Is GUE Fundies right for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about doing GUE fundies to see if I could learn something new but the black skirted mask thing and the no split-fins thing just won't work with me.

I'm not up on current standards, but what is the black skirted mask thing?

Equipment Requirements

Each student should have, and be familiar with, all of the following required equipment.

1. Tanks/Cylinders: Students may use dual tanks/cylinders connected with a dual outlet isolator manifold, which allows for the use of two first-stages. Students may also use a single tank/cylinder with a K, H, or Y-valve.
  2. Regulators: One of the second-stages must be on a 5- to 7-foot/1.5- to 2-meter hose. One of the first-stages must supply a pressure gauge and provide inflation for a dry suit (where applicable).
  3. Backplate System: A rigid and flat platform, of metal construction with minimal padding, held to a diver by one continuous piece of nylon webbing. This webbing should be adjustable through the plate and should use a buckle to secure the system at the waist. A crotch strap attached to the lower end of this platform and looped through the waistband would prevent the system from riding up a diver's back. A knife should be secured to the waist on the left webbing tab. This webbing should support five D-rings; the first should be placed at the left hip, the second should be placed in line with a diver's right collarbone, the third should be placed in line with the diver's left collarbone, the fourth and fifth should be affixed to the crotch strap to use while scootering or towing/stowing gear. The harness below the diver's arms should have small restrictive bands to allow for the placement of reserve light powered by three in-line c-cell batteries (where necessary). The system should retain a minimalist approach with no unnecessary components.
  4. Buoyancy Compensation Device: A diver's buoyancy compensation device should be back-mounted and minimalist in nature. It should come free of extraneous strings, tabs, or other material. There should be no restrictive bands or "bungee" of any sort affixed to the buoyancy cell. In addition, diver lift should not exceed 50lbs for a single tank and 80lbs for double tanks. Wing size and shape should be appropriate to the cylinder size(s) employed for training.
  5. At least one time/depth-measuring device
  6. Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split
  7. At least one cutting device
  8. Wet Notes
  9. One spool with 100 feet/30 meters of line per diver
  10. At least one surface-marker buoy per diver
  11. Exposure suit appropriate for the duration of exposure
  12. Double cylinders with isolation manifold, and appropriately sized double-tank buoyancy compensation device.*
  13. One primary light: A primary light should be minimalist in design; its power source should consist of a rechargeable battery pack residing in a canister powering an external light head via a light cord. Primary lights should produce the equivalent output of 50-watt halogen/10-watt HID lighting or greater.*
  14. Two reserve lights: Reserve lights should be powered by two or three in-line non-rechargeable C-cell batteries, with a minimum of protrusions and a single attachment at its rear. The light should be activated and de-activated by twisting the front bezel.*
*Required equipment 12 through 14 applies only to students seeking admittance into Tech or Cave training.

Note: Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements. Whether or not a piece of equipment fulfills GUE’s equipment requirement remains at the discretion of GUE and its instructor representatives. Participants are responsible for providing all equipment or for making provisions to secure the use of necessary equipment before the start of the course. In general, it is better for the student to learn while using his or her own equipment. However, students should exercise caution before purchasing new equipment to avoid acquiring substandard equipment. Please contact a GUE representative prior to making any purchases. Information about recommended equipment can be obtained from the equipment considerations section of GUE's Web site.

I don't see anything about a black mask skirt but many of the other equipment requirements are quite specific. Fnfalman's split fins would definitely be disqualified, as would all of my equipment. I'm glad I'm confident in my skills and don't feel compelled to follow this path. I'd be glad to dive with you, we could have the opportunity in Boynton Beach or Jupiter, it would be fun.

Good diving, Craig

I believe it is coming from the same person who says you have to be dressed in all black :shakehead:

Sure glad the reality is I can dive my orange drysuit, or my yellow Chuck's with my clear mask and not have GUE divers say I can't dive with them. Of course I have never met a GUE diver with a chip on their shoulder either, but there sure are a lot of GUE haters.

One could not properly perform the skills needed in split fins, so we use paddle fins (They could be yellow!) that allow a diver to achieve a new skill set. I couldn't imagine not being able to frog kick let alone back up.

It always makes me chuckle (or tear my hair out, depending on the person and the day) when people get all huffy about the equipment requirements of GUE classes. One of the core values of the agency/system is standardization. Being put out about that is as silly as getting mad at them because they teach horizontal trim. It's all part of what they do, and nobody needs to do it unless they want to. Some of us find standardized equipment quite attractive as a concept (and find the particular equipment very useful).

I believe it is coming from the same person who says you have to be dressed in all black :shakehead:

I find this hilarious. I read this ALL the time, yet GUE/DIR divers are some of the most colorful divers I dive with. As for myself, between my blue drygloves, my red drysuit overlay, my pink or blue doubles, yellow or pink Jetfins, and my clear or colored-diaphragm G250s, I'm like a dang peacock in the water! And my GUE/DIR dive buddies are also rockin' some crazy colors.

I guess we're a strokefest to the hardcore internet-DIR divers. :wink:

Zach,

It would definitely be worth your while to head to San Marcos and dive with Mike and the Central TX group. I've been down there a couple of times myself.

We have another group up in North Central TX, but are all really part of a whole, as it should be. While we are still in our infancy, one day we will have a GUE meetup dive here in TX and hopefully that will start with about 10-12 GUE divers and as many GUE curious folk as want to come out and check out the system, eat the good grub, or just enjoy the diving. :)

Mask and fins: Mask should be low volume; fins should be rigid, non-split

That's the only mention about masks, and you're right, it doesn't say anything about needing to be black. In fact, I even remember stories about old-school DIR divers reading gauges in a silt-out by pressing the gauge to their mask and illuminating it by shining their light through the clear skirt. Maybe apocryphal, but it tends to illustrate that there's usually a reasoned decision behind each of the equipment standards.

I'd be glad to dive with you, we could have the opportunity in Boynton Beach or Jupiter, it would be fun.

Good diving, Craig

Likewise! I'd love to make it down to Florida and try out some of that warm, clear water. It'd also let me leave my all-black drysuit (there were no color choices!) behind for a change. :)

Slightly off topic but you might wanna check out UTD too. Their HQ is in SoCal, and if you go UTD route, you get arguably the best trainer of them all :wink:
Not true, Guy Shockey is not in So Cal...and is not UTD :wink:

Greetings Zach,

There are several of us GUE instructors who are also ex-military and it may be useful to have our perspective since this is where you are in your life. Drop me a line at gs@gue.com and I will be happy to continue this conversation.

Best,

Guy

If Guy is willing to share his amazing wealth of knowledge with you, I would take advantage of that. He's a great educator and a great umm... "Guy".

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 05:00 PM ----------

PS. We do "tweak dives" for GUE divers and for GUE interested divers about once a month in Los Angeles. We would be happy to have you join us, come and talk to people, whatever you like.

I thought I read fnfalman was making stuff up and I was right. OP and others, just ignore what he has to say as he is against GUE, as shown in many of his posts.

Some just feel the need to be better than others because they read something somewhere or take a class then go and wear all black gears or use a long hose/short hose with a Hog harness backplate.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...stems/306392-air3-bp-w-setup.html#post5519086

There's more than one way to skin a cat and you don't have to look all-black naval commando in order to learn how to do tech diving.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...transplate-vs-other-bp-w-rig.html#post4912692

fnfalman, you have now been clearly informed black is not a requirement of GUE. There is no need to keep perpetuating the false rumor(s).

Likewise! I'd love to make it down to Florida and try out some of that warm, clear water. It'd also let me leave my all-black drysuit (there were no color choices!) behind for a change.
icosm14.gif
Right now the water is cold...a drysuit is still in order down there. Heck right now bring a jacket! We froze in Florida last week.

Right now the water is cold...a drysuit is still in order down there. Heck right now bring a jacket! We froze in Florida last week.

Grrr....next you're going to tell me Disneyworld burned down!

Back
Top Bottom