Is there a hand signal for "wait a moment" or something similar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to ask my instructor this (what should I do if I'm not quite ready?) and he told me to use the 'stop sign' hand.
That wasn't real intuitive for me, because stop means stop, and I just wanted wait...

But it works, and it is what I use now.

Coming from the military we would use the close fist to signal stop while on patrol. As others have said this is easily recognized in other industries too.

I would recognize any of the signals mentioned above...just think about them and put them into context.

As a safe diver ALL hand signals should be reviewed with your dive buddy. If this is your first dive together than review them all; if you dive with a regular dive buddy then you should be familiar with each other's signal but a review never hurts. If you are a Solo Diver you pre-dive check should be quick when you review your signals ... as long as you can agree what your signals should be :d

"Slow down" signal (patting hands palms down on an invisible table) followed by index finger pointing up. I think most US english speakers can translate that as "hold on 1 moment".

I'm not sure whether I'd get anything but 'Ok, he's a hand swimmer and wants to ascend but not end the dive' out of that, but slow down sure as Hell ain't the first thing it brings to mind.

Like the signals someone linked above, I read a traffic cop's raised palm as a HALT/NO-GO command (i.e., tiny female buddy points at tiny narrow hatch and gives you the questioning eyes while starting towards it...eeerrrr, no), while the raised fist is an OK sign for HOLD/WAIT ON MY SIGNAL to be acknowledged and which requires further action/communication from the diver who uses it (i.e., check gas and signal no-go for a new segment/turn; check/fix line placement and signal OK/MOVE ON, etc.)

Closed fist palm forward for 'hold'. Buddy returns the 'hold' sign and stays put and waits for further info. Great for getting a diver to just STOP.

Sometimes followed with additional info, but that can sometimes lead to confusion.

In OW classes and from that point on my students are taught that a closed fist held up means stop. Then index finger or whatever as maybe it's two minutes.

A flat palm means freeze. Literally freeze in whatever position they are in. I rarely use it but it helps when I see something that needs immediate correction and I want the student to understand that whatever they are doing, or whatever I see, needs immediate attention.

Then what I will do is make the correction OR guide their hand to the octo that has somehow come undone, the SPG not re clipped after checking, or the mono line they just swam into is starting to wrap around them or their gear, etc. I most often want them to fix the problem themselves. Guiding the hand insures they understand how I want it addressed. No need to get vertical, keep moving, etc.

what chilly in Canada said. Of course, the effectiveness of any hand signal is that the person you are trying communicate with is attentive and sees it. ANother argument for close buddy proximity. Make eye contact prior to initiating any had signal.
DivemasterDennis

I signal the number one (index finger pointed up) and then touch the top of my left wrist (where a watch might be) for "one minute". A closed fist (palm toward other diver) for an indefinite stop. Open palm, face down but angled up in a pumping motion for slow down.

Back
Top Bottom