How often do you change your dive computer battery?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We currently have 4 Suunto computers--Vyper, Gekko, Zoop. Batteries are changed when indicator drops from 4 bars to 3--usually 400+ dives. I carry a spare computer on every dive, and when I travel, carry a new battery and o-ring which fits all of the computers.

My Aeris Atmos AI is 3 years old and has done about 80 dives, plus some pool work.

In March, it displayed low battery once, but has displayed full battery ever since.

Should I change the battery?

Thanks!

GP4000 I replace it every 70 dives... I found the compass feature chews through batteries quicker if I use it allot too.

Computers and other electronic don't have a good way to measure how much amperage is left in batteries. What they can do, is measure battery voltage. There is a pretty good correlation graph between voltage and amps left in the battery.

For example, a fresh AA battery is approximately 1.6v. It then drops in volatage as it's depleted. By the time it's 1.2v, it's got nothing left. Most devices call a AA dead at 1.3v or so.

Understaning that devices that report battery levels are simply looking at voltage, you can understand how a false "replace battery" indicator could appear if you're in very cold water or something similar that would affect voltage.

I agree that a fresh battery should not show a change battery indicator, so when I got mine on my D9 and then it went away, I realized I must be nearing whatever low voltage mark tells the computer the battery is kaput. I'm not quite there yet, but when the light comes back and stays on, I'll change it.

If I was on my way to a dive far away from home, I'd do it now. But since I have access to tools and batteries at home, I'll run mine lower before I do the service.

With temp its also good to not that a proper cold dive might not just trigger the low batt alarm, it may actually stop the computer working due to that voltage drop. (yes, been there, deliberately - i DID have a backup tho)

I get my battery changed once a year...usually put around 50 dives on it. The shop throws it in with my annual service for my regs. I dive cold water regularly (35-40 deg F) water for 5 or so months out of the year and have seen the cold suck the life right out of the batteries.

Mines self-serviceable, so I just make sure I have a spare fresh battery in my gear bag and get going..

I also always wear my dive watch as a backup depth gauge and timer, but thats solar powered and never get a battery change.

Hey I've been looking for a dive watch like that - PM me the model please?

------break---

OP, If you get the battery symbol, even once, change it asap. Youre on the edge and 120fsw is not the place to find out for sure.

Computers and other electronic don't have a good way to measure how much amperage is left in batteries. What they can do, is measure battery voltage. There is a pretty good correlation graph between voltage and amps left in the battery.

To get a true sense of the condition of a battery it should be under load and depending on the cell chemistry the discharge curve for a battery can be a veritable brick wall. A lithium ion battery looks like this :

Google Image Result for http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/246/liiondischcurve.png

That being said I know several higher end computers that actually have a 'battery test' routine built into them where they monitor the battery whilst loading it at different levels. By doing this they get a much better idea the condition of the battery, but this does come at the cost of using some of the battery life to do so.

When it comes to sourcing batteries there is very little quality control when it comes to the no name brands, so you typically get what you pay for. But long story short a dive watch is not much more power intensive then your average digital watch of equivalent size and a quality battery can last a couple years depending on the number of dives put on it.

But hey if your dive shop throws a new battery in as part of your regular service as one person mentioned great :wink:

My old Aeris has given me some weird battery charge readings sometimes just after a battery
change. If it starts to do this repeatedly I change the battery. Otherwise I watch the indicator
and as everyone else has mentioned annually would not be to often if you are diving a bit. Taking
a look inside the battery compartment once a year is not a bad idea either. I had a some saltwater
intrusion that was beginning to damage the contacts so I was glad I decided to change the battery
when I did.

We have a Gekko and the newer model Zoop. The Gekko has 130 plus dives since 2009 and the battery indicator is still high. We have an extra battery but wonder when it will be needed. The dive watch is a Citizen and solar powered so no battery issue there.

My Aeris Atmos AI is 3 years old and has done about 80 dives, plus some pool work.

In March, it displayed low battery once, but has displayed full battery ever since.

Should I change the battery?

Thanks!
If the battery is cheap and user replaceable then there is little downside to replacing it (and also buying a spare for the next replacement). So do it.

Different computers will have different battery life. And consider that raw dive count does not always correlate to battery life. Your computer is always on, even if you are not diving. Battery drain is much lower while on the shelf, but it still goes on. Performing downloads to a PC also consumes extra juice. And those 80 dives, were they 30 minute dives or 90 minute dives? Everyones mileage varies.

I would say at 3 years you have got your money's worth from the original batteries. So go ahead and splurge. Treat your self to a little shopping spree.

Back
Top Bottom