Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you that are willing to schlep your gear back to your room in a mesh bag, are you aware that there are many places in the world that cost less to dive than Cozumel and you don't have to schlep?
Yeah, but that would mean you'd have to dive in Roatan. Yuck.

I see that Amigos del Mar in Belize, for example, charges $75 for a 2-tank trip. That's $75 for 160 cf of air. My preferred Cozumel dive op charges $85 for 240 cf of air. $10 more for 50% more air. All my gear is valeted, including wetsuit. And I get picked up right at my hotel dock.

Besides the price working out cheaper in Cozumel even with the full-service dive ops, there's also not much comparison in dive quality. I know my visits to Roatan and Ambergris Caye weren't timed well for optimal conditions, but I doubt they can reach the water clarity of Cozumel even on their best days. Cozumel is like diving the Belize atolls, yet far more interesting IMO. The only place in my limited Caribbean experience that I prefer over Cozumel is Bonaire, but that's because of the do-it-yourself shore diving there, not the quality of the dives. Admittedly I haven't dove Cayman Brac/Little Cayman, Saba, Dominica, three locales that are rumored to have excellent diving, as well as a million other places which may or may not have good diving, but that's because they're all a PITA to get to. Cozumel is easy on United - some days even have two flights in/out - and no mini planes with all their luggage hassles to deal with.

And if you've ever dove in Hawaii or Palau, you'd think the highest Cozumel prices to be a bargain!

---------- Post added April 25th, 2013 at 07:18 AM ----------

With vacation being such a chore, why not hire someone to schlep the camera and the wet suit for you? You could probably even call for a cart to transport you between your room to the dock.
I like to walk off breakfast. I already pay my preferred dive up to handle my wetsuit, so that's a non-issue for me.

A camera sherpa would be an excellent idea, but they'd have to post a bond first in case they dropped it. Wakatobi was the only resort I've stayed at that provided that level of service and I'm pretty sure the camera carriers had been told that they were carrying gear worth more than their annual salaries.

I guess it all depends on how much work one wants to do when they're on vacation. I pretty much stopped doing local diving because gear cleaning was such a chore, so why would I want to do that on vacation? But others don't mind cooking for themselves or cleaning for themselves and they stay in a rental apartment, shop for food, make their own drinks, and rent a car so they can drive themselves around. Good for them. But that's not me. Too old for all that crap. When I'm on vacation, people cook for me, people clean for me, and people store my wetsuit. I carry the camera because I'm the only one allowed to drop it, but I'm hardly as paranoid about my wetsuit being mishandled.

Maybe if I ate lots of asparagus and artichoke and didn't hydrate well and didn't rinse and dry my suit afterward it woud stink....

so you're one of the "lucky" small % that can smell it, that is estimated at 22-40% of the population

so you're one of the "lucky" small % that can smell it, that is estimated at 22-40% of the population
Do you mean only 22-40% of the pop have the ability to recognize the smell of pee ??? Not sure that's what you mean, though, cause I
I take the metro almost everyday, recognize the stench of p*ss, and that ability to smell pee doesn't make me feel so lucky...

------
Never mind, found the info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asparagus#Effects_on_urine
Interesting, although I know I'm very sensitive to odors compared to others, I never suspected most people "lacked" that specific ability. I don't know if I should brag or envy them.

Do you mean only 22-40% of the pop have the ability to recognize the smell of pee ??? Not sure that's what you mean, though, cause I
I take the metro almost everyday, recognize the stench of p*ss, and that ability to smell pee doesn't make me feel so lucky...

------
Never mind, found the info here : Asparagus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting, although I know I'm very sensitive to odors compared to others, I never suspected most people "lacked" that specific ability. I don't know if I should brag or envy them.
The Israeli study found that only 10% of the subjects couldn't smell asparagus urine. I've never met a non-smeller AFAIK, though it's not exactly a question I ask of all my acquaintances.

In any case, I don't eat asparagus for breakfast very often. If asparagus is one of the omelet fillings at the Secrets buffet, I'll opt for spinach instead out of respect for my wetsuit handlers :)

Should you dive with us, when taking that final whiz before hitting the ladder, proper form is to put your reg on top of your head to signal pee in the water. (I think that is in the AOW Padi course....) I also tend to get a wispy far off look.....

It is so funny how people are afraid of pee but seem totally ok with saliva on a rented regulator.

The Israeli study found that only 10% of the subjects couldn't smell asparagus urine. I've never met a non-smeller AFAIK, though it's not exactly a question I ask of all my acquaintances.

In any case, I don't eat asparagus for breakfast very often. If asparagus is one of the omelet fillings at the Secrets buffet, I'll opt for spinach instead out of respect for my wetsuit handlers :)
I think we need a new poll. After the smoking vs non smoking on a dive boat debate, we need to poll about asparagus vs no asparagus on dive resort menus.

Do I need to go back and read the whole thread to join in this lively debate or can I just start from here...

Do I need to go back and read the whole thread to join in this lively debate or can I just start from here...

I made it past the first two pages then my eyes glazed over...its something about a new law in Cozumel that requires all "tourista" divers to pee in each others wetsuits before they get on the boat.

At least I think thats what this thread is about...in my defense, I have been drinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom