Pros and Cons of Rigid D-Ring on Hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, guys -- I'd like to politely remind you that the OP put this post in the DIR forum, which specifically states that you will get DIR answers. We all know there are lots of answers to any question anyone can ask; this restricted forum is for the DIR take on the topics. You're welcome to PM the OP with your opinions, but please do not post them here.

Yeah, we need more of these and some firmer action. The forum layout is clear, yet too often non-DIR answers are presented.

If you have to wiggle into a DIR rig, your straps are too tight.

Thanks Brian. "wiggle" was not the right word. It is the initial 'snaking' or 'sneaking' into the harness that is the challenge, especially if the gear rests on something that is too low for me (6'6") and/or heaves in the seas. Part of the complication is of course the drysuit (rings and dump) but maybe I should not have both regulators and the light head hanging from the right chest ring while donning. That occasionally creates an insane mess with the hoses and cable getting in the way. Any suggestions or even pix?

(I am possibly expecting too much as I compare the whole act of donning the DIR gear with how I get even the heaviest backpack where it belongs. The latter is one fluid motion that was, of course, practiced a couple hundred times)

Thanks Brian. "wiggle" was not the right word. It is the initial 'snaking' or 'sneaking' into the harness that is the challenge, especially if the gear rests on something that is too low for me (6'6") and/or heaves in the seas. Part of the complication is of course the drysuit (rings and dump) but maybe I should not have both regulators and the light head hanging from the right chest ring while donning. That occasionally creates an insane mess with the hoses and cable getting in the way. Any suggestions or even pix?

(I am possibly expecting too much as I compare the whole act of donning the DIR gear with how I get even the heaviest backpack where it belongs. The latter is one fluid motion that was, of course, practiced a couple hundred times)

Hi,

You answered your own question in your last statement "...practised a couple hundred times".....:)

Best,

Guy

The set up on the boat I used this week made it harder to don my harness. The tank was too low and the webbing grabs every thing it touches.

I raised the tank on a cushion and I found that unhooking the reg and lamp from the left D ring helped a bit, there is always the risk of having them fall on the deck though.

A reference for our discussion of bolt snap sizes:

Bolt-Snap-Sizes.jpg

The numbers at the top is the length of the the bolt snap part. The numbers below each swivel bolt snap is the size of the ring or loop and refers to the inside width of the loop.

I use the 1" bolt snap for my SPG and can indeed fit my ring finger through the loop wearing dry gloves and liners.

I recently switched to the 3/8" #00 for my primary reg and all lights and like it a lot. No problem clipping/unclipping and the smaller snap makes it a very easy reach to the gate.

Henrik

I pretend to be a DIR diver... Mostly dive in cold water and dry gloves. After few year of diving in DIR configuration, I've decided to change my left hip D-ring with a rigid, 45-degree bent one - that made clipping SPG and deco stages much easier.

I pretend to be a DIR diver... Mostly dive in cold water and dry gloves. After few year of diving in DIR configuration, I've decided to change my left hip D-ring with a rigid, 45-degree bent one - that made clipping SPG and deco stages much easier.
Nothing like getting gear to compensate for a skill issue.

:popcorn: After years and years we still have the same type of posts: "Oh, I can't do that but my advice is change this and that and you'll be OK". My advice is as same as always: "Hit some water and practice a little bit."

Diving 37-50f water all year around in dry gloves. No issues with clipping tge Spg off. It took some time to learn though. First time it took me 10 mins to clip the damn thing. Now i often have 3 snaps on the ring: liftfag leash, stage and SPG, going in this exact order from bottom to the top. It was hard before to clip just SPG. Now If I have only the SPG its just a piece of cake. With 2+ snaps it takes a bit of time to arrange the existing snaps. I have not got to the point of having 2 stages plus a bottles leash yet but it will be the next step once this one is nailed down.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom