Dry suit - if money was no object!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would definitely go with a Viking or a Ursuit. DUI quality has really gone down hill in the last ten years. We work with hundreds of divers all over the country and we see more leaks in new DUI suits than in any other suit. My favorite suit is the Ursuit HLC RedQ for comfort, strength and features. We have several demo suits that are abused by students testing them and it is amazing how they hold up. You can literally wipe barnacles off pilings with your forearms and not get a scratch on the suit. The reflecting tape on the suit really lights up at night, even when a small flashlight is the light source. The optiojnal neoprene hood is designed for a full mask so it is also excellent for standard face masks. The boots are hard soled with 4 mm of neoprene so you do not need booties to stay warm even during ice diving. We use the suits during underwater vehicle extrication courses and in dirty water with garbage-covered bottoms and cleaning has not been an issue. The valves are all Si-Tech made. Viking now has some very excellent suits as well, including a stretchy suit that is also exceedingly comfortable. I can provide you info on that suit as well if you like.
Safe diving always,
Andrea

I myself use a fusion also had a custom seatux compressed neoprene. I love and now only own the former and loathed the latter. Bulky and heavy and you have no choice of insulation you get what you get if its too hot well its too hot too cold well you can add more. With the fusion and other bi/trilams what you wear determines the heat retention properties. The replaceable seals are gear for if/when a seal get damaged you can literally replace the seal in 5min. another thing is you can use the suit with 2 different boots the evo rock boots or the fusion boot. the former is your typical rockboot great for shore dives where you might be hoofing it around (ie the break water in Victoria great diving off it loath the walk though in full gear 1km in full gear off the end) or using the evo's for a hop in off the boat. Also if a cuff or seal doesn't fit you can just change sizes on the fly like replacing a seal it makes life much easier.

If you are choosing between Whites Fusion and DUI perhaps this article could be helpful.

I have used my Fusion Tech with the Whites Thermal Fusion undergarment down to 90 ft / 46F and stayed reasonably warm all the time, even though my arms usually feel cooler then the rest of my body. Thermal Fusion is a great undergarment. Donning and doffing is not such a problem, but I haven't tried other drysuits, can't compare. It is not really a self-donning suit. You can do it if you try harder but I preffer to ask my buddy to pull the zippers to the dock. Un-zipping is not a problem. Underwater the Fusion it's definitely more flexible than my 7+7 wetsuit and I don't need more weight. It really keeps the gas evenly distributed. I have never had a trapped bubble or floating feet problem even with pretty light fins. I am also delighted how comfortable it is between the dives - just like wearing a jogging suit. If you buy, watch out for indented socks.

DUI CLX450 here. with p-valve & crotch clover patch.

I like the 450 because I would have ripped through a trilam and now just have scared couruda on the 450. I also like the p-valve and that could be an issue in the fusion as its a stretchy thing and I believe patching the stretchy material is an issue. In the 450 I dont worry about the suit or sharp objects, I've ripped an underarm seam while sidemounting (they are flat felled and sealed) but it still never leaked. The only people I know who get leaks are people that don't zip all the way by accident, or have an issue with the seals, or manage to rip through the material.

When money allows I also would like to get another DUI..cave cut CLX450 and just wear the 4th element halo for underwear. Right now I'm using a larger cut for thick underwear.

My next suit:
CLX450 custom fit cave cut, p-valve, clover leaf crotch patch, pockets, drygloves.

Underwear is just/more as important as the suit:
I personally would ditch the DUI underwear and use the 4th element halo, and add 4th element base layers when you are down in 40deg or less. The 4th element is a lot less puffy than the DUI but works just a well or better IMO. Likely $4500 to get suited out, but you can repair it, and wear it all day and be comfortable.

P-valves in Fusions are not an issue at all. The laminate material tolerates the valve just fine, and if you do a nice job on the hole in the skin, it won't ravel or expand at all.

Only one person suggested the Waterproof D1? I have herd a lot of good things and no negatives as of yet.

I own and dive a Bare SB drysuit (have 20-30 dives on it now, owned it for about 9 months). I have tried DUI drysuits at two DUI Demo days. I am 100% satisfied with my Bare SB Drysuit. I can freaking do yoga poses in it and I can don my own suit with the zipper. On top of that the plastic zipper is so much easier to use. It also packs up very small.

There's really just one main flaw, the placement of the shoulder dump makes it hard to dump air easily; I have to put my arm at a funny angle. In my opinion the minor downsides are that it does not dry as fast as tri-lam, my undergarments get more wet from sweat than DUI (but thats really not a big deal), and the single zipper means you have to be more sensitive about sand.

Yes, it's expensive, but if it's a one time purchase I'd say it's worth it. I wish you could test dive all these suits so you could feel the difference yourself, but that's the biggest problem with scuba gear. I got mine on a huge sale from LeisurePro, it's doubtful that price will be available again as local dive shops complained. Don't forget warmth comes from the undergarments, not the suit. Check out 4th element if you can afford it or get rondel's (spelling?) on ebay if money's tight -- they're not great but you can dive.

If money were no object I'd fly to High Springs, have Doug Mudry measure for a custom sized suit and purchase a DUI FLX Extreme.

I will tell you what I would stay away from:

I was certified in Whites Fusion and hated it! Wrinkly suit with skin on top of skin causing all the folds to press into you! I absolutely hated the experience and am not getting into whites ever again. Slightly looser drysuits feel better on me and also allow me to create a better air pocket if necessary. I have a USIA bi lam suit which I got for 600 bucks new and it has kept me dry. I would look for neoprene suit with some thermal properties that would enable me to cut out some heavy undergarments. For this I would look into Scubapro's neoprene model or entry level seasoft. Of all the high and fancy suits it is these 2 that would hold my attention. Bare also has a compressed neoprene but I am not sure if it is being continued.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom