Sidemount Course in Bohol/ Cebu??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leezacch

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading to Philippines at the end of this coming december..

(Concerns about typhoon/ crisis aside), where can I get a reliable/ reputable instructor over there to teach sidemount courses?

I'm a PADI instructor right now, and I'm really keen to know more and explore sidemount as part of my development and personal experience as a start first.

Cheers,
Zacch

If you're gonna be in Cebu, might as well go to Malapascua. I'm not sidemount certified but if I wanted to be, I would look up Matt Reed in Evolution. Top instructor. I learned a couple of things from him even though I was never a student of his in a course!

Slightly late and repetitive post, but for Cebu, or the Philippines as a whole I would rank Poby Han as the #1 sidemount instructor.

Poby is an official Razor Instructor but will cover all aspects of sidemount which can be translated to most harnesses/systems. His enthusiasm and knowledge base for sidemount really is second to none in my mind, we did our cave courses at the same time and I've always made a point of catching up with Poby whenever I'm down in Cebu ever since - I really look forward to hearing Poby's view on different things in sidemount.

I always learn a whole bunch of new things every time I speak to Poby plus you could not wish to meet a nicer or more genuine guy, and I haven't even mentioned the amount of awesome noodles you'll be eating with Poby between dive sessions yet :)

His website is Poby diver's Center but it's mainly in Korean, just drop him an email or give him a call, you'll find both these details on the first page of his website. His dive centre is right on the sea not far from Plantation Bay resort, there's a small hotel nearby which is a good option for cheaper accommodation also.

Slightly late and repetitive post, but for Cebu, or the Philippines as a whole I would rank Poby Han as the #1 sidemount instructor.

Poby is an official Razor Instructor but will cover all aspects of sidemount which can be translated to most harnesses/systems. His enthusiasm and knowledge base for sidemount really is second to none in my mind, we did our cave courses at the same time and I've always made a point of catching up with Poby whenever I'm down in Cebu ever since - I really look forward to hearing Poby's view on different things in sidemount.

I always learn a whole bunch of new things every time I speak to Poby plus you could not wish to meet a nicer or more genuine guy, and I haven't even mentioned the amount of awesome noodles you'll be eating with Poby between dive sessions yet :)

His website is Poby diver's Center but it's mainly in Korean, just drop him an email or give him a call, you'll find both these details on the first page of his website. His dive centre is right on the sea not far from Plantation Bay resort, there's a small hotel nearby which is a good option for cheaper accommodation also.

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips/ suggestions. Really helped in searching around and getting the right coaches as a start.

I did touch base with Poby. And seems like a real guru in sidemount courses. I'm keen in developing sidemount under his tutelage. But somehow certain aspects of the 'pre-requisites' - that they do not carry any sidemount system/ harness, but strongly recommend students to purchase Razor systems".

Now, i'm not against certain brand(s) or whatsoever, but wouldn't it be better to provide generic, or adopting a LDS model to let us use stock systems first? At least get us more acquired with the sidemount systems and what to look for and things as such. Different systems cater to different divers' needs, and I'm hesitant in committing to his course in that particular manner..

One of the critical attributes of a good sidemount course is the personalized set-up and configuration of the user's rig. It's critical because it has such a direct impact on the rig's, and hence the diver's, in-water performance. Set-up/configuration is considerably more 'involved' than with BP&W... and light-years more complex that strapping yourself into a jacket BCD.

With this in mind, a decent sidemount instructor will always recommend that the student buys/brings their own rig to the training. The course will start with a comprehensive 'workshop' to get that rig set-up correctly for the individual diver. That way, they leave the course not only with the skills and techniques necessary, but also a refined and perfected system in which to dive afterwards.

Different sidemount systems have individual nuances. It's quite ethical for a sidemount instructor to declare which rigs they have experience with - as those are the systems they can most efficiently configure for the diver. There are plenty of less-ethical, or less qualified, instructors out there, who won't inform potential students of their rig-specific expertise; some don't even provide in-depth configuration workshops - so they don't care what rig a student turns up with for training..

Poby is qualified to teach the Razor2 directly through the system's inventor, Steve Bogearts. It's hard to get much more rig knowledgeable than that.

The Razor 2 harness (the most critical component for set-up) is quite similar to the Stealth 2.0 and UTD systems. They are all of a 'minimalist' approach (sometimes referred to as the 'English' style) and many will agree they are optimal for warm-water (aluminum cylinders) diving. They are based around a bare webbing harness, with shoulder and lumbar plates. Lower cylinder attachment is typically to the belt (no butt plate). An instructor who can dive/configure one system with expertise should be able to translate most of that understanding across different rigs that operate to the same/similar principles.

In contrast, harnesses like the Nomad, Armadillo, Hog, Halcyon etc have different nuances in set-up, configuration and customization. These also operate to generally similar principles and are primarily useful for cold-water (steel cylinders) diving (they are sometimes referred to as the 'American' style). They generally have a soft-backplate, donut-style wing and make use of a butt-plate. Again, an instructor who has amassed experience on one of these rigs can generally transpose a level of that expertise to similar designed rigs.

Articles on the British/English/UK and American/Florida 'styles' of sidemount:

Side-mount Rigs ? A UK Perspective | TecRec Blog
sump4.com/sidemount
History of Sidemount Diving - SidemountDivingRivieraMaya

Lastly, there are more 'generic' rigs, released primarily with the recreational sidemount market in mind and not quite sure what type of diving they are designed for. The Hollis SMS50 is a popular example. It isn't particularly specialized in either way - and is easier to set-up without extensive experience. It appeals to newly minted sidemount instructors for that reason. That said, an experienced instructor can still help you optimize/customize the rig well beyond the basic parameters.

In short, there is some real benefit in getting your own sidemount kit before taking a course. Make sure that the instructor has expertise and experience with your selected rig - and can offer a comprehensive workshop to help get you optimally configured.

The Razor2 is a very good rig - especially for lightweight travelling in tropical waters. Poby can certainly ensure that you will get the very best out of it.

I did touch base with Poby. And seems like a real guru in sidemount courses. I'm keen in developing sidemount under his tutelage. But somehow certain aspects of the 'pre-requisites' - that they do not carry any sidemount system/ harness, but strongly recommend students to purchase Razor systems".
Now, i'm not against certain brand(s) or whatsoever, but wouldn't it be better to provide generic, or adopting a LDS model to let us use stock systems first? At least get us more acquired with the sidemount systems and what to look for and things as such. Different systems cater to different divers' needs, and I'm hesitant in committing to his course in that particular manner..
I am NOT a side-mount diver.
This remind me of the similar problem with CCR. The student have to decide which unit is the most suitable!!!
There is no such thing as the "BEST".
I certainly won't spend any money on equipment before the completion of the course.
Tough decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom