Media luna trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cajuncru Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK here goes from my perspective. We arrived on the noon flight and transportation for our party was waiting and ready when we checked through immigration and baggage claim. Media Luna staff showed their "stuff" right off the bat as they did not hesitate to make a stop at the store in the Mega Mall for us to stock up on "snacks" for the little ones in our party. After working your way along an "interesting" drive off the main highway with sheer drop offs you see a breathtaking view of Parrot Tree Resort and then Half Moon Bay and Media Luna resort comes into view. Driving onto the grounds of Media Luna you begin to appreciate the beauty and serenity of the resort. Arrival at the resort is handled efficiently and the registration process is well organized. Since we were arriving the day before Easter, the busiest week of the year for Roatan, it was a short wait until the rooms were prepared, but that just gave us a chance to explore our surroundings. All development on the island comes at a price when it comes to the environment, but what impressed me was the real effort Media Luna has made to minimize that footprint. The beauty of the place is that it really does blend into the surroundings. Another thing that impressed me was the willingness of management to listen to the guest and their comments and try to accommodate them. First thing we noticed was that due to eco concerns only one small plastic water bottle per person was placed in each room, and there were several fill stations throughout the resort to replenish your water. When we discussed the fact this presented a problem for divers because we drank lots of water to stay hydrated, they relaxed this standard and gave us more water bottles. Also lots of folks are early risers and like to explore with coffee in hand. First day coffee wasn't available until the restaurant opened at 7:00am, but management again listened, and the next day and thereafter coffee was available in the lobby by 5:30. The staff abounds with helpful, happy, friendly smiling faces everywhere and the facility itself is spectacular. Individual cottages, three swimming pools, an amphitheater dining room with a gorgeous view over Half Moon Bay, a sandy beach to swim or kayak from, four huge decks each with a stunning view of the bay----but how about what we all go to Roatan for---the Diving.
Honestly, currently Media Luna in my opinion,for what it is worth, is a resort that offers diving and is not at this time what we on Scubaboard consider a diving resort. I say that with the caveat that it is newly opened resort and I understand that plans are in the works and new improvements are being made that will expand their dive shop operations. Aqua Adventures, which operates out of Media Luna, gave us nothing but first rate service and they offered dive sites during the week from Mary's Place to Calvin's Crack and all places in between like Ankas Place, Forty Foot Point, Missing Link, Carib Point, Parrot Tree Wall, etc, etc, etc. Unlimited shore diving is available, and while not matching the convenience of FI or CoCo shore diving, it is only a short swim (through shallow 6-7ft deep water) to Half Moon Bay Wall which is alive with macro life. I tend to be a bit long winded, so I will close the post for now, but if you have any particular questions that I haven't addressed please feel free to ask and I will be happy to respond as best I can.
HAPPY DIVING.

Cajy, what is the normal daily dive schedule of the operation? :popcorn:

Cajy, what is the normal daily dive schedule of the operation? :popcorn:

First boat dive is at 9:00 am and is usually a two tank dive, with surface interval in one of the bights, etc. If going to site right next to resort sometimes comes back to resort for surface interval, usually back to the resort around 12:30 after the morning dives.
Next boat dive is at 2:30 and is a one tank afternoon dive...so three boat dives per day + unlimited shore diving.

Plus one boat night dive per week and unlimited shore night dives...

Thanks for the report, gals & guys.

Please tell us about the shore diving. Is it off-the-dock, or off-the-beach (or some combination)?

Also, any of the dreaded killer mutant monster biting sand flies?

Please tell us about the shore diving. Is it off-the-dock, or off-the-beach (or some combination)?
It is basically off the dock. About a couple hundred yards from the dock to the reef.

Also, any of the dreaded killer mutant monster biting sand flies?
YOU BET. Even though they fog twice each day, this is after all Roatan!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom