Where to dive and stay in Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenni7a

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a relatively a new diver. I have been to Turks and Grand Cayman so far. I really loved the diving in Grand Cayman, mostly the the sea turtles and the swim throughs. My parents are also new divers and will be coming as well. I am trying to plan a family trip that includes diving, relaxing, and good family fun. I have been looking at Turneff Island and it seems pretty pricey. I have also looked at some houses to rent in Ambergis Cay. My Dad has looked into trying the diving out in St. Croix. Does anyone have any suggestions on any of the above/or experience diving/staying at these places?
This is my first time planning a diving trip so any suggestions would be very appreciated!
Thanks,
Jenni

Turneffe is the ticket.

Turneffe is the ticket.
Sure - if you happen to be arriving and leaving on a Saturday, or want to spend an extra $700 for the privilege of arriving & leaving on a different day.

I was prepared to drop my $4500 or so until I found that out.

You can always consider Placencia where you will have great diving, lots of choices about where to stay and great options close by for things to do.
Regards
Ralph

You can always consider Placencia where you will have great diving, lots of choices about where to stay and great options close by for things to do.
Thanks. Investigating the options there is next on my to-do list. I've given up on my previous possibilities. Placencia is my last hope - we'll see if I can find something suitable :)

My family, all divers, went for the Belize Aggressor. Relaxing, great food, minimal wardrobe (bathing suits and t-shirt), boat ride (with clean, handy bathrooms) to new dive site is done at night or while eating, up to 5 dives a day (for the driven), bugs are on the islands and not the boat, and other reasons. Not such a good choice if non-divers are coming along.

The diving in Belize is very easy: warm water, good visibility and low currents so it's great for new divers.

Belize is a small country but it's still a big place and there are tons of options.

Most divers elect to go to Ambergris Caye as there is a wide range of options there in terms of places to stay, dive ops and nightlife.

The three resorts on the Turneffe Atoll, Turneffe Island Resort, Turneffe Flats and Blackbird Caye, offer more of a tropical island experience with no tvs, car or telephones. All three are inclusive with transportation to and from, meals and diving included. I've stayed at TIR twice and loved every minute of it.

Placencia, which has become my favorite, is further south. Although not on the scale of AC, it also offers a fair range of options and enjoys easy access to a ton of mainland adventures.

You might want to checkout the threads on this board for ideas since there are a lot of reviews here.

Jenni - reading your original post it seems you might be a candidate for Tranquility Bay, at the northern end of Ambergris Caye. A small, quiet and peaceful resort where what you want to do and the diving you want to do is largely tailored to your wishes. It has superb diving with almost no-one else around.

Thanks Peterbj7 ! I will definitely look into it! Sounds like you have been to Belize before can you tell me anything about Pica Pica? I have been reading some pretty nasty things about it and am worried it will ruin our trip. We are planning on going in Early April or Early May.
Thanks Again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom