Rescue diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that any technical (GUE fundamentals or cave) should be taken AFTER the Stress&Rescue certification.

I would agree about technical training, but GUE Fundamentals taken in a single tank is not technical training, and could quite reasonably fit into someone's development ahead of Rescue. There are some rescue skills taught in that class, as well.

+1 on all the positive reasons for taking the Rescue, go for it.

For me personally, it improved my water skills above as well as below sea level, made me more confident in dealing with situations in and out of the water way back in 1993. Additionally I had a great instructor and two mental divemasters who did their best to drown me at any opportunity.

I was very happy when my daughter decided to do this course last summer, it has certainly made her much more aware!

I took the course and got a lot out of it. Although I would still leave actual emergency decisions and execution to the DM on any group dive, it is nice to know I could be of assistance if needed... and even more so when a buddy and I are the only ones in sight.

But what I really got from it is that it added confidence and discipline to my diving skills in general. We learned to be the first on the boat to have our gear organized and ready to go in the water. We learned the importance of clear and concise communication underwater and how to recognize confusion and/or stress in another diver. Finally, I myself had been struggling with random moments of anxiety at depth -- just that weird realization that "hey, I'm underwater and I could die down here" that can turn a fun dive into a stressful one -- and this pretty much went away when I took the course.

Now when I travel to dive and find myself with a group of vacation divers and an overtasked DM/instructor/guide, I am able to help less experienced divers and give them guidance and assistance both on the boat and in the water. This happened recently on a trip in Costa Rica where one new diver required ALL of our DM's attention and I found myself helping the rest of the group with a number of issues.

I don't know if this is the right forum, but I don't see a general training forum here. I'm considering the PADI rescue diver course but I don't know much about what the training involves. The combine EFR and Rescue course is not cheap and I'd like to know if others have found it to be a worthwhile addition to training. While I've enjoyed the specialty and advanced courses I've done, I haven't seen them as really advancing my skills. Is the PADI Rescue Diver course similar? I'm mainly looking for an at least moderately intense course that focuses on dealing with emergencies (particularly self rescue). Do others generally feel much better prepared to deal with an emergency after?

Hi Brian,
it appears as though you have specific expectations of the course "I'm mainly looking for an at least moderately intense course that focuses on dealing with emergencies (particularly self rescue)." Make sure you articulate those to a couple of dive shops before you make a decision on where to take it, also discuss with the potential Instructor what your expectations are.

Concerning a combo EFR Rescue course, if you can get an in-expensive American Red Cross CPR/FA course you may want to seperate the EFR from the Rescue (if that is what your budget allows)..

The rescue course was probably the single most confidence inspiring course that I took coming up through my initial training. My wife had a very different experience. It's really important to interview the instructor you'd potentially train with to ensure that what they plan to cover will go into detail on the standard course material but also a solid basis in self rescue and prevention. PADI's rescue course has more to do with how to get a hurt or unconscious diver out of the water so that you can start first aid. That's important, but there's a lot that goes into prevention like planning and general awareness. My rescue course had a lot of self rescue and equipment dissection so that I could understand problems in the water and potentially attempt to remedy them (just as an example). It can be a terrific experience if it's done well and you take it seriously.

I agree with everyone advocating for the Rescue Course. My wife and I dive some on our own from our own boat and so we took the PADI course for self-preservation, but it was incredibly empowering. Honestly, in retrospect, I can't believe that with just the OW we were qualified to dive on our own (and I'm sure the PADI-bashers have some thoughts on that); the Rescue course was where we turned the corner and felt we were actually qualified. Anyway, I think everyone should take it.

. . .
Honestly, in retrospect, I can't believe that with just the OW we were qualified to dive on our own (and I'm sure the PADI-bashers have some thoughts on that); the Rescue course was where we turned the corner and felt we were actually qualified.

I'm not a PADI-basher by any means, but that is EXACTLY what I said in my reply above. After the OW course, and even AOW, I felt confident enough to do NOTHING without a divemaster with me. Rescue taught me some basic competence so I at least felt I could take care of myself to some extent if not help others in need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom