Serious question: Farting and bouyancy :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Expelling the gas is easy. Go head up, loosen your weight belt and pull it away from your back...and up it goes. Even if you have a hood.

Nothing like forced hot air heating systems!!!:nuke:

All the accident analysis over the years is incorrect, I think we're onto something here. It's not poor training, its bad burritos causing run away ascents. Someone get DAN on the phone.

Expelling the gas is easy. Go head up, loosen your weight belt and pull it away from your back...and up it goes. Even if you have a hood.

Dropped one while snorkelling the other day that travelled up my back, under my arm and left me with a large air bubble at the wrist seal. Had to peel back the sleeve to let it out and it was a very strange sensation feeling the gas working it's way around the suit. Wetsuit wash really is wonderful stuff.

- Why did I get bouyant after farting?

Apart from splitting my sides, the question is valid, though if I might re-ask it: "does gas under pressure have the same buoyancy as gas not under pressure" and the answer is. Nope. They indeed have different bouyancies. Freedivers will tell you that after a certain amount of depth, they no longer have to fight to stay down. In fact the buoyancy of the air in the their lungs has compressed past the point where gravity over comes it and on down they go. They have to fight to swim back up and over come the tipping point. At least, that's what I've been told. I'm not a free diver. Can anyone confirm?

Apart from splitting my sides, the question is valid, though if I might re-ask it: "does gas under pressure have the same buoyancy as gas not under pressure" and the answer is. Nope. They indeed have different bouyancies. Freedivers will tell you that after a certain amount of depth, they no longer have to fight to stay down. In fact the buoyancy of the air in the their lungs has compressed past the point where gravity over comes it and on down they go. They have to fight to swim back up and over come the tipping point. At least, that's what I've been told. I'm not a free diver. Can anyone confirm?

When free diving, lungs and wetsuit compress with depth making you less and less buoyant as you descend. I'm not a hard core free diver but in getting to 100 feet, you weight yourself so you reach neutral buoyancy at about 30 feet. So, you kick hard to get to 30, soft kick to 65 feet or so and glide down to 100. You are negative at 100 but don't really need to "fight" to get back up. Just kick a bit.
Back to farting....I eat oatmeal with a lot of milk for breakfast before I free dive spearfish....pretty much every week. And by noon, I start farting a lot. Other than scaring the fish a bit, it's pretty easy to get it out of the wetsuit. I can't see it really affecting buoyancy at depth using scuba. Of course, I can't recall ripping a life changer. :D

I can see ripping a life changer, but unless you are in a space suit I this type of dutch oven treatment should not affect you as much as draining an AL 80...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom