How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part here in Hawaii, I carry a DSMB or lift bag but don't use it much. I surface right on the rocks on shore dives, and right next to the boat on boat dives, so no point. Drift dives are of course a different story.

Search youtube for dSMB deployment. You'll find good instructional videos on how to do it. And some on how NOT to do it :D

I discovered the trick with clipping the double-ender onto the line that way. It's a very smart way to take up line slack and reduce the risk of getting wrapped up in line :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Do you think you can get into the habit of using it? I also bought one but didn't use it, because I never see anybody else using it where I dive. I think it would be good to start using it regularly. If get accustomed to using it every time I can develope a good habit that my save mine and my dive buddies life some day. Even if where you are diving seems completely safe you never know when some fishing boat, jet ski sail boat etc... is going to cruise right over you. Better to be safe than dead, is the irony behind this thread. Besides by developing this habit you will automatically do it in other places where it may be pretty risky not to.

This is something that should probably be a requirement in scuba training because I believe it is relevant safety measure which should be physically performed by students as part of their training.

---------- Post added May 5th, 2015 at 11:06 PM ----------

I am glad all of you chimed in and made me more aware of the importance of how to use this device. From what I have gathered when using the DSMB (which is what I have) most deploy it right before their ascent. This is probably easier than at the safety stop I presume.

When inflating the DSMB (deployed surface marker buoy) you will use the Octo reg to inflate.Correct?
Then you will reel in the line as you ascend to surface or first safety stop. Am I correct on this or is there some thing else I should know on how to use the DSMB correctly.

The first rule of deploying a DSMB is to be ready to let go of it if it jams. You do not want to be dragged to the surface. Make sure that the reel is not clipped on to you as in the case of a jam you will go up. Do not unwind the reel before filling with air as the free line will wrap around something and cause a jam or pull you up.

Try to have a visual reference so you know when you are floating up or sinking. Try not to get task focused.

It is a skill many people find hard, especially in mid water. You should get someone to show you how to do it.

This is something that should probably be a requirement in scuba training because I believe it is relevant safety measure which should be physically performed by students as part of their training.

The only courses I took that included DSMB use was the PADI Self Reliant Diver and IANTD Tri-Mix, however I have been carrying and using one for quite a few years.

Instruction is pretty useful if you have never used one before

I am glad all of you chimed in and made me more aware of the importance of how to use this device. From what I have gathered when using the DSMB (which is what I have) most deploy it right before their ascent. This is probably easier than at the safety stop I presume.

Yes but if you don't have an OP valve on it be careful, saying that I have never seen one pop yet.

When inflating the DSMB (deployed surface marker buoy) you will use the Octo reg to inflate.Correct?
Then you will reel in the line as you ascend to surface or first safety stop. Am I correct on this or is there some thing else I should know on how to use the DSMB correctly.

I inflate mine orally, however you can also use a spare LP inflator hose if the DSMB is fitted with the appropriate connector

The first rule of deploying a DSMB is to be ready to let go of it if it jams. You do not want to be dragged to the surface. Make sure that the reel is not clipped on to you as in the case of a jam you will go up. Do not unwind the reel before filling with air as the free line will wrap around something and cause a jam or pull you up.

Reel? I prefer a spool, for several reasons:

* It's cheaper
* It takes up less room in my pocket
* It can't jam
* If you lose your hold on it while shooting the bag, it hovers in front of you while unwinding. You only have to extend your hand and take it again.

Now I have to admit I prefer to shoot my dSMB from relatively shallow depths. If we're talking about shooting a dSMB from deeper water, I can see the advantage of reeling in instead of spooling up some 30-40 m of line.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I carry at least 2 DSMB's on each boat dive (95% of my diving) and typically shoot one from depth when ascending away from the wreck. As mentioned before, UK skippers usually want you to come up on a bag or the shot line. Drifting along whilst doing stops is a lot more relaxing than swinging in the wind when a current is ripping!

I tend to use a crack bottle on my DSMB (sometimes called a DSMBi I think), coupled to a reel - I find a reel easier to wind in a long line. Definitely a skill to practice regularly.

-Mark

One for recreational, two for tec and three for really ow wreck dive.
For recreation dive I normally shot the bag at 9m.
For tec dive I shot the bag at 21m(after deco gas change). I used to use reel but had changed to spool for nearly 10yrs.

How you inflate the bag depends on the type you bought. Some have open ends, with or without a duckbill valve, and are filled by purging a regulator. Those aren't a great idea in cold water, because you can initiate a freeflow that way. Some have an oral inflation tube, and others have a tube you can use for oral inflation or plug an LP inflator hose into. Small bags are pretty easy to inflate orally (easier if you send them up earlier, because you have to put less gas in them to have them full at the surface). Larger bags are not so good that way, because it may take several breaths of air to get enough into them, and maintaining your buoyancy for the time it takes to do that, while hanging onto an increasingly buoyant bag, is not easy!

There are several ways you can get into significant trouble deploying an SMB, and it's a good idea to watch the videos and if possible, get some instruction and/or mentoring. I think Rick Inman's story of getting caught on his bag and dragged to the surface from 70 feet is still somewhere on this board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom