife also was on hand for the record-breaking attempt.

The previous record for a deep scuba dive was 1,090 feet - set in September by 41-year-old Ahmed Gabr, an Egyptian who set the mark in the Red Sea.

Detailed planning

Guy Garman had had the dive line installed himself - a 1,300-foot line sunk into the sea floor with a 250-pound anchor - and he had meticulously planned the record attempt.

Buckley said the physician had far surpassed his trainers - whose highest-rated level is at 65 meters, or about 215 feet.

"He just advanced so far beyond that," Buckley said. "His own research and planning and plotting put him well above the level of the deep instructors he got certified with."

Garman planned his record attempt to the last detail.

"He'd gone over everything very meticulously with all the support staff," Buckley said. "He'd tell them, "If I have a seizure, this is what you do. If this happens, this is what you do.'

"He was treating the whole thing as being a scientist, not a recreational thing," Buckley said. "He had personally talked to anyone who had made a serious attempt like that, the super deep divers, the ones who go deeper than 900 or 1,000 feet. Most of them kept their preparation plans proprietary. Garman said he was going to release his plans."

The dive

Garman's last deep dive was in early April, when he made the solitary descent to 815 feet - a depth that only about a dozen deep divers in the world have reached.

In a deep dive, once Garman gets in the water, the support divers do all the work - holding him so he doesn't have to exert against the current and dropping to 200 feet before letting him go.

"They do a bubble check and make sure nothing is leaking," Buckley said.

For Saturday's dive, Garman had three oversized "monster" tanks and four double tanks, and he was wearing three computers and a videocamera, according to Buckley.

Kip Garman and another diver took Guy Garman down the dive line, letting him breathe off their tanks so he could conserve his special mixtures of gas needed for the deep dive.

From the 200-foot mark, Garman's goal was to drop to the 1,200-foot mark and then ascend to the 350-foot mark as quickly as possible.

"He's trying to minimize the amount of time he's down there with that kind of pressure," Buckley said.

Besides the videocamera and computers to verify that Garman had reached the record mark, he also had to mark the dive line.

"He also had a clip-on little marker that he would have clipped on the line," Buckley said. "Then we go back and retrieve that line and then you can measure. That's what it would take to satisfy the Guinness people that it was a true record."

From the time Garman got in the water to the bottom and then back up to the 350-foot mark was estimated at 38 minutes.

The rest of the dive was scheduled to take almost 10 hours as Garman gradually makes his way to the surface - stopping every 10 feet.

"At that point, it is all decompression," Buckley said "At various spots along the way they do gas switches to increase the amount of oxygen and decrease the amount of nitrogen.

"There are two divers at all times with him, swapping out tanks," Buckley said. "They had hot soup, medical help available, lots of support staff ready once he got back into shallower range. We will probably not ever know what happened."

Recovery efforts

After he never reappeared Saturday morning, search crews patrolled the harbor looking for signs of Garman. He was tethered to the dive line, so there is little possibility that his body surfaced elsewhere.

Buckley said the discussions he has been involved in have been about recovering Garman's body later this week.

One thing that makes recovery difficult is the 250-pound anchor embedded in the sea floor as well as all the equipment attached to it and the tanks Garman was wearing, which he said probably weighs close to 700 pounds.

The other thing that may be delaying the recovery is some of Garman's final instructions.

"His wishes were that if something went wrong the body not be retrieved," Buckley said. "That is his family's wishes as well. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are."

On Sunday afternoon, Buckley said he and some of his staff were sipping mimosas somewhere on the Christiansted boardwalk, trying to unwind from the stress and mental fatigue of losing their good friend in such an agonizing way.

"We're not only losing a friend, we're losing a colleague and a stellar diver, especially somebody who researched the deep diving world," Buckley said. "And the island is losing an awesome physician. The whole island loses in that respect."

- Contact Gerry Yandel at 714-9106 or email gyandel@dailynews.vi.

A friend of mine tuned me onto this happening a while back. I was genuinely curious, although I've never really understood the desire to spend such a pleasant activity staring at a number on your wrist trying to make it go higher (that's just me, of course!). But, from his description of Dr. Garman, it sounded like this was a longtime diver experienced well beyond anyone I have ever met. I watched for an update, like many did - and was very saddened to hear what happened.

In the aftermath, I was shocked to hear this weekend he was only a diver of four years, less than 600 dives and trying to break this record. I've been diving for over 30 years and I cannot believe at that experience level someone would believe they were able to effectively begin even regular technical diving, let alone push the extreme boundaries of it. I think there needs to be some real evaluation at how this was even allowed to be attempted, let alone encouraged. It doesn't sound like they even did much planning for this potential outcome, they seemed to be just thinking about taking their victory photo on the dock. I've seen several very good questions asked here (not "hatefulness"), and I have to wonder were these questions raised by those that helped him?

This death will be pointless if we allow it to be. We need to learn from it, and the way to do that is to ask questions - not just express sympathy. Of course we are all saddened by this.

I also fall into this group. Saw this casually, thought - another really experienced diver trying for a record - not my cup of tea, but whatever. The tag line "understood and knew more about deep technical diving than anyone on the planet" gave rise to the conclusion that this must be someone with thousands of dives and years and years of experience. To find that this was a diver that had only been diving for four years with 600 or so dives was a real shock. To find that there is a commercial outfit Scuba Tec out there that was actively encouraging him and aiding him to do these kinds of dives with that low an experience level AND actively promoting him as someone that knows a lot about deep diving is appalling.

For what it is worth IMHO from what little I have read this company is pretty close to the line re negligence. I suspect that they have many many waivers etc, but given the true level of experience and knowledge of this man, supporting him and encouraging him to do this kind of dive might go over the line to be sufficiently negligent so as to make the waivers irrelevant.

Again IMHO it would be a good thing for lawyers to have a run at this company - might put them out of business and save a couple of lives - or at least tone down the rah rah rah rhetoric re deep bounce diving. Yes I know that we all have every right to do stupid things that might kill us, but we don't need a cheering section to reinforce our ignorance, take our money and assist in the process.

The discussion on possible regulatory and/or legal action has been moved here.

Back
Top Bottom