How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Always.......even when training in the pool. Shop requires ALL instructors to be fully equipped but that being said - I wouldn't dream of going in the ocean without a marker.

DSMB with me on all dives. It gets deployed (from depth) if I am surfacing away from a boat (anchor line) or close to the shore. I don't drag one around since I dive in kelp forests.

Interesting use of names here - to me an SMB - surface marker buoy, is an inflated towed buoy that remains on the surface throughout the entire dive. In Cyprus when shore diving I always take one of these because there are sometimes jet ski's, fisherman and so on close in to shore as well. Actually they are quite good at not getting close, mainly I suppose because they are very used to spear fishermen, who also use these.

A DSMB - delayed Surface marker buoy - is a bright coloured inflatable sausage that is attached to a reel and inflated from a regulator, BC inflator hose, or by mouth, and is sent up when ascending at the end of a dive. To me the purpose of a DSMB is to let the boat know where you are. It gives me a point of reference whilst surfacing in open water, and makes decompression stops easier and more comfortable.

When ascending from a boat dive, if I am not coming up a shot line, then I will always deploy a DSMB. Usually from around 10 metres but sometimes a little deeper, and then just reel it in as I surface. - Phil.

In all seriousness though, as a boat operator, do you like seeing them pop or are they just a waste of time to you?
Cheers

For drift dives, they are critical good things, otherwise you might try to occupy the same space as say a propeller. That would be on the minus side. From a moored dive, I don't like to see them at all, it means you are lost. We sometimes get them to pop up right beside the boat now that we have newer quieter generators.... :)

I carry a bag on all boat dives, and on shore dives in areas where we might surface a long way from shore, or there is boat traffic.

Almost all our charters in Puget Sound are live boat, because we have a lot of current and it's sometimes quirky. Unless the boat is moored and I am coming up the buoy line, I shoot a bag from around 30 feet. I know from experience running a boat that it is very comforting to see those bags come up and know where your teams are.

Normally I drift dive Coz, I normally will deploy my own SMB if there is not one already deployed close by prior to surfacing. There are usually a lot of boats in the area and if not launched for safety then there is also the rudeness factor. Its rude to surface unannounced in front of a moving boat, it ain't just about you. I like to launch from about 40' so my bouy fully inflates on the surface.

Last edited:
Based on my own experiences as a diver/instructor in Oregon and seeing the locations of people commenting here, why is it that this is a skill and piece of gear used everywhere BUT the west coast? I know it’s catching on now, but we never used or promoted them years ago. I’ve carried a safety sausage for ages, but the whole idea of a reel and deploying it from depth didn’t come up until I tried fundies, then again in tech courses. It’s small, easy, and safe, so why didn’t it migrate west?

I do this:
In areas where there is possible boat traffic and/or it is a strictly enforced law, I tow a dive flag.
I have never used an flag or any SMB type of apparatus where I dive in Nova Scotia--no boats or people to see it. Ever.
On all charter dives or shore dives that may involve serious or possibly unknown changes in current, I carry a sausage (haven't used it yet).
---On such dives I also carry Dive Alert.
My experience in inflating a sausage includes doing it from 120' and ascending reeling it in during the Deep course.
My experience inflating a lift bag to use as a SMB includes doing this as an AOW student and demonstrating it as a DM.

So, 90% of the time I do none of these things.

Last edited:
I carry a DSMB, and use it regularly on live pickup dives, from either the start of my ascent, or the first stop, depending on depth and profile.

I sometimes use it when I hear a lot of boat traffic in some shore dive spots, just so a boat or I aren't as surprised when the time comes.

Otherwise, it stays in my pocket waiting for a deployment of the above, or for training, or for when things aren't just working out how they should have during the dive.

BRad

just bought one (smb) so yes i guess

Do you think you can get into the habit of using it? I also bought one but didn't use it, because I never see anybody else using it where I dive. I think it would be good to start using it regularly. If get accustomed to using it every time I can develope a good habit that my save mine and my dive buddies life some day. Even if where you are diving seems completely safe you never know when some fishing boat, jet ski sail boat etc... is going to cruise right over you. Better to be safe than dead, is the irony behind this thread. Besides by developing this habit you will automatically do it in other places where it may be pretty risky not to.

This is something that should probably be a requirement in scuba training because I believe it is relevant safety measure which should be physically performed by students as part of their training.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 11:06 PM ----------

I carry a DSMB on every dive. UK skippers will insist you surface on either the shot line or a DSMB. It amazes me that many do not consider DSMB deployment a vital skill.

I am glad all of you chimed in and made me more aware of the importance of how to use this device. From what I have gathered when using the DSMB (which is what I have) most deploy it right before their ascent. This is probably easier than at the safety stop I presume.

When inflating the DSMB (deployed surface marker buoy) you will use the Octo reg to inflate.Correct?
Then you will reel in the line as you ascend to surface or first safety stop. Am I correct on this or is there some thing else I should know on how to use the DSMB correctly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom