Diver dies searching sunken South Korean ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two divers have died ? Six are seriously injured ? The authorities should get the professional recovery divers in ! That will also help families get closure sooner rather than never ! Must be very bad conditions if the recovery is having such a great toll on the current divers. Sad to hear about this.

I can't remember where I read it but I saw that the dive recovery team consisted of well over 500 divers working in shifts due to limited bottom time.

It's no excuse but maybe puts into context the number of incidents that occurred.

I live in Japan and in many ways Korea has a similar mentality of group loyalty, much stronger than in western countries. It may be that peer pressure also meant that individual divers pushed harder then they really wanted to.

The horrific videos released from the mobile phones of victims is testament to this. Ordinary people obeyed ridiculous instructions to stay put even though the ship was going down.

500 divers many I bet on their first job I'd say.

30-40m, get an international sat team of a crew experienced in deep search and recovery. Nobody should die or be getting bent or any type of injury. My heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy and understand the drive to give closure, but you just don't risk lives (or quality of life) to recover the dead, let alone up the body count.

Does my head in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

South Korea had by far the most cases of DCS of any country reported to DAN Asia Pacific in 2012, like as many as all others in the region combined. Whatever the reason is for that, poor education or a culture of pushing the limits, it is not a good thing to combine with an unprecedented search and recovery effort like the one they have underway.

I think they can safely say that there are no survivors trapped inside the ferry at this point. I wonder if the powers that be would consider it too high a cost to keep sending divers in while the ferry is at the place it's at now. Seems terrible to add more loss on top of the already tragic loss of life.

South Korea had by far the most cases of DCS of any country reported to DAN Asia Pacific in 2012, like as many as all others in the region combined.

That's surprising. I could be mistaken but Korea does not have a strong culture of sea swimming, much less diving (abalone/sea urchin female divers of Jeju island being an exception). I'd fathom most divers are Navy affiliated and it's unlikely that diving incidents in the military would be reported to DAN.

I am living in South Korea now. I can tell you the toll on the divers is unbelievably bad. There have been two divers die and fourteen hospitalized with DCS. Six are very serious and are currently experiencing various levels of paralysis.
You posted that on May 17, but the fatality of the 30th seems to be the second. See AOL.com Article - 2nd diver dies in search of South Korean ferry

I was in Korea in November and the sinking of the Sewol ferry is still a major subject of public interest, anger, controversy, and debate. There were reports of court proceedings involving the company and crew members while I was there.

Even when the news reports were in Korean, I frequently saw images of the sinking vessel on the TV screen. At first I thought that there must have been another sinking of a different ferry; because the images appeared on so many channels - but then I realized that the reports were related to April's tragedy of the Sewol sinking but that the news was about the trials.

There is still much evidence of public anger. I saw billboards in multiple languages demanding justice for the families of victims and I saw people picketing on the street and waving placards, but I don't know the significance of the location of the demonstration, maybe it was the court building or near the memorial, I only saw it from a taxi.

It was all peaceful, there was no violence but you could see the passion and anger in the faces of the people. Other people want the tragedy to be over and the healing to begin; they feel that the country is being held hostage by the grief of the families and all the media frenzy.

I didn't quite understand it all but apparently there are a small number of very wealthy and powerful families that own many of South Korea's major industries, including the maritime company that owned and operated the Sewol ferry. There were accusations that this family operated "above the law" and that was a major factor in the violations (cargo overloaded, ballast underweighted, illegal ship modifications, poor crew training) that contributed to the disaster.

There was much criticism of the rescue efforts that seemed inefficient and poorly coordinated. In fact, the entire ROK Coast Guard is being completely restructured under new leadership. The Prime Minister also resigned because of the Sewol, not only because of the bungled rescue operation but also because of the inadequate and incorrect information that was disseminated.

But there was also much praise for the individual rescuers including divers, called martyrs, that gave their lives to assist survivors, search for bodies, and investigate this tragic event. I know that they were still searching for bodies in October but I don't know how long that could continue after the weather turned colder.

South Korea is a beautiful, modern, charming country and the people are friendly and welcoming. I really enjoyed my visit, but even an outsider like me could see that the sinking of the Sewol has had a major impact and will bring about many future changes - in government, culture, military structure, and society.

Maybe this is all old news to many, but being there made me much more aware of the tragedy and its aftermath. I didn't realize all of the many deep and far-ranging consequences that have taken place (and will continue to occur) because of the Sewol sinking.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom