Equipment Modifications for Sidemount Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where in Makati? Not seen them around?

They can be hard to find, we always used a camping/outdoor shop (I forget the name!) just outside Cinema Square, there's a similar shop near True Value in Park Square also - although both only tend to to stock up to the 6l packs, you need to order in the 10l if they don't have any in stock.

Alternatively there's a supplier in Pasig, although I've not used them before -
T3ck Outdoor and Adventure Shop

Thanks, I'll wander down to Cinema Square later and root around. I never noticed a camping shop there, but normally don't explore outside of the mall itself.

I seldom get worked up over a thread, but I will make an exception here. And, typing this after a couple of stiff 'adult beverages' may allow my comments to become somewhat 'unguarded'. But, I have a nonsense meter that is registering values that are off the scale on this one.
Karl_H:
Sorry guys but this post is very wrong
. . . don't forget sidemount is not a new system, it's been used in the cave community for a long time and most of these modified versions were tried and rejected. Some companies lost way a little around the same time and are still trying to flog a dead horse with these systems (read as OMS) but otherwise a common consensus is been reached on which systems work well and which don't.
What is 'very wrong' about this?As far as I can tell. there is NO SUCH CONSENSUS, even though SM has been used for a VERY long time. This is nonsense. I would agree that the OMS system may not be optimal for caves - but if you think that sidemount is only appropriate for caves, you have long since been passed by on the road (highway) of diving innovation.
Karl_H:
PADI have really brought sidemount into the limelight so to speak but have also been responsible a new draft of sidemount divers,
I disagree with this, entirely. In fact (as a PADI SM instructor) I have been concerned that PADI, if anything, has not done near enough to promote sidemount. I initially learned little or nothing about SM from PADI - I learned a lot by trial and error, and I learned by trying different approaches, I learned by asking questions, I learned a lot from early SM divers, and I learned by applying what I knew about BM diving. If PADI is the leader in this, I am surprised that SM has gained any traction. That is NOT, in any way, a criticism of PADI at all, merely a reflection that the development of SM popularity is not a result of anything that PADI has done. Is the use of Nitrox the result of PADI 'bringing nitrox into the limelight'? A hint - if you say yes, . . . then there is little hope.
Karl_H:
this could work out well in terms of new ideas but re-inventing things which don’t work and then preaching about the benefits of these systems isn’t evolution.
Probably the best business quote (from the Top Ten Signs of Business Stagnation) to dismiss this nonsense is, 'We tried that once before, but it didn't work.'

I must ask the obvious question, 'What doesn't work?' The fact is that most of this stuff 'works'. For example, the fact is that a buttplate is not necessary (even though I use one), if you look at Steve Martin's rigs. For that matter, sidemount could simply be diving with a couple of deco/stage bottles. Why is another rig 'better'?
Karl_H:
Razor changed warm water sidemount with the harness they developed, but they never really worked out the bladder.
Really? I would suggest there are a more than a few warm water SM (Razor) divers who might take issue with the statement about the bladder.
Right now Razor, UTD and X-Deep are leading the way in warm water sidemount
Really? Where is this happening? Give me a break! I can't see that any system / manufacturer is 'leading the way'. For that matter, it should be argued that Dive Rite is 'leading the way'. I think the Razor is incredibly innovative, and I love what I read about the X-Deep system. But, X-Deep is 'leading the way?' Are you a distributor for X-Deep?
Karl_H:
while some other manufacturers are still living in the sidemount equivalent of the horse collar and double hose reg era of diving.
The funny part about this is that I have a number of colleagues and dive buddies who are ardent 'vintage' divers, and they would say that your comment about 'the horse collar and double hose reg era' borders on ridiculous.
Karl_H:
Buying a branded harness can be expensive but it’s very easy to put one together at a lower price, after all that’s what we were doing before the sidemount boom of the last two years?
Again, where have you been? The entire reason we continue to have new systems develop is that people were doing exactly the opposite. The beauty of SM is the innovation. From innovation we get new ideas, and from new ideas come better ways of doing things. If we adopted the idea that 'tried and failed' means don't keep trying, we would still, to use your example, be diving horse collars.
Karl_H:
I’d be very reluctant to offer ‘try sidemount’ courses without using the right equipment, otherwise I may as well name my courses ‘try a modified backmount rig with the tanks at the side’ course?
Then, don't offer it. (And, BTW, what is the 'right' equipment?) Let (a lot of) others do offer it. It would almost seem that you're a BM diver who has reluctantly moved to SM simply because of its popularity. So, forget BM - and I say that as a BM diver who still dives that way quite often. Yes, A LOT of us moved into SM from BM, but not just as a replacement, rather as an additional style. Frankly, it is a whole new world out there. Get with it, or get out of the way. If you want to 'curse the rain' or 'howl at the moon', fine. Move over to the side of the road while you do it, so you don't block others who are not interested in wasting time doing that.
Karl_H:
If someone specifically asks to use a modified harness then perhaps, but to offer them discover sidemount in this kind of rig is bordering on fraud…
Fraud? Where is this nonsense coming from??? There IS NO STANDARD in SM at this point. How is it fraud? Divers are still experimenting, every day, with various approaches. Personally, I think some are much better than others. But, sidemount diving is - FORTUNATELY- still a ground for experimentation, for development of new ideas, etc. Because something has been 'tried and rejected' - which is simply not true for the most part, anyway - in a cave environment doesn't mean it is not reasonable to try in an OW environment. So, perhaps to even undermine my own argument, I have OW SM students work in either a Nomad or a Profile - because that is what I have available for them. Does that mean I tell them these are the ONLY rigs? Absolutely not. It happens that some of my students are BM divers looking for a different approach - I can use either rig with them, but the Profile is a good start since they have a backplate already - or OW divers who have never used dual cylinders. In that case, it doesn't matter, although if they are not BP divers I put them in a Nomad.

I don't know that the approach the OP is using is a good idea - the idea of putting a second plate on the back seems a little cumbersome. It may turn out to be a dead end. But, I am not willing to dismiss it simply because it is not 'standard'.

Last edited:
Colliam,

Firstly let me once again state I'm talking about warm water side mount, Dive Rite in cold water- fair enough but warm water sorry, no way.

I'm not a distributor for UTD or X-Deep, and you'll find even the Razor people themselves will agree they never worked out the bladder before the Razor 2 was released, in fact there was no bladder with it so I'm really not sure what you are going on about. Between UTD, X-Deep and the Razor 2 you have the best three warm warm harness by far, right now - the Z-Trim and the Stealth 2.0 are the best harnesses available for warm water, the Razor 2 is a little behind but I'd expect the Razor 3 would push things further again and become the market leader. Hence they are leading the way for warm water, full stop. Sorry to say anyone who can't see this shouldn't be teaching sidemount, the only other harness even close to these 3 is the SMS50 which just isn't in the same league.

We've been putting together side mount harness for quite a few years now and there's much better alternatives to do this, cost is an issue with the off the shelf harnesses but that doesn't mean putting together a hybrid system with lots of bad ideas is a good idea. These days we have all found out diving air 100m+ is a bad idea too, I guess you're of the school not trying this is a bad idea then? If it fails once or twice I'd agree it could still have potential, but failing hundreds,even thousands of times, there's better solutions.

If you take a look at Steve Martin's website you'll also see he says these systems don't really work and he now exclusively uses the Razor 2, none of the other systems - doesn't sound like they work to me?

The big problem I see is that here in the Philippines we're seeing a lot of instructors, or even instructor trainers in sidemount thanks to PADI, most of whom would hardly scrape through a good student level course in my opinion and some of them clearly have no idea what so ever. If you want to come and see, feel free, or ask around other people here.

The PADI course in warm water has been pushed and pushed, maybe not in your area but here's it's had a major push. There's now a whole bunch or side mount experts with a maximum of a couple of hundred dives in side mount, or in some cases less than 10 dives, the only thing more alarming to me is that some people are believing the rubbish they are telling other people.

Thats my thoughts, we don't necissarily have to agree, I'd just rather tell people the truth rather than sugar coat it and pretend it's fine. All the sidemount accidents waiting to happen we're seeing every week here in the Philippines will kill someone one day soon - I'd rather upset a few people trying to talk sense rather than just say it's okay.

Appologies if this offends but maybe when you get more side mount experience or see what's happening all over the warm water diving world you'll see where I'm coming from.

Karl

I dived my Nomad in Cayman. Not sure how I survived!!

There's a big difference between survived and the best tool for the job? There's also a big difference between a Nomad and a home made rig....

Nice video! I couldn't help getting tickled looking at the logo at the beginning of the video though. The scene in Dumb and Dumber came to mind where Jim Carey is day dreaming while driving and Lauren Holley takes her top off and the 2 headlights from a semi are where her breasts should be. :D

WOW! I see a lot of activity on this thread originally posted by me! Thanks for some advises regarding using the OMS soft sidemout adaptor instead of a 2nd backplate. I actually did it already and yes it works much better than 2 backplates. Once again my modification is just an idea and everybody should follow or do what is best for them.

I would agree that the OMS system may not be optimal for caves - but if you think that sidemount is only appropriate for caves, you have long since been passed by on the road (highway) of diving innovation.

In this case of this thread, and perhaps Karl's post (how I interpret it), it wasn't a critique of the OMS SM system particularly - but rather the 'approach' of sandwiching two metal backplates around a wing to form an ad-hoc improvised sidemount. I see a big difference between that and the process of delicately testing and adjusting a DIY rig, based on intimate experience and significant trialing.

The use of solid/metal backplates is a significant issue to be addressed when developing a DIY sidemount rig. It was an issue that I also faced when developing my rig - and I made the decision to make some small extra expense & effort to obtain and adapt a soft-plate and specific solution to 'wing taco'.

Solid/metal backplates could be classed as a 'known hazard' for overhead environment diving - they present the risk of entrapment in confined spaces. Diving in open water doesn't present that hazard... but when used within a training system, we should strive towards a best-practice approach that eliminates all known hazards, in the assumption the student diver may progress from open-water into overhead environment at a later stage. Teach once...teach right.

The choice to use 2x backplates, rather than an alternative solution, is not made on the basis of 'best'. It is made on the basis of 'cost', 'convenience' or 'ignorance of alternatives'.

That may be ok for the individual diver - but it is not (IMHO) satisfactory for a sidemount educator...

I learned a lot by trial and error, and I learned by trying different approaches, I learned by asking questions, I learned a lot from early SM divers, and I learned by applying what I knew about BM diving.

So did most of us. So do most of the new divers/instructors into sidemount. An issue to consider is whether an instructor should still be in the early stages of that 'trial and error', or whether that educator and role-model should already have reached a high degree of refinement.

Sandwiching two backplates isn't generally illustrative of a 'high degree of refinement' in sidemount.

It does not indicate much trial-and-error has occured. It does not indicate that many questions were asked...

If PADI is the leader in this, I am surprised that SM has gained any traction. That is NOT, in any way, a criticism of PADI at all, merely a reflection that the development of SM popularity is not a result of anything that PADI has done. Is the use of Nitrox the result of PADI 'bringing nitrox into the limelight'? A hint - if you say yes, . . . then there is little hope.

How do we define 'leadership'.

As mentioned in a previous post on this thread - PADI do nothing to innovate diving. They watch the market, let others (whether agencies or individual instructors) prove a concept...and then, if they see money in it, they will wait until a member instructor submits a workable 'distinctive specialty' application... plagiarize steal that outline...unleash their marketing drones and offer the outline/rating to any instructor-gimp that sees a buck to be made teaching something they never heard of or understood before...

Was PADI a leader in Nitrox? They certainly didn't innovate the practice. But they did see the trend...and a buck to be made. So yes, they lead the field by popularizing it.

PADI's "leadership" in the community is driven by their marketing-gremlins, not diving pioneers.

I must ask the obvious question, 'What doesn't work?' The fact is that most of this stuff 'works'. For example, the fact is that a buttplate is not necessary (even though I use one), if you look at Steve Martin's rigs.

It's a simple case of optimal versus workable.

Some element of universality has to apply. Sidemount is a system. Sidemount courses teach that system. They are equipment-training courses - not environment-training courses. There is no "Open Water Sidemount" or "Cave Sidemount". There is only "Sidemount".

If you (an instructor) offer to teach sidemount... then your approach has to be consistent, safe and applicable to whatever environment your students might use that equipment configuration within.

Some instructors/courses pass that criteria. Others, plainly, do not.

For that matter, sidemount could simply be diving with a couple of deco/stage bottles. Why is another rig 'better'?

Clipping on deco bottle/s and using them for back-gas is not sidemount. If it were, what would be the point of providing sidemount training?

Let's be honest... if we abandon all standards and erase any consensus/definition of what sidemount diving is, then we de-value the concept and benefits of sidemount to the point of non-existence.

I've seen (so-called) sidemount instructors teaching nothing more than 'deco-stage use for back-gas'. It IS fraud. It is not driven by intimate trial-and-error...or personal preference... it is driven by ignorance. They are teaching a subject they don't understand. PADI support them in that.

The beauty of SM is the innovation. From innovation we get new ideas, and from new ideas come better ways of doing things. If we adopted the idea that 'tried and failed' means don't keep trying, we would still, to use your example, be diving horse collars.

Specific to this thread... do you think that 2x sandwiched backplates is innovative?

There is a place for innovation. There is a place for 'trial-and-error'. That place is not in sidemount diving classes. "Hey students, give me your money and I'll show you something that I am making up as I go along..."

Classes...lessons.. are a place for best-practices to be shared.

Yes, there are variations in what instructors might prefer as 'best-practice'... but the competent instructor has the capacity to share that spectrum of approaches. They can present a 'daisy-chain' or 'ring bungee'... single or continuous bungees....etc etc etc and discuss their merits. They can explain why a solid backplate is a liability in some circumstances. They can refine optimum comfort and performance for their students.

I can't talk on Karl's behalf.... but what I see in his post is a preference...that is validated and composed. Preference by experience. Preference by education. In contrast, what I see in some other instructors' approaches is a weak breadth of understanding... preference by ignorance.

There IS NO STANDARD in SM at this point. How is it fraud? Divers are still experimenting, every day, with various approaches.

The same can be said for backmount. However, we... the tech community... do have some very well founded and proven (by accident analysis) best-practices. The same evolution is occurring with sidemount.

If you dive backmount, then the chances are that you are using a hogarthian approach. I bet you necklace bungee a short-hose secondary. I bet you have a long hose looped to the neck. I bet you use steel cylinder-bands and an isolation manifold. Yes?

Remember... none of those 'undeniable' configuration factors you see as 'standard'....are not "standards". Yet, how would you view a instructor who didn't teach them? More so... how would you view an instructor who didn't know of them!?!

I think some are much better than others. But, sidemount diving is - FORTUNATELY- still a ground for experimentation, for development of new ideas, etc.

Sidemount diving. Not sidemount training. This thread was started on the premise of supplying training (in a given configuration).

And beyond all other discussion... clipping two stages onto a jacket-bcd cannot be defined as sidemount diving. THAT isn't experimentation... it's a mockery of experimentation. There's plenty of concepts, already accepted in the sidemount community as 'foundational' that don't need experimentation.

Because something has been 'tried and rejected' - which is simply not true for the most part, anyway - in a cave environment doesn't mean it is not reasonable to try in an OW environment.

Just as Devil's Advocate... would you share the same outlook in your BM classes? Is that a venue where you'd experiment and allow knowledge to pass that disregarded all of the accident analysis and progression that has emerged from cave diving best-practices?

I do agree that we (the sidemount community) should actively avoid the clique mind-set that plagued the transition of back-mounted 'standardization', from caves to open-water technical diving. That said, there is a fine balance between resisting dogmatic and single-track preferences, versus the benefits of accepting proven lessons and applying them, with intelligence, to form an ideal approach and, perhaps, a community consensus.

...the idea of putting a second plate on the back seems a little cumbersome. It may turn out to be a dead end. But, I am not willing to dismiss it simply because it is not 'standard'.

My issue isn't whether it is 'practicable'.... but whether it represents the quality of instruction that a future sidemount diver could expect from a training course. As you say... it may "turn out to be a dead end". I agree that it might. As such, should it be endorsed and promulgated during the course of sidemount training lessons.... by a (card-carrying) expert and educator on sidemount diving? Given the huge discrepancy between that 'configuration' and the other alternatives and approaches available... my opinion is that it falls woefully short of those expectations. I assume that was what Karl was trying to communicate also.

Further to that... as Karl also illustrated... there are likely to be substantial differences in the scuba industry in different locations. Here in the Philippines, sidemount has had a significant impact. There are hordes of new sidemount instructors emerging in Asia. What Karl seems to indicate...and something I particularly agree with... is that some form of standardization and 'quality management' does need to exist. Otherwise, you get a bunch of drones teaching (very) bad practices out of ignorance. Some instructors will take the buck, even when they know they don't deserve it. There IS fraud happening here with sidemount courses... I've seen plentiful evidence of that. I am sure Karl has too. That fact may go a long way to explaining our particular view-points on the subject. :wink:

Just remember, no one elected you guys sidemount gods, so don't assume to define what is and isn't sidemount for the rest of us.

Besides the redundant bladder to be used for a wetsuit, which can be resolved with a drysuit for deep dives, what is the difference between warm and cold water sidemount anyways?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom