Help - need 7mm by next weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I gonna die if I wear 3mm gloves and 3mm low cut booties? :eyebrow: :dork2:
3mm gloves are probably going to be fine.
The 3mm low cut booties are going to leave your ankles exposed. Not good.

You listed a lot of wetsuits being sold by online dealers. That's a great way to get the best deal on price, but it won't necessarily guarantee that you'll have a suit that really fits by next weekend for your AOW dives. FWIW, Scubatoys and LeisurePro are generally pretty good about accepting returns.

Rent a wetsuit at your LDS if you need to. Who knows? The shop might have a rental suit that fits your body type well. Then you'll know exactly what to buy.

A thick neoprene hood is an acquired taste. Once again, fit matters. The fit of most hoods can be customized by trimming around the facial opening. If your melon is an odd size, you can opt to get a custom-made one.

I think I'm narrowing it down

Wetsuits:

Neo Sport X-Span 7mm Women's Jumpsuit Black/Light Blue

Womens Henderson Hyperstretch 7mm Wetsuit discounts on sale Henderson

Henderson Thermoprene 7mm Women's Jumpsuit (Back Zip)

Hoods: (choosing this is harder - not as many good choices)

Henderson 7/5mm Women's Titanium Hyperstretch Hooded Vest

Neo Sport X-Span 5/3mm Women's Hooded Vest Black

It would be nice to order both from the same place.

Am I gonna die if I wear 3mm gloves and 3mm low cut booties? :eyebrow: :dork2:

Yes, you will die if you wear 3mm low cut booties:shocked2: Seriously, you will have ankle/toe freeze. I dive 7mm boots everywhere even in 80 degree water. I like toasty feet.:D
Of the suits you listed the hyperstretch is only a 7/5. Not as much neoprene (warmth) in the legs and arms. I am diving the Thermoprene semidry and like it. As far as the hooded vest goes - a 7/5 will be warmer though it may not fit under your suit. The 5/3 is an ok choice too.

Well, I have some other 3mm booties that are taller, but they don't zip up around my fat calves very well even though they are the right size for my foot :shakehead: They end up feeling very tight - and they are still just 3mm.

Another question. If I buy a step-in vest/hood like this one

Bare 7mm Sport Women's Step-In Hooded Vest

would it make sense to buy it in the next larger size than the wetsuit, or will it fit over the top of the same size :confused:

I'm going to call Leisure Pro today I think. I hope they can help.

I'm also thinking that I like scuba diving, I really do. While I want most of my diving to be in the Caribbean I haven't won the lottery yet. I might as well just face the fact that I will need a 7mm sooner or later, so I might as well get a nice set-up sooner.

Hmmm, I guess I can't really order boots online today though, because my fins fit the 3mm boots I have and I am NOT getting new fins today. I suppose 5mm or 7mm booties would be too fat for my fins :confused:

edit: Well Crap!!!! Leisure Pro is apparently Jewish. I learned something new today. They have been closed for Passover since April 18 and will not reopen until April 27. OK, I'm calling Scubatoys now.

Last edited:
:shocked::shocked2::shocked::shocked2::shocked:

:dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar:

Leisurepro would have saved me a few dollars, but they are closed so they lost a customer. I just ordered a new wetsuit and hooded vest from Scubatoys. I did get a discount for being a Scubaboard member. :D

So much for keeping my wetsuit purchase under $300 (and the vest under $150). Gah!

Bare ELASTEK 7mm Womens Jumpsuit discounts on sale Bare

Womens 7mm Elastek Hooded Vest by Bare discounts on sale Bare

:dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar::dollar:

Another question. If I buy a step-in vest/hood like this one

Bare 7mm Sport Women's Step-In Hooded Vest

Hi Karen, I dive that same set and it's great, of course it's in the men's cut.:wink:

I see you have ordered already. The vest is cut to fit over the suit of the same size so get the same size for each item. I have the old Arctic version of that suit and it does well in Maine ocean water during the reasonable months. You'll be cozy in TX.

That cheek zipper may seem odd at first but it disappears and it's real nice to be able to open up immediately on exit.

Pete

Looks like the only difference might be the kneepads on the first one. Can't tell if the 2nd one has them from the picture, although I can't imagine a wetsuit that wouldn't have kneepads!

LOL. Yeah. Leisure Pro observes the big Jewish holidays. But they're generally a good store and the prices are unbeatable. (I'm lucky that I live in NYC so I don't have to pay shipping!)

I think you'll be fine in a 3mm gloves and boots. I've dove that in mid-50 temps in 3mm and have been fine.

I rented a Henderson Hyperstretch from an LDS last season and was very comfortable. Really easy to get off and on because it is super stretchy, and I've heard there's less shrinkage over time. But couldn't do the Hyperstretch hood/hooded vests: the seamed face opening is too small--it covered my mouth!

If you're going to go with a one-piece instead of a Farmer Jane, be mindful of the neck seals on the suit: if they're like a turtleneck style, wearing a hood/hooded vest might make it tight around the neck. I've always worn a Farmer Jane, which has the collar-style neck, with full hoods. But maybe I have a fat neck; dunno!

Oops just saw you bought. Did you end up buying the shortie one size bigger?

Last edited:
Oops just saw you bought. Did you end up buying the shortie one size bigger?

No, I got the same size (12+) in both. The guy at Scubatoys said it would be fine and I figure with the stretch factor, it should be OK. It's supposed to arrive no later than Friday so if something goes wrong and it either doesn't arrive, or doesn't fit, I still have Saturday to get a rental from my shop.

Now that I'm done spending my paycheck (or a good size chunk of it) I'm off to a BBQ.

Last edited:
Hi Karen, I dive that same set and it's great, of course it's in the men's cut.:wink:

I see you have ordered already. The vest is cut to fit over the suit of the same size so get the same size for each item. I have the old Arctic version of that suit and it does well in Maine ocean water during the reasonable months. You'll be cozy in TX.

That cheek zipper may seem odd at first but it disappears and it's real nice to be able to open up immediately on exit.

Pete

This was my last suit - Artic with the step in vest. I wish they still made the Artic - mine is worn out.
Tip to Karen - it is easier to get into it if you get the zipper started before you put it on. This will be very warm, but a good combo - as this step-in is a full 7mm, weighting will be bit more than in my comments in your weighting post. Do the pre-dive weighting check. Later, if you are divng locally a lot, you might want to get a hood to use with just the fullsuit when things warm up some.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom