Serious question: Farting and bouyancy :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

God I love this place!! :rofl3:

I like to consider it off-gassing! Seems to get me AFTER the dive, but very rarely during.

Cool! Thanks everyone! Glad I could offer some laughs. I think I got my questions answered. I probably got more bouyant because the gas inside my body was at a higher pressure and when it left my orifice it expanded thus causing me to get bouyant. I agree that farts are mostly negligible but life changing farts are way different. Just trust me on it. As for removal, I think I will try loosening the weight belt and have the bubbles work its way up. I also learned something reading through the previous posts. NEVER gamble on a fart. Unless if it is a rental wetsuit!

Cool! Thanks everyone! Glad I could offer some laughs. I think I got my questions answered. I probably got more bouyant because the gas inside my body was at a higher pressure and when it left my orifice it expanded thus causing me to get bouyant. I agree that farts are mostly negligible but life changing farts are way different. Just trust me on it. As for removal, I think I will try loosening the weight belt and have the bubbles work its way up. I also learned something reading through the previous posts. NEVER gamble on a fart. Unless if it is a rental wetsuit!

No, that is not correct, unless you swallowed a spare air or something like that. The gas inside you body is essentially at ambient pressure. When it exceeds ambient pressure, and just by a very small bit, it will travel towards the lower pressure and eventually escape. When it does, you will become slightly less buoyant.

Why you became more buoyant (or think you did) is not at all clear. Perhaps your were a bit on the light side and subconsciously compensating by swimming down. After the relief you may have become more comfortable and relaxed and stopped compensating. Or maybe you just enjoyed it that much!!!

I'll take a shot at this.... We'll leave it to the gastroenterologists to see if I got it right.

The gas produced in the digestive system is precipitated by chemical reactions of liquid components. The incompressible semisolid burrito mixes with incompressible liquid digestive juices to evolve fart gas that provides buoyancy. The fart gas was created (released from precursors constituents) in the intestines. It wasn't there before.

My childhood dream of being a deep sea diver and centuries of humanity's undersea exploration has come to this....

Last edited:
No, that is not correct, unless you swallowed a spare air or something like that. The gas inside you body is essentially at ambient pressure. When it exceeds ambient pressure, and just by a very small bit, it will travel towards the lower pressure and eventually escape. When it does, you will become slightly less buoyant.

Why you became more buoyant (or think you did) is not at all clear. Perhaps your were a bit on the light side and subconsciously compensating by swimming down. After the relief you may have become more comfortable and relaxed and stopped compensating. Or maybe you just enjoyed it that much!!!

First - just so all my buddies are aware of this in advance.... There is no way I am doing this kind of bubble check!

If "gas" (talking about gas the state of matter not "the gas) in your body is always at ambient pressure than why do we have to 'equalize' our air spaces (like ears and mask, etc)?

just a theory, and I have no real working knowledge of how the body really works
- This being a life changing flatulence, is it possible that whatever was causing "the gas" worked much like a scuba compressor. - compressing "the gas" into a storage vessel (like a cascade tank or scuba tank) until at some point his burst disc blew causing all the compressed gas to not only to vent but expand as well. Not really related to the pressure cause by being a depth but the pressure built up in whatever cavity in our body holds the gas being over pressurized.

- Why did I get bouyant after farting? I'm assuming I had that gas in me before I jumped into the water properly weighted. I was also neutrally bouyant at the bottom.
- If this were to happen again, what is the best way to overcome it?

You probably generated the gas underwater.

The only way around it that I'm aware of is to not eat "gassy" good before diving, or get better at venting your wetsuit. If you need to cinch your weight belt on tight enough that it's "gas tight" you might want to switch to something like a DUI Weight and Trim Harness that doesn't require a tight fit to stay on.

flots.

Last edited:
First - just so all my buddies are aware of this in advance.... There is no way I am doing this kind of bubble check!

If "gas" (talking about gas the state of matter not "the gas) in your body is always at ambient pressure than why do we have to 'equalize' our air spaces (like ears and mask, etc)?

just a theory, and I have no real working knowledge of how the body really works
- This being a life changing flatulence, is it possible that whatever was causing "the gas" worked much like a scuba compressor. - compressing "the gas" into a storage vessel (like a cascade tank or scuba tank) until at some point his burst disc blew causing all the compressed gas to not only to vent but expand as well. Not really related to the pressure cause by being a depth but the pressure built up in whatever cavity in our body holds the gas being over pressurized.

Because the gas volume changes with pressure changes (Boyle's Law). Think of it like the gas in your lungs. It is basically at ambient pressure. Their are some very slight pressure differentials created as you breath but those difference are quite small (less than 1" of water). Remember, cracking pressure on your regulator is about 1" of water. Let that go up to 2" and breathing gets uncomfortable so the pressure differences are quite small. Ambient pressure at the surface is 30" of water (1 atm) and increases proportionally with depth.

Wouldn't it be something if you could top off your tank with a burrito.:shocked2:

I think swallowing air when I was at deeper depths make sense too. I know I have a tendency to swallow air. When I go on long swims I sometimes end with a bloated stomach. I might be swallowing air underwater and contributed to my life changing fart.

There's no way a fart itself will change your buoyancy. First the volume of an actual fart is too low. Second, before you let er rip, for the pressure inside your colon to have been high enough to significantly compress the fart so that upon release it could expand enough to alter your buoyancy, you would have probably ruptured an intestinal wall.

I'm thinking that you took a breath and held it in order to push it out and didn't realize you were because of the life changing nature of the fart. Then by the time you'd recovered from your blissful state you were already rising because and had to snap into recovery mode.

If the panel can extend all the way past the crotch, it would be nice to not have to half strip the wetsuit to pee.

Ah ha - thats what I've been doing wrong !

You'll learn (smile)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom