Sidemount gear configuration practices - 4 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. 7' on the left tank. 30" on the right one.
2. 90 degree elbows on both regs.
3. Cam straps with big bolt snaps for the bottom and 5/16" static line with also big bolt snaps for the top. Loop bungees.
4. Valve openings in and handles down. When bungees are applied things turn outwards a little..
tank clocking.jpgvalve facing.jpg

I do Tec Sidemount full cave & Trimix with a lot of wreck diving. I have sort of modified a bit from all over.

I use a Hollis 100D with Edd's Mods. I use the old rail in the back center of the tail below the Ed mod bent drings- to clip offs of reels.

I have added a backup mask pouch on the left and a cutting tool pouch on the right belt.

I've mounted a backup flashlight pouch on the right side upper strap above the upper d ring and a mini-fog cutter mounted on the left, just above the re-routed BCD dump valve from the Ed mod.

I post the 7foot long hose on the right - clipped to the right upper dring with a dive rite breakaway clip. That way I can pass off the right tank if necessary moving through a restriction with an OOA DIVER, while maintaining the BCD inflator on the left tank.

The left tank is run on a 22 inch hose directly to the bungee necklace without wrapping around my neck. This alleviates entanglements in an OOA pass-off.

I have spgs mounted on 4inch hoses flat against the tank in a protective Spg rubber case.

I turn the valve knobs out which is an Ed's mod convention.

I use hollis 500se so Both regs have no top or bottom and have installed swivels to ensure a good angle.

I always bring my tank straps and clips so can adjust a rental - I usually dive LP85's cave filled.

Dan

My setup is very much still a work in progress. I'll answer with what I currently have along with changes I intend to make in the near future.

1. I've got a 7' hose on my right, first couple of feet stay bungeed to the tank, then around my neck. Left side has a short hose that is just a little too short for my liking(not exactly sure what length, but it's whatever the standard is that shipped with the g250v, so 30 inch maybe?). For the moment it's going down/across and back up my chest and hanging on a necklace. Ideally it'll be going up and around my neck, but I'm still trying to figure out what hose length or 1st stage port to use to make that happen.

2. No swivel/angle adapters yet. At this point, not entirely convinced I'm going to need them.

3. Using the rigging kits that come with the rental SMS100 I've been using (waiting for the SMS75 to come out before buying). So far I've just popped the cord loop attached to the top bolt-snap around the valve but it's a little looser than I think I'd like -- I'm thinking of wrapping them bolt-snap cord around the neck (like how valve caps are usually attached) to get the bolt-snap closer).

4. Valves are facing down.

5. SPGs are on 6" hoses, pointing up.

I do Tec Sidemount full cave & Trimix with a lot of wreck diving. I have sort of modified a bit from all over.

I use a Hollis 100D with Edd's Mods. I use the old rail in the back center of the tail below the Ed mod bent drings- to clip offs of reels.

I have added a backup mask pouch on the left and a cutting tool pouch on the right belt.

I've mounted a backup flashlight pouch on the right side upper strap above the upper d ring and a mini-fog cutter mounted on the left, just above the re-routed BCD dump valve from the Ed mod.

I post the 7foot long hose on the right - clipped to the right upper dring with a dive rite breakaway clip. That way I can pass off the right tank if necessary moving through a restriction with an OOA DIVER, while maintaining the BCD inflator on the left tank.

The left tank is run on a 22 inch hose directly to the bungee necklace without wrapping around my neck. This alleviates entanglements in an OOA pass-off.

I have spgs mounted on 4inch hoses flat against the tank in a protective Spg rubber case.

I turn the valve knobs out which is an Ed's mod convention.

I use hollis 500se so Both regs have no top or bottom and have installed swivels to ensure a good angle.

I always bring my tank straps and clips so can adjust a rental - I usually dive LP85's cave filled.

Dan

How did you put swivels on the 500SE's, did not think any would fit on them? Do you have pics of what you used? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a 40" hose on my left (easy to donate in open water if need be) and a 7' hose on my right.
Both second stages have a 90-degree elbow. The short hose is on a necklace and the long hose on a breakaway small bolt snap attached to the right shoulder D-ring.
The tanks are attached at the top with a paracord loop and a medium double ender when topside and the bottom with a SS hose clamp sheathed in tubular webbing clamping a paracord loop with a large bolt snap.
I have the modular valve handles out and the regs up.
SPGs on 6" hoses laying down flat against the tanks.

There's a million different ways to do it, I'm sure you'll hear them all!

How did you put swivels on the 500SE's, did not think any would fit on them? Do you have pics of what you used? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omni-swivels- I can post pics in the AM.

1. Second stage regulator hose lengths – do you dive a long hose on one side, and a short hose (e.g. on a bungee necklace) on the other? If so, on which side do you place your long hose, and what ‘long’ hose length do you use? Or, do you dive 2 long hoses? .
28" hose on the left, behind my head to a 90 elbow, non-swivel.
7' hose on the right stuffed down the tank under elastic then comes across my chest, behind my head to enter from the right shoulder, no elbow

2. Second stage hose adapters - do you use an adapter on your second stage hoses, such as a 70 degree angle adapter, a 90 degree angle adapter, or a 360 degree swivel adapter? If so, do you use them on both, or only one hose?.
see above

3. Cylinder attachment methods – do you use a standard deco / stage bottle rigging kit, or something else? If something else, what do you use for the top at bottom attachment points? Do you use a fixed bottom attachment (e.g. a metal hose clamp), or do you use a cam band?.
a 4" loop of cord with a bolt snap goes over the valve before putting on the reg. This holds the cylinder up if the bungie breaks or comes loose. Also helps hold the cylinder in roughly the correct position to put the neck bungies on.
Bottom
a cam band with a triglide installed. a loop of cord with a stopper knot in it is under the triglide and hence to the boltsnap

4. Cylinder valve position – do you position the aperture (opening) of your valves so that they face into your body? Away from your body? At a 90 degree angle to your body (e.g. facing in, toward the opposing cylinder valve opening)?
knob faces out, laterally away from me
valve opening faces down towards the cave floor, not having the reg jammed in my armpit allows me to see it better and also allows the whole cylinder to ride higher on me (higher when in prone position)

1. I use a rubber longhose on the left and a miflex short on the right. Longhose goes down the cylinder and back up, then behind the neck and shoulder like conventional doubles longhose. Clipped to right D-ring when not in use. Short goes to my right armpit and from there straight to my mouth, necklaced with bungee

Reason: greatly simplifies the hose routing, not hoses cross the chest to reduce amount of "stuff" over your chest, especially comfortable when cold water diving when you already have inflator, dry suit inflator and bungees occupying the chest space. Makes identifying the hoses easier in zero viz, only one hose going behind the neck and over the shoulder, there's never any doubt which hose is the one to donate. The system is 100% compatible in mixed teams as the longhose is exactly where the bm doubles diver expects it to be. When it is deployed it only comes from your left armpit instead of right which is just 20cm away and makes no difference whatsoever. The benefits mentioned above farly outweight the cons (that I am aware of none) so this is what I use and mainly recommend while i teach. I however also teach the longhose on the left and the students can decide for themselves.

2. I do use a fixed 90 degree angle adapter on the short hose on right post, no adapter on left post longhose.

Reason: This makes it possible for the hose to come straight from the armpit to my cheek and the hose is almost invisible. It also increases the "feel-difference" between regulators for zero viz emergencies.

So we now have no extra hoses going across the chest at all and the hoses are very easily recognizable from each other even for mixed team members with no sm-experience in zeroviz emergencies and while still remaining 100% compatible. Longhose rubber without angle behind the neck and om shoulder - shorthose miflex with angle going to different direction, straight down to my armpit right close to my body.

3. I use a camband with a large boltsnap for lower attachment. Top attachment underwater with a loop bungee and a single boltsnap on thick bungee around tank neck to attach on D-ring for walking on land.

4. Valves are straight towards my body, handles out. Valves are not facing straight up but maybe 45 degree angle towards each other to get the loop bungee attachment just right.

- Mikko Laakkonen -

I love diving and teaching others to dive.

1. Short hose on the left post, long hose on the right. Long hose 84" (7ft)
2. I use a 90 degree adapter for my short hose. None on the long hose.
3. I use a single cam band with hanging bolt snap. Nothing on the top of the cylinder, it is secured by the bungee.
4. I took the manifold off my doubles and converted them into my sidemount tanks. The right hand/left hand valves are nice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom