Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok that i have lost any credibility with you brakes my heart :cool2: .But i guess my point was not made well - it was simply that any OW class needs at least 2 dive professionals, it puzzles me that people are feeling strongly against it... but every one can have an opinion including me . For example you are a boat captain right ?! I really don't know , but i will be surprised if you don't have a simple regulation of a sort - when taking your boat out with clients a captain and some kind of a vice captain (i am sorry but i really dont know what the spare captain is called ,it is not that i am trying to be original or something )needs to be present. It does not mater if it is 1 or 2 or 32 clients on board .Correct me if I am wrong .
And by the way mr Lapenta send me a pm and explained well his position on the mater and invited me to his classes to observe them if i will ,this was nice of him and I may take him up on it :)

He is the mate, and it's a Coast Guard regulation to have one on a voyage longer than 12 hours. Non-US based liveaboards don't have one, and they are fine. And I have no beef with your assertion that an OW class needs a CA. My offense was your attitude towards Jim.

Was there ever a definitive report issued from the authorities or PADI on the cause(s) of this accident, which occurred more than two months ago?

I just read through many pages of bickering but maybe not enough to find the reality of the situation.

Thanks,

Bill

Not that I have seen. I called PADI and asked and they said they don't release details - or at least the person who answered the phone did.

The shop is now advertising SDI classes so they may not be interested in contesting PADI's determination and we may not find anything out.

Not that I have seen. I called PADI and asked and they said they don't release details - or at least the person who answered the phone did.

The shop is now advertising SDI classes so they may not be interested in contesting PADI's determination and we may not find anything out.

Brings up an interesting question. Do the angencies share critical information? Does expulsion from one affect the status of an instructor and/or shop in the other?

I have always wondered what, if any, legal actions were taken by the husband and any possible outcome to such action.

No one has posted in this thread for 10 months and now there are these posts that have nothing to do with the incident. If you want, I can split out most of the posts from today and move it to another thread.

There have been rumors flying about but the only facts I know is that someone died, the instructor was expelled from PADI and the shop is no longer a PADI shop.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I don't know what happened but I tried to move most of the posts from today and it crashed my firefox session. I'm sorry, I think the posts are gone.

Last edited:
For Your Information:

Splash Dive Center - (Alexandria, Northern Virginia) Welcome

Splash Dive Center ceased operations September 14th 2013, after nearly two decades in Alexandria, VA.

Tim Cavanaugh has re-opened the store as

Blue Octopus Scuba

Phone: (703) 823-7680 | 4154 DUKE STREET, ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA 22304 | Fax: (703) 823-4812

I wonder if they just couldn't recover from all the publicity after the accident along with any potential lawsuits.

It would not surprise me. Some bad stuff went down and more than the victim got hurt pretty deeply. And I'm not talking physically. I was working with one of them to try and help deal with what happened. I have not heard from them for a good while. As with most of the essays and articles I produce that are inspired by an event, this one is the one that resulted in my PTSD in Recreational Dive Rescues article.

Back
Top Bottom