One dive trip per day in the Keys: A.M or P.M?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

capt gary's advice is right on. today for example, winds 15-20kts this AM decreasing to 10-15kts this afternoon. marine wx is dynamic(currents and viz also factors), not only communicate with the local dive shops but do a little homework yourself by checking the local marine forecast on sites such as this,,,,,,

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/maps/Florida.shtml

conditions permitting why not get 4 dives in with am and pm trips!!!

reefman
key largo

I'd do both morning and afternoon.

There's nothing else to do there but sit on a beach and eat and drink and get fat which of course is counterproductive to safe diving practice.

It's been my experience down here in the Keys that weather can change for the best or worst anytime of the day.

Here's my online calendar where we record the conditions of each dive for May 2010.
Conch Republic Divers Reservation Calendar May 2010. From it you can get an idea of what the dive conditions were last year for morning verses afternoon dives.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on the weather as your dive date getting closer. You can certainly do this by watching our daily dive trip postings on Conch Republic Divers Reservation Calendar or contact the dive shop you're scheduled to dive with and get the dive conditions from them. They should be able to tell you what the weather pattern is looking like and if a morning or afternoon dive would have better diving conditions.

Hope you have a great time diving and if you have any other question that I might be able to answer, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

Thank you for your reply Capt. Gary. I actually booked my dives with you guys last week. I really don't know how flexible your schedule is and whether or not I would be able change a dive time on short notice due to conditions?

It sounds like the morning dives are the way to go, so I will probably call the shop and get those times adjusted. Thanks

I am a morning person. Also it tends to be flatter in the morning. So I do morning dives. As for seeing the sights on Key Largo, well there are some but not all that much.

capt gary's advice is right on. today for example, winds 15-20kts this AM decreasing to 10-15kts this afternoon. marine wx is dynamic(currents and viz also factors), not only communicate with the local dive shops but do a little homework yourself by checking the local marine forecast on sites such as this,,,,,,

NDBC - Florida and Eastern Gulf of Mexico Recent Marine Data

conditions permitting why not get 4 dives in with am and pm trips!!!

reefman
key largo

I would love to do 4 dives a day, but for now, $$$ is the limiting factor here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom