New Diver, Going to Cozumel in May; Rent there or before leaving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should we rent the rest of the gear there, or is it likely we can save money renting prior to leaving.

Another thing to think about when traveling with rental gear (besides the extra baggage fees) is that you will need to get added travel insurance to cover any loss or damage by the airlines or you will be buying nice new gear twice, once to replace the rental gear and the other to buy your own personal gear afterwards (and then again to rent it at the resort if your bags are delayed or lost). Not a big chance of either happening but better safe than sorry so it doesn't ruin your first trip. Insurance it cheap.

I might be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the airlines new baggage rules won't or don't have to cover scuba and sports equipment. I know they won't cover other kinds of gear, like expensive bikes or skis in certain situations. And even if they do the amount they will give you won't cover the cost to replace even the least expensive scuba gear

Even your homeowners could have a pretty high deductible.. and you will never see any money until long after your trip is over.. and.. I might be wrong but most homeowner policies won't cover rented equipment of any kind.

Better read the fine print before you rent the gear at home just to be safe. If you do rent it at home ask your LDS how much it will cost to replace everything so you can make sure you are covered.

I would get your own flash light before hand but that is up to you. There are plenty of dive stores that you can buy from on CZM but they charge a pretty hefty price because everything has to be shipped in, especially for batteries and you will probably have a better choice at your LDShop. Lights are handy even during the day to look into nooks and under coral even in the shallows.

IMHO I think you would be better off renting gear at the resort for your first trip since you don't plan on buying your own before you leave.

Good luck.. have fun !!

I had dive gear stolen in the early 2000s and I got squat from the airline. It was called sporting equipment which is wrong since scuba diving is NOT a sport.

Scuba not a sport? :confused: Whatever, the airlines disallowing liability for scuba gear is not new - been the case for years.

So do you two have DAN dive insurance? I strongly suggest you get it. There are 3 levels, but do not get the cheapest.

No one rents sausage or other signaling devices other than puny whistles. Get sausages for each of you and consider mirrors and Storm whistles.

Good luck on your training. Equalize early, often and never ever hold your breath, stay close to your buddy, and remember ditching weights in any emergency. Hire a private DM for your first post Cert dives - money well spent.

Tis may be a bit of a deviation, but IMO the next piece of diving equipment one should buy after mask and fins is a dive computer.

You have good advice being put to you. Can I summarize? I will use some of what has been put to you. I concur in other words these things...
1. Get Dan insurance
2. Get a surface buoy/sausage and reel. Dont worry about not being able to use it below for now. just have it with your kit.
3. Dive mirrors and noise maker.
4. Dive computer would be wise. Now this is a whole new adventure in spending. Also different configurations of one. Integrated, hoseless/transmitter, or using and spg and wrist unit. Simplicity is integrated for a new diver. I would rent one at your local shop to try this out for the first time. It will usually have a computer, pressure gauge and compass on the console. Personally I like the Oceanic and their affiliate companies brand. I like the algorithms they use. Not sure if I should have added that.... But renting to see what you like is a good idea. Usually dive shops dont rent them, or they are costly as to home rental. Tell your local dive shop you would like to rent what they sell. Gives and incentive to rent cheaper maybe.
5. Preferably for me, I had a wet suit from day one. I bought a good one, Pinnacle, loved it forever, put about 1500 dives on it before donating it to a dive master who still uses it. Rental suits just did not thrill me as EVERYONE PEES IN THEM. I dont pee in my own. (dont believe that)
6. Renting bcd for now will let you see all the types available and how other divers use them/ like them.
7. Having a wind breaker/light rain jacket on the boat can be useful if it is cool at all. just a normal one is good for now.
8. A good quality gear bag. For the boat I have a mesh bag on wheels. Very nice to just drag the heavy wet gear. Also a dry bag for the boat for your clothes or stuff you dont want wet.
9. Ocean safe sunscreen.
10. Have too much fun. Great diving to ya and welcome to the greatest fun on the planet next to riding a motorcycle. lol Kev

My best advice for anyone renting equipment in a resort destination. Try to keep the same gear for the whole time you are there. That is not always possible, as the shop may not have enough gear for that. In busy times they may need to have other people using the gear during times when you are not. Because of how much the gear gets used, it can vary from reg to reg and from BCD to BCD in how well they function. Once you receive the gear give it a very good look over. Make sure the regulator mouthpieces are not only attached, but attached well enough that they don't pull off with effort (like during a slightly excited alternate air source drill). Set the gear up immediately, and make sure the BCD is fully deflated. Then leave the tank open, and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Then check to see if it is still deflated. With time and use, BCD inflators can start to leak, and slowly add air to your BCD. This is easily manageable, but much easier if you know about it before you enter the water. Finally, so long as you are still fairly new, get into the habit of setting the gear up yourself. You will be able to discover any issues with it, and learn which features you like and don't like much more easily if you are actually dealing with it, rather than just having it presented to you on the way into the water. My $0.02 Enjoy your trip.

Scuba not a sport? :confused:

TravelGuard insurance has a classification for "adventure sports" for added coverage.. but scuba is not considered an adventure sport. I have checked and double checked to make sure the agent I talked with did not make a mistake when telling me that scuba was not an adventure sport but hot air balloons rides and bungie jumping are. Most of the things they list as adventure sports require no formal training, tests or classroom time of any kind. Here is a short list from their policy declarations...

GENERAL EXCLUSIONS
This plan does not cover any loss caused by or resulting from:
(a) intentionally self-inflicted Injury, suicide, or attempted suicide
of the Insured, Family Member, Traveling Companion or
Business Partner while sane or insane;
(b) pregnancy, childbirth, or elective abortion, other than
Complications of Pregnancy;
(c) participation in professional athletic events, motor sport, or
motor racing, including training or practice for the same (does
not apply if Adventure Sports Coverage is purchased);

(d) mountaineering where ropes or guides are normally used.
The ascent or descent of a mountain requiring the use of
specialized equipment, including but not limited to pick-axes,
anchors, bolts, crampons, carabineers, and lead or top-rope
anchoring equipment
(does not apply if Adventure Sports
Coverage is purchased);

(e) war or act of war, whether declared or not, civil disorder, riot, or
insurrection;
(f) operating or learning to operate any aircraft, as student, pilot,
or crew
(does not apply if Adventure Sports Coverage is
purchased);

(g) air travel on any air-supported device, other than a regularly
scheduled airline or air charter company
(does not apply if
Adventure Sports Coverage is purchased)
;

I don't know what they classify scuba as but there is no use buying a policy and adding this option.

My best advice for anyone renting equipment in a resort destination. Try to keep the same gear for the whole time you are there. That is not always possible, as the shop may not have enough gear for that. In busy times they may need to have other people using the gear during times when you are not. Because of how much the gear gets used, it can vary from reg to reg and from BCD to BCD in how well they function. Once you receive the gear give it a very good look over. Make sure the regulator mouthpieces are not only attached, but attached well enough that they don't pull off with effort (like during a slightly excited alternate air source drill). Set the gear up immediately, and make sure the BCD is fully deflated. Then leave the tank open, and walk away for 20-30 minutes. Then check to see if it is still deflated. With time and use, BCD inflators can start to leak, and slowly add air to your BCD. This is easily manageable, but much easier if you know about it before you enter the water. Finally, so long as you are still fairly new, get into the habit of setting the gear up yourself. You will be able to discover any issues with it, and learn which features you like and don't like much more easily if you are actually dealing with it, rather than just having it presented to you on the way into the water. My $0.02 Enjoy your trip.

Some damn good advice right there ^^^^.

My only advice is if you are renting, be sure to secure and streamline all of your equipment.

Ie: make sure your octo is not dangling off to one side 3' behind you, and your spg/gauge is not dragging along the coral to your left etc. Kills me to see someone floating over the reef dragging gear along like a sea plow. :)

Enjoy, you are going to love it! Hopefully your wife is as into it as you are!

Scuba not a sport? :confused:
TravelGuard insurance has a classification for "adventure sports" for added coverage.. but scuba is not considered an adventure sport.
Ah, but you added a word, and for your example it a contract term for coverage & premiums. For lay discussion I'd still consider it an adventure sport, but that's just my opinion - not important for any reason.

Just rent from Dive Palancar. No need to haul rental gear from home and pay for it on travel days. Most dive ops on the island have good, up to date rental gear and usually don't charge much if you are diving with them, I'm sure D.P. can set you up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom