Buoyancy Question with Whites Fusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouvea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi Guys:

I sold the heavy-duty tri-laminate that I previously owned and swich to the Whites Fusion. Should I expect to use more or an equal amount of weight with the Whites Fusion than with my old Tri-Lam Pinnacle Evolution? There's nothing worse than not being able to descend easily and kicking down to the bottom (not the safest of practices as well). Also, as far as trim and air shift management, will it be the same?

Thanks,
Claude

Claude,
My wife has the Fusion(and loves it). We have found that she needs pretty much the same amount of lead for her Fusion as she does with a trilam if all insulating layers underneath are the same. If the old trilam has more inherent positive buoyancy than the Fusion, it doesn't seem to be much. You will need to experiment a bit to see if that holds true for you too.:)

I tried the Fusion Bullet for a weekend and with the same underwear my weighting was identical to a Bare Trilam HD.

Yeah from my experiance I need about the same weight.

I needed a few pounds less (2-4) than with my trilam. There is less excess room in the fusion because the skin keeps it taut, hence less excess air. YMMV, depending in part on how closely your trilam suit fit.

Sorry for pulling up an old thread, but I'm diving Whites (my specific request) for the first time tomorrow with a Padi dry instructor. Does the Whites respond better to minimal air inflation and BCD used for the primary buoyancy, or does it like being the primary ala "the Padi Dry Suit buoyancy" method?

Any tips with this specific suit (Fusion etal) are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I've always dived my fusion with minimal inflation (just enough for warmth and freedom of movement) and used the bcd for primary buoyancy. Most fusion divers I know do the same.
Good luck with your dive.

I've always dived my fusion with minimal inflation (just enough for warmth and freedom of movement) and used the bcd for primary buoyancy. Most fusion divers I know do the same.
Good luck with your dive.

Excellent! That's what I thought but this will help cement my discussions with him. He's a Whites hater, but I know he's never dove one. He's a bit of a DUI snob and insists you dive the suit PADI style. But he's a good guy and I can work with him.

You can dive a Fusion either way. When I cave dive, I use my BC primarily; when I dive in Puget Sound, I put as much air in the suit as I can, to maximize warmth. The Fusion is no different from any other laminate suit in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom