Dive ops handling wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You obviously missed annlaur's post (#25) - that's exactly how she pees underwater. She must have ruined it for the rest of us!

i obviously stand corrected lol....i guess that explains why a diver in our group was upside down a lot of time, until now i thought she's checking out the crevices in the walls...

but come to think of it if a peed in wetsuit is so gross how on earth do people dive with just shorties or shorts where all them fish are pooping, its basically just a huge toilet

Seriously. It's a frackin' wetsuit. It's a little heavy when soaked with water and a bit of pee, but in a mesh bag it drips out mostly in the couple blocks to the hotel. Dump it in the shower and rinse it a couple minutes. Big deal. It ain't carrying tanks and weights down cliffs and stuff like I do back home, or even like in Bonaire. I don't get all prissy about it. Sheez...
Don't even bother with a wetsuit when I'm there in the summer, so no worries.
What couple blocks to the hotel? I get picked up right at my hotel, so all the dripping occurs inside the hotel on the way to my room. I'm a neat person and don't like to make a mess for someone else to clean up so it bothers me when I can't help but leave a liquid trail. Also, I'm already carrying 40 lbs of camera gear. The wet wetsuit might not be heavy on its own, but it all adds up.

But if that's fine for you, great, take your wetsuit back to your room every day. Sleep in it for all I care. I'm just grateful that at least some dive ops do handle wetsuits on Cozumel so I can enjoy my vacation that much more.

BTW, where I stay in Bonaire, there's a handy gear storage room and rinse tanks so I don't need to drag gear up to my room. Also, I don't pay for boat diving there, so I wouldn't expect anyone but me to handle my gear since there's no DM or captain or crew involved at all.

I expect it to be ridiculous there.
Sevenrider860 call the thread interesting. Dave Dillehay called it very interesting. Sorry you're disappointed, but it is quite telling that you've made 2 posts to a thread you find ridiculous.

As ever mossman, you are a treat.

And as for me, it is not necessary that I'm treated like a princess but since I am a princess, being treated like one is preferable. I mean, after all, whether one pees in one's wetsuit or not, why is it too much to expect a hanging rack?

For those of you that are willing to schlep your gear back to your room in a mesh bag, are you aware that there are many places in the world that cost less to dive than Cozumel and you don't have to schlep?

For those of you that are willing to schlep your gear back to your room in a mesh bag, are you aware that there are many places in the world that cost less to dive than Cozumel and you don't have to schlep?

for the life of me i don't understand why would anyone want to keep the equipment in their room anyway

except for Roatan where we had a huge covered terrace and were right by the beach, we always washed off our stuff and left it at the diveshop

You obviously missed annlaur's post (#25) - that's exactly how she pees underwater. She must have ruined it for the rest of us!

Sorry for outing you, guys :wink:

I feel somewhat silly adding to this thread as I feel it's quite long already, but I have tons of housework to do and posting here suddenly feels like a much higher priority...

So, short story long… :wink:

When I did my OW class, I used a rental suit and didn't pee in it. It wasn't an issue as the dives were short and I didn't make a prior effort to hydrate. So I just went to the loo right before suiting up and ran back to the loo right after.

When I bought my first wetsuit, I promised myself I would never pee in it (I thought spitting in the mask was gross enough ; besides, I didn't want to "ruin" my USD400 brand new 7mm Cressi with "foul smelling" pee). After one very miserable 1 hour boat ride back to port, where I almost peed myself (no head onboard), and being chastised by more experienced divers when they found out I was not hydrating at all in order to prevent peeing, I let go of my hang-ups and never looked back.

I know some of you reading this will find it gross, but that's the way it is for me. Drinking lots of water prior to a dive, then being in contact with water (not just the pinkie finger but the whole body), as well as being under pressure, naturally stimulate the bladder. In my case, it is impossible (and would probably be unhealthy anyways) to hold it in. So there, I pee while diving. A lot. Several times. And I no longer feel shameful or guilty about it.

I'm considerate of others in the sense that I make sure no one in behind me/upcurrent when peeing, and I make sure to flush my suit and empty my booties as much as possible before being on the deck, but in all honesty, I don't think it's a big deal. I would be more concerned about releasing chemical wastes in the ocean if I were on medication. (Sidenote : I wonder if water treatment plants are efficient at preventing hormones found in contraceptive pills, antibiotics, and the likes to be released in nature).

Regarding smell : I love the smell of neoprene and that's what my suit smells like. Maybe if I ate lots of asparagus and artichoke and didn't hydrate well and didn't rinse and dry my suit afterward it woud stink, but seriously, when you're well hydrated, your pee is almost like water and doesn't smell anything. FYI, if I take care of the suit myslef, I only use detergent at the end of the dive trip.

Regarding who takes care of the suit.
In my short (and, alas, currently on-hold) dive experience, I've used both valet ops (Cozumel) and others (France, Egypt).

The dive ops I tried in Egypt were set up in a way that made it easy to take care of your own gear : rinse tanks were readily available, as well as drying racks. So no big deal, just get of the boat/truck, carry your gear a few yards, soak, rinse, hang while chitchatting with fellow divers, quite an enjoyable task.

However, in France, I went on a weekend trip where the pier was located 2 miles from our hotel. They had rinse tanks but didn't keep the gear overnight. No car (we'd taken the train) and taxi not available when we called… The walk back after diving carrying reg, BCD, fins, booties, hood, 7 mm fullsuit and other personnal belongings was no fun at all. Would gladly pay extra to avoid being in this situation again.

In Cozumel, a few years ago, I dove with Aldora while staying at a downtown hotel (Pepita) and then a local rental. At that time, they already had officially stopped taking care of their clients' wetsuits (because, I was told then, and as Dave posted earlier, wetsuits were too much alike and a pain to keep track of which belonged to whom).
Nonetheless, since my place was a solid 10 min walk from the pier and not very practical for dive equipment (no tub, nothing solid enough to hang up the suit to dry), I asked one of Aldora's staff if they'd let me use the shops tank to rinse my wetsuit. He instantly offered to take care of it himself (and of course got a good tip for it).
I've helped him do it a few times (mainly because I liked hanging out in the shop and was waiting for friends to go for lunch anyways), he'd throw the thing in its own separate bucket filled with soapy water, let it soak while doing other duties, give it a rinse and hang it on a rack.
Considering the time/effort it took him, and the salaries in Mexico, in pure financial terms I grossly overpaid him, but IMO opinion it was totally worth it and money well spent. Saved me from having to walk several blocks carrying a heavy, dripping 7mm full suit to my place, mopping puddles of water left all over the apartment after taking it out of the shower, and spending hours guarding the suit while it dried outside because there was no secure indoor place to hang it (or worse, having to don a wet wetsuit that spent the night on a shower floor the next morning. Yuck !)

Anyways, whether you pee in your wetsuit or not, take care of your gear or pay someone to do it, offer this service to your clientele or don't offer it for any reason, I don't see how it is anyone else's business to tell you whether it's right or wrong. I don't think of myself as a spoilt princess (otherwise I'd hire a cleaning lady and be sitting a a sidewalk café instead of posting here and postponing my chores), but if anyone thinks I am, so be it.

PS: for those grossed out by the idea of finding themselves next to me in a warm current, no worries. I unfortunately have no trip planned to Cozumel. I'll make sure to let SB users know next time I visit the island :wink:

(Sidenote : I wonder if water treatment plants are efficient at preventing hormones found in contraceptive pills, antibiotics, and the likes to be released in nature).
"Some pharmaceuticals remain even after wastewater treatments and cleansing by water treatment plants, the investigation showed." Drugs in Our Drinking Water?

Apparently not in the U.S. I doubt Mexican water treatment plants are much more effective.

Honestly I'm surprised the Marine Park Rules don't ban peeing in the Marine Park. That would make as much sense as the eco-sunscreen mandate.

I stayed at the Occidental Grand on my last trip, having no idea how large the property was. Every morning I carried my dry bag and 40-lb camera down some stairs, down a long path, skirted a large pool, down another path, crossed a long wooden bridge over their estuary, then walked down the beach toward their pier. All in the hot sun. It sure was nice not to have to drag a wetsuit along.

My "garden view" room had a tiny little patio out in front. Table and two chairs. No privacy fence. I suppose I could have draped the wetsuit over a chair to let it dry, hoping no one stole it, or I could have sat outside in the afternoon heat and guarded it until dry, but it was sure nice not having to deal with all that. No matter how much others here love handling their own wetsuits, claiming that the schlepping, washing, and drying processes do not impact their vacations one bit, but the princess in me disagrees! At the least, it's extra stuff to lug around (dripping wet stuff and possibly smelly stuff), extra time spent hanging up the suit to dry, extra time to dry up the floors that were puddled in the process of hanging up the suit to dry, and that's assuming there is somewhere to hang up the suit to dry - by that time, I could be on my third margarita!

It was worse at the Cozumel Palace. All the floors are marble, in the public area as well as the rooms. Even the elevators. AFAIK, the puddles I left behind didn't kill anyone, but they sure made the floor in the room slippery when I dragged the wetsuit outside to dry (at least there, the balcony was private and secure so I could leave it outside without worry). Maybe there's a secret technique I don't know about, but how do the wetsuit-keeping folks wash their suits and then hang them outside to dry without dripping water everywhere? I've tried wrapped the suit in a towel and even that doesn't stop much of the drip. No matter what, I end up using multiple towels. (All those towels then get washed in detergent that contributions to reef destruction. Therefore, having the dive op store your wetsuit is actually better for the environment too!).

With vacation being such a chore, why not hire someone to schlep the camera and the wet suit for you? You could probably even call for a cart to transport you between your room to the dock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom