Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting thread. I have not dived in Cozumel, but I have used a number of Dive Operators in the Philippines. Every single one of them stored my gear (including wetsuit) and would have washed my gear (including wetsuit) if I would have let them. I spent three days diving with an operator in Key Largo, FL. They provided storage for my gear and wetsuit. I have no expectations that my gear will get cleaned but I would not be happy if I am told to carry my wetsuit back to my hotel room at the end of each day because the operator does not want to store it. I honestly never thought "Do you store my wetsuit" was one of the questions to ask when selecting an operator. This has been very educational.

I agree.
It has never shown up on my radar of things to be concerned with when planning a trip.

We dove in the Keys 2 weeks ago, dive op had tubs to rinse your own gear and hangers and a rack to hang it. The op rolled the racks inside when the closed and wheeled it out in the morning. You had to grab your gear and put it on the boat in the morning. Honestly, rinsing my gear in water that other wetsuits were dipped it was a big turn off. Even tho one tub was designated regulators only, divers were using it for their wetsuits. Not exactly valet service! We were happy to take our stuff back to our hotel and clean it. At least the water was clean. They had a designated wash area, took less than 15 minutes. In Cozumel, I take care of my gear, never a problem and I never feel cheated out of any vacation time.

It's not just about disease - it's about respect and my crew nor myself will ever be asked to handle pee filled wetsuits, period! Argue all you want for it - but I maintain that you don't know as much about how dive shops here or around the world handle wet suits as you seem to think you do!

i don't get it...why do you ASSUME everyone pees in their wetsuit, is it a requirement when you rent it?

besides...getting your customers to rinse them in a detergent filled tub and picking up the suit from the shoulders should be no issue of contamination....i don't think anyone in their right mind will pee while doing a head/hand stand rofl

It's not that big a deal. No one is peeling off my suit but me. I dump it in a tank. Sometimes I take it out myself and hang it up to dry on the provided hangers at the provided area. Sometimes a staff member fishes my suit out of the tank and hangs it for me. They keep it overnight. If it is concierge service, my suit is waiting for me on my boat in the a.m., sometimes even in my preferred seating position. Other places I dive, even without concierge service, has a rinse tank, hanging area and stores it overnight. Next morning, I just pull it out myself. No biggie either way. But why would I have to haul it or wear it back to my room . . .this makes no sense to me until my trip has ended. Been wracking my brain but can't recall one place in the world other than Cozumel, where I've had to for this.
It's even worse if you have to taxi back from the boat. Dragging a dripping wetsuit through a fancy hotel is bad enough, but I really feel bad inflicting a urine-soaked dripping wetsuit on a poor cabdriver's trunk.

I suppose Cozumel is different in that, unlike many other dive locales, they don't have shops near the boat where one can store one's gear in a locker or secured room, with rinse tanks for rinsing gear. Except for the hotels that have onsite shops, divers are usually picked up by boat. Some ops don't valet any dive gear and your hotel room becomes your gear storage. Apparently the majority of valet services in Cozumel don't valet wetsuits, unlike in the rest of the civilized dive world, so your hotel room becomes your wetsuit locker. Hopefully you have a balcony where it can air dry after you soak it in the shower and use up the towels you would have used on yourself to instead dry up the resulting puddles on the floor, or else risk a dangerous slip and fall on the marble that they love to put in Mexican hotel rooms. Or, if you don't have a balcony, the wetsuit stays in the shower so that you can drip water everywhere on the trip back to the dive boat - at least this time, the puddles left behind aren't urine-tinged.

Not that the shops that provide rinse tanks for customer use are such a great alternative as studies have shown they're usually a prime breeding ground for nasty bacteria. I liked the way Ed Robinson's did it. As soon as they pull their boat out of the water (slip fees are way too expensive in Hawaii for the average dive op), they'd fill a plastic trashcan with fresh soapy water and have the suits washed and already hanging up to dry before the last passengers were off the boat.

I don't mind looking after my own gear if there's a reasonably close place to store it. I suppose I could take advantage of the onsite dive op and use their facilities, except that I don't want to dive with them. Fortunately I lucked into one of the few ops that valet wetsuits that coincidentally happens to be owned by the best DM I've ever experienced, an excellent combination. Were it not for that shop, I'd probably avoid Cozumel entirely, in favor of a more dive-friendly island.

There's another way to get around this and that's renting a wetsuit. From the website of Dive Paradise, a non-valet dive op and the largest dive op in Cozumel: "Can I rent everything?
Yes, if you want to keep your trip hassle free. We keep our equipment in top working order and much of it is less than 2 years old. You can also rent a camera if you just want to try one for a day! Come in and see what we have. Arrange for it ahead of time and all you do is just board the boat, and it will be onboard waiting for you. On returning, you don't have to worry about all the equipment rinsing etc. We take care of everything!" So apparently even a non-valet non-wetsuit-handling dive op can become fully valet just by using their gear.

Your analogy works better if the towel was soaked in sea water after soaking up the teaspoon of urine. I'd be surprised if too many bacteria used to the vaginal environment could handle soaking in 80 degree saline water and I wouldn't expect a female DM to handle the peed-in wetsuits by holding them between her legs while naked. But what will it hurt her to hold them in her hands, providing that she washes her hands after?

Is it your point that the personnel working in the thousands and thousands of dive ops around the world that rent out wetsuits should don hazmat suits before checking the wetsuits back in?

thanks...i laughed so hard i just peed a little in my wetsuit, yes i like to sit at my desk in my wetsuit

It's even worse if you have to taxi back from the boat. Dragging a dripping wetsuit through a fancy hotel is bad enough, but I really feel bad inflicting a urine-soaked dripping wetsuit on a poor cabdriver's trunk.
Seriously? The only way your wetsuit will be "urine soaked" is if you pee in it after you get into the boat. :D

Seriously? The only way your wetsuit will be "urine soaked" is if you pee in it after you get into the boat. :D
Jeremy's boat doesn't have a head...

Naw, just kidding. If I have to pee on the boat, I use the camera rinse tank when no one's looking.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 05:31 PM ----------

i don't get it...why do you ASSUME everyone pees in their wetsuit, is it a requirement when you rent it?

besides...getting your customers to rinse them in a detergent filled tub and picking up the suit from the shoulders should be no issue of contamination....i don't think anyone in their right mind will pee while doing a head/hand stand rofl
You obviously missed annlaur's post (#25) - that's exactly how she pees underwater. She must have ruined it for the rest of us!

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 05:59 PM ----------

Ocean Frontiers, one of the most respected dive ops on Grand Cayman: "1- Hands Free: After Checking in and after each dive trip, your gear is whisked away, cleaned, rested and prepared for its next adventure. Your Wetsuit is soaked and receives a 'Sink-The-Stink' treatment, and then each item is hung in your own gear stable and left to fully dry naturally. This is how we do it at Ocean Frontiers."

Seriously. It's a frackin' wetsuit. It's a little heavy when soaked with water and a bit of pee, but in a mesh bag it drips out mostly in the couple blocks to the hotel. Dump it in the shower and rinse it a couple minutes. Big deal. It ain't carrying tanks and weights down cliffs and stuff like I do back home, or even like in Bonaire. I don't get all prissy about it. Sheez...
Don't even bother with a wetsuit when I'm there in the summer, so no worries.

Back
Top Bottom