DIN-Yoke Adapters, reasons to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tanks at home are all DIN (except my pony) but when I travel I take my adapter so I can use the rental tanks wherever I go (DIN or yoke). I've never had a DIN o-ring fail in the adapter (although I have had a few yoke o-rings do so).

Surely the reason for DIN is that you can get din tanks filled to a higher pressure ie 3500psi. That means a smaller tank and less weight over ally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely the reason for DIN is that you can get din tanks filled to a higher pressure ie 3500psi. That means a smaller tank and less weight over ally

There are two (three now, theoretically four!) DIN types.

There are ones rated to 232 bar and these can usually be fitted with an adapter plug as discussed. There are also 300 bar ones and these have more threads and can't usually take an adapter plug.

There is a third now in Europe which is supposed to be used for Nitrox cylinders. It is a 232 bar rated valve but the thread diameter is M26 rather than G5/8. In theory there should be a 300 bar rated M26 DIN valve too.

Steel tanks are usually smaller than ally simply because the higher material strength allows for thinner wall thickness reducing the overall external size. 300 bar steel cylinders do have thicker walls and are therefore heavier than the equivalent volume* 232 bar cylinder but the overall external size difference is actually minimal.

*metric cylinder volume is measured in the litres of water the cylinder would hold if you took the valve off and filled it with water.

All my Apeks reg are DIN but I need to convert them to Yoke for recreational dive so I bought two adapters many yrs ago. Never like them, extra weight and too close to the back of my head, so I bought couple of Yoke fittings to replace them.
I call ahead to find out what the dive shop is using for their tank valves and prepare my 1st stages accordingly. I have noticed over last few yrs that dual purpose tank valve is quite common. GREAT. Converting DIN to Yoke or vice versa is easy but I need to replace the O-ring(AP1409) every time.

There are two (three now, theoretically four!) DIN types.

There are ones rated to 232 bar and these can usually be fitted with an adapter plug as discussed. There are also 300 bar ones and these have more threads and can't usually take an adapter plug.

There is a third now in Europe which is supposed to be used for Nitrox cylinders. It is a 232 bar rated valve but the thread diameter is M26 rather than G5/8. In theory there should be a 300 bar rated M26 DIN valve too.

Steel tanks are usually smaller than ally simply because the higher material strength allows for thinner wall thickness reducing the overall external size. 300 bar steel cylinders do have thicker walls and are therefore heavier than the equivalent volume* 232 bar cylinder but the overall external size difference is actually minimal.

*metric cylinder volume is measured in the litres of water the cylinder would hold if you took the valve off and filled it with water.

Am I correct in saying a DIN 1stage will work in all types of tank DIN valves? I also assume that the plugged valves have less thread so therefore the DIN stage will not screw in so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I correct in saying a DIN 1stage will work in all types of tank DIN valves? I also assume that the plugged valves have less thread so therefore the DIN stage will not screw in so far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, DIN first stages have threads long enough to seat in a 300 bar valve. On a 232 bar valve those extra threads are simply exposed.*

Din filling adapters from a compressor are a different matter though. 300 bar ones, as well as having more thread also have a pin protruding from the end. This theoretically prevents a 300 bar supply line being connected to a 232 bar cylinder.

*that is a generality that is almost universally true. I have seen some 232 bar DIN first stages that wouldn't seat in a 300 bar cylinder valve but they're as rare as hen's teeth.

I thought the reason for using DIN was so you can smack your reg on an overhead and not have it fall off the tank?

Mechanical strength of a DIN tank-reg connection is ONE reason for using DIN, not "the" reason. This reason is only of interest to cave and wreck divers. This was mentioned in another thread in recent months. As I recall, nobody in the discussion could say they had ever heard of a yoke tank-reg connection being compromised in a recreational environment. It's simply a non-consideration from what I understand.

. . . As I recall, nobody in the discussion could say they had ever heard of a yoke tank-reg connection being compromised in a recreational environment. It's simply a non-consideration from what I understand.

Here's one. I was diving in a lava cavern with a recreational dive op, when the DM hit her yoke reg in the roof, causing the o-ring to become unseated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom