Dauin/Apo Island report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got to do some diving in the Philippines again in the first weeks of April. My family and I stayed at Mike's Dauin Beach Resort and we had a wonderful time. I did a more detailed report on the resort at Trip Advisor here:
Mike's Dauin Beach Resort (Dauin, Philippines) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

The only thing I will re-iterate here about Mike's is the dive shop and service itself. Wow. Excellent all the way around. His staff is amazing and his boat is one of the nicest I have gotten to dive from in the Philippines. The DMs were very knowledgeable and knew exactly where to look to find the interesting things that make muck diving fun. Very easy going and laid back atmosphere all the way around. Mike has really built something special at Dauin.
Onto the diving. Dauin has some very interesting sites. Loads of macro stuff to keep photogs busy. They also have an underwater natural hot spring that was a first for me. Strange to say the least. Leading into the hot springs was an awesome drift dive that includes a resident school of 15 or so 3+ foot well fed barracuda. There is also a marine sanctuary off the coast of Dauin that houses some of the largest schools of fish I have seen. It seems like the area is well protected and taken care of, and I hope that it continues in the future.
I got to do two days of diving at Apo Island. The first day we stayed in the relatively sheltered side of the small island. It is home to an amazing array of soft and hard coral and lots of turtles. It is just post card scene after post card scene at the Island. The second day we did the more extreme "ends" of the island starting I believe at Coconut beach. We dropped into a steady current finally finding shelter behind a large coral head. We were treated to a large school of Jacks surfing the current looking for a meal. What an outstanding dive. In the afternoon we did the opposite end of the Island starting at Rock east and moving to Rock west. Here the typhoon damage was very evident. Dropping in you can see the devastation from the beach down to as far as you could see. The coral is completely broken. But there were some good signs. There was a massive school of large black unicorn fish feeding there as well as large schools of fusiliers. Hopefully all is not lost.
Over all I had a great time in Dauin and at Apo Island. I liked the diving a little bit better in PG, but the overall vibe in Dauin was much more suited to my lifestyle. There was more for my wife and kids to do and Mike and his family made us feel right at home. Plus I got to hang out with some really great divers that were hanging out at Mike's.
We will definitely be making a return trip to Dauin sometime in the future.

Nice review, I am planing to do my first dive trip to the Philippines in Nov. I have about 5 days to dive and then I will be heading to Boracay to take kitesurfing lessons. I have done my research and now I'm trying to decide between Apo Island or PG for diving. I will be bringing my camera rig and hope to get some great images. I don't have a macro lens at the moment I only shoot wide angle. I was leaning more towards Apo island with the large schools of fish, corals, and turtles for wide angle photography. From what I read PG is great for small critters and macro photography. What did you enjoy more about the diving in PG vs Apo?

Thanks for sharing your review! My impression of Apo Island when I first dove it is the same as yours. Fantastic! I have never seen a healthy bed of soft and hard corals.

Nice review, I am planing to do my first dive trip to the Philippines in Nov. I have about 5 days to dive and then I will be heading to Boracay to take kitesurfing lessons. I have done my research and now I'm trying to decide between Apo Island or PG for diving. I will be bringing my camera rig and hope to get some great images. I don't have a macro lens at the moment I only shoot wide angle. I was leaning more towards Apo island with the large schools of fish, corals, and turtles for wide angle photography. From what I read PG is great for small critters and macro photography. What did you enjoy more about the diving in PG vs Apo?

I would suggest Apo for wide angle because of excellent visibility.

Thanks for sharing your review! My impression of Apo Island when I first dove it is the same as yours. Fantastic! I have never seen a healthy bed of soft and hard corals.

Chicago's Shedd Aquarium - Wild Reef exhibit used Apo Island as a model. I haven't seen it but I don't care because I've dived the real Apo Island on 5 occasions - 3 while staying on the Isand (recommended - always better dives when staying on the island than visiting by boat). I would recommend getting a macro lense too - but I have a p&s camera and wet lenses I can quickly put on when needed.

Chicago's Shedd Aquarium - Wild Reef exhibit used Apo Island as a model. I haven't seen it but I don't care because I've dived the real Apo Island on 5 occasions - 3 while staying on the Isand (recommended - always better dives when staying on the island than visiting by boat). I would recommend getting a macro lense too - but I have a p&s camera and wet lenses I can quickly put on when needed.

I've seen it (Wild Reef) and it is impressive. I still wonder how they tranported the corals though, from Apo Island to Chicago, and kept them alive throughout the journey. Maybe it was being explained during the tour but I was too excited to see the coral exhibit and missed hearing out on the info.

On Apo Island dive sites, my fave are Coconut point (express), Mamsa and Chapel. The last one for turtles and giant groupers.

Back
Top Bottom