5 cruise stops, need to pick one for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malpaso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a cruise this summer, and the likely choice at this point stops in St Thomas, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts and St Maarten. Because I'm the only diver in the group, I'm only going to dive once. Which is the best stop to dive, and what center should I go through there?

I don't know about Barbados at all, but have dove at the other four islands. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go St. Kitts, as there will be fewer people around, and the diving is very good (I dove it from a liveaboard. ) The cruise ship may have a relationship with a local dive shop. If not, check out divestkitts.com.
DivemasterDennis

I would vote for St. kitts also. i dove with Prodiversstkitts. The owner's name was Ashton. I dove there in December of 2010. We dove a no-name reef that he dives alot but nobody else does. the reef was a bit deep (for some), but was in pristine condition. The visibility was excellent also.

I have dove all the others except St. Marrten, but I prefer St. Kitts or St. thomas out of the choices.

It has been my experience on cruise ships that if they dont offer diving you may be in the wrong place at the wrong time. We would get off too late for the morning dives and leave too early for the afternoon dives. On two occasions I saw people running down the pier as we were pulling away. When we were in St. Thomas there was a dive shop right across the street from the cruise ship better plan ahead, good luck.

I would go with St. Lucia, and be sure to dive at the Pitons. Don't use the cruise ship's excursion. Look up Papa Irving on the web. He has a booth at the cruise terminal and he's awesome!

Jokes aside, I'd suggest St Lucia. However, I'd really suggest walking a block away from the cruise ship, catching a cab to a dive shop relatively not close to the ship, and explaining that you have to be back to the ship by (whatever time). Also, I'd suggest not necessarily planning an island just based off which one is prettiest, but which one will give you the best dive op. Maybe a dive shop is located right by the beach your family/friends plan on chilling at on that shop. Maybe that happens to be on the island where you have the longest amount of time on the island. That could mean 3 dives!

What is "their" purpose on going on that cruise? My family goes to sit on white beaches and swim in blue water. My friends go to get drunk on white beaches and look at blue water. Other friends go to look at the tropical, mountainous scenery. I go to walk over white beaches to go into blue water to look at fishies in it. What they're there for also changes what your most convenient dive spot is. I also have to say, everywhere you're talking about is GORGEOUS....you'll be happy at any of them. I say dive your most convenient location.

St. Kitts and St. Thomas.

But I am selfish. I would dive on every island and leave my friends and family on the ship.

Watch your departure and arrival times on the dive. Give yourself plenty of time to re-board.

Have a great time!

If you want to try St. Thomas, Admiralty Dive will pick you up at the cruise port. Blue Island Divers will pick you up off the cruise dock with their boat. Both work with cruise schedules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom