Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little surprised by how many people are adamant about being rid of their gear and/or wetsuits after the day's diving, though I totally get it if someone is staying where there's a lot of walking to the pier. The only time I've left behind a piece of gear (a wetsuit, incidentally) was when we used a "valet" op that had apparently taken the suit out of my bag to ready it for my use, but since I was diving in my skin instead, I didn't notice I didn't have it until I was packing up my gear to go home, which was Christmas morning, and the dive shop was very much closed. Totally not the dive operator's fault, but I know my best assurance of keeping track of all my stuff is for me to keep it under my control the whole time. Also, when an operator keeps one's gear, it introduces a whole new level of planning if one is given to the occasional spontaneous shore dive. So, while it's nice that some operators offer the service, it's not one I personally value highly--which is not to say that some gear-keeping operators don't offer other service differences that we appreciate. Also, I'm not sure it would feel like a real dive vacation if something wasn't festering on the balcony.

Beyond that, TMI guys, TMI...

I appreciate the expert care that my Dive Op's crew takes to provide me with a fresh rinsed BCD ready and waiting for me when I arrive to the boat every morning. However, I would never expect them to have to service stinky or Tee tee wetsuits. I prefer to soak, wash (with BIO Eco Friendly) detergent, rinse and hang out in Full sun my own wetsuit at the end of every dive day . I have seen and know very well what my Dive op's shop crew member does and adding the responsibility of stinky wetsuits would be an insult.

Santos, at Blue XT Sea, not only takes care of gear, but also does the shopping, prepares snacks, runs errands, delivers and pick up dive equipment. He is always busy from the start to the end of every day. He is professional and takes excellent care of all gear. With that said, I do hope that when adding up gratuities that the crew members who are behind the scenes are considered. We see first hand what our Captains and Divemasters do, but, it would not be the same without the help of the shop crew.

Last edited:
My guys get tipped for their service of ensuring a relaxing and stress free dive trip. You bet they do. I very much see how hard they work and the length of some of their days. A number of years ago, when i returned home, accidentally left my booties behind. On my next trip down when I walked into the shop, my booties were sitting on the counter waiting for me.

Interesting range of responses. Everything from my position (let the dive op handle all of it since that's what I'm paying/tipping them for) to keeping all one's gear. When I first certified, I was one of those who wanted to set up everything myself, keep everything immaculate in between dives, etc. Just like Oldbear. But when I started diving liveaboards and the overnight boats we have here in SoCal, I realized that the gear is fine sitting out all day and all night for up to 11 days at a time (the longest I've been on a boat). No matter how much that wetsuit smells in the morning, I promise that you can't smell it once you're underwater.

Thanks for the references to babies and all the nasty stuff they do. I was going to bring that up, but didn't want to be insensitive. I believe my preferred Cozumel DM/shop-owner has three kids so I'm sure he's handled his share of soiled diapers, unless the Mexican way is to let the wife deal with all of it (in which case I will be sure to move to Mexico before siring my own progeny). OTOH, AFAIK, the shop owner that called handling used wetsuits "disgusting" does not have diaper changing duties of her own. Personally, I've never changed a diaper and hope to maintain that status until I'm buried, but I know I would much rather handle a peed-in wetsuit than, ack, I can barely even imagine it let alone type it, a "soiled" baby diaper. There, I said it. Ick.

As to those who maintain that carrying one's stinky dripping wetsuit back and forth is not a big ordeal, fine. To me it is a big ordeal. At a dive resort where everyone is carrying their suits back and forth, no problem. But I still remember the trail of water I dripped on the marble floors at the Cozumel Palace when I had to bring my suit back everyday, the look from the nice girl with the mop that said "are you serious, do I have to mop this damn floor again just because of you", and the thought that I was endangering all my fellow non-diving guests by dripping puddles of water on the marble floors. Even the elevator had marble floors. I could have taken the marble stairs, but that would have created even more of a safety hazard.

Maybe it's the instructor in me, but I like to let other people set up and deal with my own gear. Why? Because I'm on a vacation and I'm feeling lazy. It's just dive gear. When I show up the next day and my reg is on upside-down, I simply fix it. Jeremy hates when I do this while he's giving a dive briefing but it's not my fault they put it upside-down. Yeah, it's "life support", yada yada. But after seeing how dive gear is treated on liveaboards, I've realized that it's pretty sturdy stuff. (If you ever want to put your dive gear to a stress test, dive the Galapagos on a liveaboard - that was the only dive I ever saw dive gear damaged, when a fellow passenger's BC hose was sheared off after being pulled into the dingy.)

As for flushing one's suit, I usually do try to exchange some water volume if I pee near the end of the dive. I usually just tug my suit at the neck to let in lots of water. Also, when I'm back on the boat, I always pour the contents of my boots over the side since that's where the urine is most likely to concentrate after flushing. If given a choice between handling peed-in wetsuits versus soiled baby diapers, I would always choose the wetsuits. I imagine that's why my preferred DM/shop-owner is out on the boat most days instead of sitting at home cleaning up the babies :)

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 09:03 AM ----------

My guys get tipped for their service of ensuring a relaxing and stress free dive trip. You bet they do. I very much see how hard they work and the length of some of their days. A number of years ago, when i returned home, accidentally left my booties behind. On my next trip down when I walked into the shop, my booties were sitting on the counter waiting for me.
I sure hope they washed them if they were sitting out all that time. Did you give them a sniff test?

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

I have no problem with rinsing out my wetsuit myself, but there's no way I want to be hauling it back to my hotel with me. I've never experienced having to do that anywhere in the world I've been diving to date, and it will henceforth be my practice to ensure that my chosen dive op stores my wetsuit overnight along with my bcd/regs/fins. Geez, how do you keep your clients find straight?
Huh? Say that's not true. After all, a dive shop owner from Cozumel told me that I know nothing about how wetsuits are handled around the world and that most dive ops around the world will not handle wetsuits.

IIRC, you have some goofy fins. No wonder they keep those straight. But it's a good question. After all, if the fins are placed near the hanging BC and regs, why not just put the wetsuit next to them?

I'm slowly getting the idea that many Cozumel dive ops don't like to handle wetsuits and that they rely on each other's lame excuses to shirk the otherwise standard duty. Sorry, but living in paradise and getting to dive all day every day has its downsides and handling wetsuits is one of them. Like you, I'll limit my diving to those shops that store wetsuits as well as dive gear. If more divers felt the same way, these uppity Cozumel shops who think they're too special to handle wetsuits would get a rude awakening.

Interesting range of responses. Everything from my position (let the dive op handle all of it since that's what I'm paying/tipping them for) to keeping all one's gear. When I first certified, I was one of those who wanted to set up everything myself, keep everything immaculate in between dives, etc. Just like Oldbear. But when I started diving liveaboards and the overnight boats we have here in SoCal, I realized that the gear is fine sitting out all day and all night for up to 11 days at a time (the longest I've been on a boat). No matter how much that wetsuit smells in the morning, I promise that you can't smell it once you're underwater.

Thanks for the references to babies and all the nasty stuff they do. I was going to bring that up, but didn't want to be insensitive. I believe my preferred Cozumel DM/shop-owner has three kids so I'm sure he's handled his share of soiled diapers, unless the Mexican way is to let the wife deal with all of it (in which case I will be sure to move to Mexico before siring my own progeny). OTOH, AFAIK, the shop owner that called handling used wetsuits "disgusting" does not have diaper changing duties of her own. Personally, I've never changed a diaper and hope to maintain that status until I'm buried, but I know I would much rather handle a peed-in wetsuit than, ack, I can barely even imagine it let alone type it, a "soiled" baby diaper. There, I said it. Ick.

As to those who maintain that carrying one's stinky dripping wetsuit back and forth is not a big ordeal, fine. To me it is a big ordeal. At a dive resort where everyone is carrying their suits back and forth, no problem. But I still remember the trail of water I dripped on the marble floors at the Cozumel Palace when I had to bring my suit back everyday, the look from the nice girl with the mop that said "are you serious, do I have to mop this damn floor again just because of you", and the thought that I was endangering all my fellow non-diving guests by dripping puddles of water on the marble floors. Even the elevator had marble floors. I could have taken the marble stairs, but that would have created even more of a safety hazard.

Maybe it's the instructor in me, but I like to let other people set up and deal with my own gear. Why? Because I'm on a vacation and I'm feeling lazy. It's just dive gear. When I show up the next day and my reg is on upside-down, I simply fix it. Jeremy hates when I do this while he's giving a dive briefing but it's not my fault they put it upside-down. Yeah, it's "life support", yada yada. But after seeing how dive gear is treated on liveaboards, I've realized that it's pretty sturdy stuff. (If you ever want to put your dive gear to a stress test, dive the Galapagos on a liveaboard - that was the only dive I ever saw dive gear damaged, when a fellow passenger's BC hose was sheared off after being pulled into the dingy.)

As for flushing one's suit, I usually do try to exchange some water volume if I pee near the end of the dive. I usually just tug my suit at the neck to let in lots of water. Also, when I'm back on the boat, I always pour the contents of my boots over the side since that's where the urine is most likely to concentrate after flushing. If given a choice between handling peed-in wetsuits versus soiled baby diapers, I would always choose the wetsuits. I imagine that's why my preferred DM/shop-owner is out on the boat most days instead of sitting at home cleaning up the babies :)

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 09:03 AM ----------

I sure hope they washed them if they were sitting out all that time. Did you give them a sniff test?

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

Huh? Say that's not true. After all, a dive shop owner from Cozumel told me that I know nothing about how wetsuits are handled around the world and that most dive ops around the world will not handle wetsuits.

IIRC, you have some goofy fins. No wonder they keep those straight. But it's a good question. After all, if the fins are placed near the hanging BC and regs, why not just put the wetsuit next to them?

I'm slowly getting the idea that many Cozumel dive ops don't like to handle wetsuits and that they rely on each other's lame excuses to shirk the otherwise standard duty. Sorry, but living in paradise and getting to dive all day every day has its downsides and handling wetsuits is one of them. Like you, I'll limit my diving to those shops that store wetsuits as well as dive gear. If more divers felt the same way, these uppity Cozumel shops who think they're too special to handle wetsuits would get a rude awakening.

1. - FYI - Jeremy is from Minnesota - he may have inherited a little Mexican accent, but he was born and bred in Minnesota!
2. Where does it say that you are paying a dive op to handle your wetsuit??? What about all of the shops that don't handle any gear at all?
3. You are welcome to choose whichever dive op you like based on what they provide, etc. - but to "badmouth" and claim that handling wetsuits is a STANDARD duty is wrong and just shows your disrespect for other people.
4. AS I said in a much earlier post, the hygiene reason is just part of the reason - but my primary reason is again, a matter of RESPECT. If you want to piss in your wetsuit, fine - it's yours - but it doesn't mean that anyone is obligated or should be expected to handle it for you.
5. Yes, we live in paradise and get to dive all day everyday - HAHAHAHAHA - you're one of those people that has a very false sense of reality where that is concerned.
6. AS far as dripping your wet suit through the lobby - they see that everyday I am sure - I maintain that MOST shops here do not handle wetsuits!

Good thing we don't swim in an ocean full of fish poop and pee! :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Good thing we don't swim in an ocean full of fish poop and pee! :eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow::eyebrow:

Agreed, However it is their ocean to pee and poop in.  Besides, I tell myself the salt water is what makes my skin feel so good, but perhaps the cause is actually something else......��

I wear my wetsuit down around my waist until I get back to the room after standing under the shower for a minute or so. I hang it out on the rack until the next morning when it and I are ready to go again. It's not any trouble. DSFDF and YMMV.

We could all do the Warhammer maneuver and eliminate the problem of soiled wet suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom