Shore diving in doubles....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drive up North to Monterey... We do it all the time. Of course the gem of our local dive spots Pt Lobos you are never more than 10 yards away from the water. Watch out for the ramp though... it gets slippery from algae every now and then.

I've been doing it alot recently. But the walk to the beach isn't that far in the sites Ive been at, and I haven't done it in high surf conditions. Actually, I am more hesitant to dive doubles in some small boats where you are expected to climb a little ladder, with no high hand hold to pull yourself up with, in full gear.

OP - could you please be a little more specific about what your concerns are?

Lots of folks do it here... I'm only aware of one of them breaking an ankle.

Be careful... that's a whack of weight.

(Being old, if I can't fall out of a boat to dive, screw it!)

Shore diving with doubles really depend on how fit/crazy/mental or just plain desperate you are lol.

Done shore entries with 3 full alu 80s on a cobble beach, surf and waddling backwards all the while... not fun at all!

Afterwards, even a tree stump can become more important then an urgent toilet break.

Unless the beach is smooth and the waves gentle otherwise forget it!

I am not a tech diver, I do it all the time too, I love the long bottom time I get from a set of LP85. Not that I don't like boat charter, just I hate the logistic: wake up 5:30am, load gears, start driving at by 6am, get to dock by 8am, sufer sea sick for 1+ hour, only then I can enjoy the fantasitic dives, then sufer sea sick for the return ride. As much as I love it, I can't stand this kind of logistic too often.

Pack the night before and sleep an extra 30min :)

I am not a tech diver, I do it all the time too, I love the long bottom time I get from a set of LP85. Not that I don't like boat charter, just I hate the logistic: wake up 5:30am, load gears, start driving at by 6am, get to dock by 8am, sufer sea sick for 1+ hour, only then I can enjoy the fantasitic dives, then sufer sea sick for the return ride. As much as I love it, I can't stand this kind of logistic too often.

Split a room w/ your friends, get up at 755am and stagger over to the boat. Sleep on the ride out. Dive. Sleep on the ride back. Trick your friends into loading the gear an driving back. Sleep on the way back.

It's simple as that!

Split a room w/ your friends, get up at 755am and stagger over to the boat. Sleep on the ride out. Dive. Sleep on the ride back. Trick your friends into loading the gear an driving back. Sleep on the way back.

It's simple as that!

I really need to try and trick my buddy into loading the gear back in my car.... aside from that, living 5 minutes from my favorite boat does has it's perks :wink:

I've been doing it alot recently. But the walk to the beach isn't that far in the sites Ive been at, and I haven't done it in high surf conditions. Actually, I am more hesitant to dive doubles in some small boats where you are expected to climb a little ladder, with no high hand hold to pull yourself up with, in full gear.

OP - could you please be a little more specific about what your concerns are?

I was looking to knock around ideas. I dont ussualy see divers in doubles in the Laguna area but I assumed that was based on what beaches I ussualy dive. Leabre showed me I was right. I guess I was just trying to look for any logistics I may have missed.

I will be picking up a set of double 100's in the next month or so... so was working on getting my ducks in a row. Plus I know once I have Essentials of Tech out of the way from UTD Im sure I will have plenty of others to dive doubles with.

We shore dive doubles frequently in San Diego at LJ Cove & Shores. Though, I'll admit I won't do it now that I've switched to CCR. SO much lighter than hauling twinned HP120s (and I don't have to surface swim out to conserve gas)! Not sure about Laguna, but if you're ever down this way let us know.

I will say that I generally find diving from shore with doubles to be enjoyable until you start adding bottles. Our sites allow for long and shallow traverses so you can comfortably just decompress on back gas and not drag around a deco gas. YMMV

It's simple as that!

I guarantee that you'll wake up in a dumpster somewhere someday lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom