PADI lacking Solo Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some differences:
- SDI has a student manual. PADI does not. (PADI has more "lecture".)
- SDI requires students be 21. PADI accepts 18-year-olds.
- SDI requires two dives. PADI requires three.
- PADI requires redundant depth/time devices, redundant signaling devices, a cutting tool, and slate. SDI discusses these academically, but does not list them as required equipment. They were required for my certification dives, including a pony.
- PADI requires a 2-minute, 60 foot underwater scuba swim without mask. SDI does not require mask replacement at all. < But at least one SDI instructor (mine) does. > I had to do a mask swap on every dive.
- PADI requires SAC be determined in the water. SDI allows it to be determined out of the water.
- PADI requires navigating to within certain limits. SDI simply requires proficiency.

The biggest difference may just be the name.

Interesting -- your conclusions differ from how my course was taught.

Interesting -- your conclusions differ from how my course was taught.
I should have been more clear that the differences noted are in the written requirements.
Apparently SDI instructors routinely add requirements beyond what is written. At least three cases, yours, mine, and the experience of a poster in another thread who was required to have a redundant buoyancy device.

Reactions: Jax
I have been diving "solo" since my daughter began diving at age 14. I took her class as a "refresher" for me as well as knowing what she learned. The class was a BASIC class (good information but didn't really go over all the things that could go wrong). My "assumption" is to get folks exposed to scuba though far from what I learned in 1980 (NAUI). My daughter was no where near mature enough to be able to truly comprehend all the topics I was taught (come to think of it, neither was I at age 17). When we dive, I prepare myself "solo" and keep solid watch on her (good thing since she has drifted deeper than originally planned on a wall dive - too caught up in the beauty).

Now, she is 20 and a college-student. She just now understands the concept of depth/pressure/volume. We go to the pool and work basic skills and some new ones (including deploying SMB, buddy-breathing - this was not covered in her basic class). But I can see her maturing as a person and as a diver. I have encouraged her to take the various specialty classes as this seems to be way things (the market) are going.

In the pool, I give her different problems to solve (underwater) but we ALWAYS do a pre-dive safety check. Even to the point on one dive several years ago, the DM commented wasn't needed since we were going to be in clear water ~ 25'. My comment to her was to disregard the DM - ALWAYS do a pre-dive SAFETY CHECK (she does hers, i do mine, then we do each others). Overboard?? maybe but rather spend a few more minutes upfront to give lowest chance of mechanical problem.

Anyway, looking forward to this summer of having a "buddy" as she continues to mature and learn.

Last edited:
I have done a fair amount of solo diving (with no specialty course), but much more diving with a buddy, somewhat less in groups. I love diving in a group of 2 to 4 people. While on occasion a solo dive has a purpose, and if you are going to do it, be prepared with reduant equipment, notification to someone where you will be and what you will be doing, and all the other good stuff that PADI teaches or that you as a dvier should just "know." Solo diving is a bit of a questionable activity to my 58 year old mind. When I did it, it was because my buddy was congested, or I was retrieving a dropped piece of equipment, or I was trying out a new piece of equipment. In each instance, even with a surfcae person nearby, I was self limiting- the dives were short, I was distracted by constant self-checking, and I came to prefer diving with 1 or 2 others. Before you do a solo dive, even if "trained" to do it, ask youself why you are doing it. If there is a focused reason or necessity, I get it. But if it a macho thing, it is unwise. To each his own, I suppose. Let's just be safe out there, my buddies.
DiveMasterDennis

DivemasterD-- Agree completely. In my case it is a matter of just being too far from the majority of area divers to do a lot of diving with them. Even so, I know the sites and limit depth to 30', tell my wife where I am, and phone after both dives are done. Of course, if something ever happened she couldn't do anything, unless it was something on the surface like a current that took me away.

I don't know why you need a course to dive solo. Just strap on a pony tank and off you go.

Adam

... because a pony bottle won't help you resolve all the issues that can get you in trouble while diving solo ... nor will it help you even become aware of what those issues might be.

Solo diving's more about your mental approach to diving than it is the equipment you take with you. If you're careless enough about your personal safety to think that all you need is a pony bottle, that tells me you're most likely not a good candidate for solo diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD has it about right. Solo diving, IMO, is more about mind set than equipment. When you feel comfortable in the water, have your equipment dialed in, know the dive site and conditions, you might be ready for a dive solo.

I much prefer to dive solo, for the peace and quiet mostly. I know some people like their "teams" and drills and all that-just not for me.

Again, solo is not to be taken lightly. It is undertaken with way more than "just strap on a pony tank and off you go."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom