Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drinking is what this thread is all about. Some divers are well hydrated with water, and their urine is clear to very light yellow and has little to no smell. Other divers start drinking as soon as they return to their all inclusive resort. Some even stop at one of the few outdoor bars by the pool to have a few. Then they continue to drink Mexican beer and shots of tequila long into the night. They start their morning with three cups of black coffee and a handful of whatever meds they are on. Then they head to the dock to meet the dive boat that has been waiting for five minutes for them. I think it's the second type we are discussing here.
As for me, I pee as soon as I hit the water, it's how I equalize while descending.

Drinking is what this thread is all about. Some divers are well hydrated with water, and their urine is clear to very light yellow and has little to no smell. Other divers start drinking as soon as they return to their all inclusive resort. Some even stop at one of the few outdoor bars by the pool to have a few. Then they continue to drink Mexican beer and shots of tequila long into the night. They start their morning with three cups of black coffee and a handful of whatever meds they are on. Then they head to the dock to meet the dive boat that has been waiting for five minutes for them. I think it's the second type we are discussing here.
As for me, I pee as soon as I hit the water, it's how I equalize while descending.

I beg your pardon. I have never kept a dive boat waiting.

I beg your pardon. I have never kept a dive boat waiting.
I only did once in my entire dive career and in my defense, it was the one time the boat was early! That was the night of the local feria, Tres Techas and all, made it in around 3 a.m. and forgot to set the alarm before crashing. Got up at 7:45 and made the long run to the boat, camera in hand, only to see the boat waiting for me at 8:05 when I normally would get to the dock at 7:45 and not see the boat until 8:15. I apologized profusely and I'm pretty sure no one begrudged my tardiness too much since I made up for it with my usually bubbly personality. Thankfully the first dive that day was only to 171 feet!

In California it's much easier. If we want to party and make sure we're on the boat early the next morning, we sleep on the night before. Hmmm. Come to think of it, if Jeremy would let me crash on the Jewfish overnight, not only would I never be late for the boat, but I could save a bundle on my hotel room. I just hope I don't have to sleep with the peed-in wetsuits.

What a thread!!!! Really people, sometimes things are going to happen. PEE in it or lie about it, if you do it get water to flow and at the surface rinse it.
And do what I did, bought a shorty that zips up the front. I unzip and am able to move it out of the way. Also easy to remove while hanging waiting to get on the boat. Please be downstream when you let it go.
If you rinse it well, then you are respecting the crew when they hang it to dry at SI.

What a thread!!!! Really people, sometimes things are going to happen. PEE in it or lie about it, if you do it get water to flow and at the surface rinse it.
And do what I did, bought a shorty that zips up the front. I unzip and am able to move it out of the way. Also easy to remove while hanging waiting to get on the boat. Please be downstream when you let it go.
If you rinse it well, then you are respecting the crew when they hang it to dry at SI.
Sure, that's all great. I hope most of us wetsuit pee-ers do the same. The question is whether the crew will hang up wetsuits to dry and whether they'll store the wetsuits until the next day. I personally believe they should, since it's part of the dive gear they'd otherwise store, while others believe it either disgusting or too easy to mix up suits, take your pick. If the dive crew will touch your wetsuit during the SI to hang it up, I don't see why they can't touch it enough to store it for the night and save the diver having to lug it back and forth to the boat. That's the question this thread was meant to flesh out, not whether people pee or not or whether they eat asparagus the night before. I can't believe how some people hijack well-meaning threads :)

Mossman, it's a business decision pure and simple. Obviously, it is a service that can be done and is done by other dive operators. But if a business elects not to offer this service, for whatever reasonable or unreasonable reason, so be it. It's their business. They may lose some customers but it is their choice. If it is a service that is important to a diver, then they will choose another dive op. Simple, next question.

Nine pages and Mossman has a dive that he likes who takes care of his wetsuit. I am going to start a useful thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom