How much should an airfill be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wrote an article about cost-justifying the purchase of a compressor for garage brews more than a decade ago.

The bottom line was that it is not a viable alternative given that there is someone reasonably close willing to sell you a decent fill at a reasonable price.

The situation has not changed much in my opinion.

To some extent, the data used in that article came from running my own fill-station. I supplied students and my dive buddies with Nitrox and Trimix. I had all the paperwork, insurance, business license, blender certification and checks and balances in place.

On average and with costs amortized over 12 months, filling a cylinder with air (the size and working pressure are virtually immaterial but for the sake of argument I used a 14 litre cylinder charged to 210 bar as my default) cost me about twice what the local shop was charging. Nitrox was slightly better, but not much, and trimix was a lot better (but helium then was about 1/8th what it costs today) but those savings did not compensate for the setup and running costs... and this was when I was logging around 100 trimix dives a year.

It WAS more convenient, but not less costly.

We charge $20 U.S. to fill a cylinder. It doesn't matter if it is an 80 cuft. SCUBA tank or a 2 cuft. tank for a back country avalanche float bag.

I figure that we are just breaking even if that. ( We don't fill a ton of tanks. )

However, one gentleman did give my wife a nice tip after filling his 2 cuft. bottle.

Ohhh... Come on now.... it only cost 25 cents to fill my tire at my LGS "local gas station"... Some times I can get two done if I didn't run it to low.... Your just a greedy dive shop try to rip us poor divers off.....:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim...

Ohhh... Come on now.... it only cost 25 cents to fill my tire at my LGS "local gas station"...
Have you tried to fill your SCUBA tank at your local gas station?

wow that's steep (compared to my local costs). What do you charge to rent a tank?

My guess is he makes them buy it as "personal gear".

wow that's steep (compared to my local costs). What do you charge to rent a tank?
We charge $30 to rent a full SCUBA cylinder.

On thing I noticed, when people are calculating cost is that when they are doing electric comparisons they are using RESIDENTAL rates... Businesses pay alot more... In NYC most businesses get a demand meter, it basically monitors peak demand over 5 minute intervals and raises a multiplier each time a threshold is met... The first timne I saw my electric bill I nearly fainted... I had to dramatically change the way I filled my banks and had to set it up for automatic filling during the night as the rates are lower..
In NYC the consumption rate is about 10 cents per KW hour and another 10 cents for delievery charge..

my compressor takes is about out 6KW per hour.. so thats $1.20 an al 80 takes about 20 mins to fill.. thats $0.40 to fill the tank.. sounds cheap doesnt it.. but the shops multipler is usually around 20 (some months less, some more).. so it costs me about $8 in electricity for that fill.... Now this doesn't include my cost for filters, compressor maintenence, gas testing, or labor..

The filters can be a big thing as well.. My gas needs to meet ANDI standards so my filtration costs are much higher than the average shop.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 01:12 PM ----------

He definitely enhances the point that a $8 fill is more than reasonable.. if we use his 1500 fills at 3 fills an hour thats 500 hours of labor.. even at minimum wage of $8 thats still $4k and that doesnt take into account all the time it takes to maintain the compressor.. I wish I had his electric rates!
The filtration costs are also very low.. the stock unit without additional filtration just meets grade e gas.. I couldn;t imagine having to use grade e.. He needs at least $1500 in additional filtration equipment plus filtration...

Have you tried to fill your SCUBA tank at your local gas station?
It was supposed to be a funny post silly....:wink: Didn't you see all the laughter......:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Jim...

OK, I get it now. We are a little slower up here @ 8000'.

Back
Top Bottom