is an 8/7 wetsuit inappropriate for warmer water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know this may sound like a ridiculous question but I am new to diving and wanted to get some input.

I am recently certified and the environment I dive in ranges between 40 and 65 degrees. I selected the Aqualung solafx 8/7 full suit for this environment.

I will be going on vacation where the average water temperature is 75.

I only own the one wet suit and though I could rent one while at the resort, I prefer to use my own if possible. Will diving in the warmer temperatures be completely too warm while in the water, rendering the suit unbearable to the point of being unusable?

Personally, I'd probably still be relatively comfortable in an 8/7 in 75 degree water. Not everyone would be. Worst thing that happens is you take your suit and ask the shop to have one available for you to rent if yours is too warm. Or take yours and don't zip it up... that way you have warmth but also get some "cold" water in to regulate temps a bit more.

You will be fine.

Of course, personal tolerance of heat as well as cold is the issue. I dive the same set up as you at home and would not even consider taking it to a 75 water temp. place. I would possibly take my shortie, or more likely just my body suit for protection from scrapes, jellies, etc. Or just dive with a T shirt. Bringing that big thing would be a pain anyway.

I have a 3/2 I use for 75 degree water. A T shirt or skin would not be enough for me. I don't have that cold tolerant constitution that some folks who are snowbound much of the year have!

I've gotten kinda hot on the boat waiting to jump in when the air temps are warm. That may be a drawback with the 8/7.

As far as leaving it unzipped - most are back zip, so your BC or BP/W will be helping to obstruct the water flow. You can "regulate" temps better with a front zip, but they are harder to find. You may find you need to pull the neck open frequently to get cooler water in.

I have a Sol FX for So Cal. Used it in BC, Canada and would get a dry if up there all the time.
As for 75 degree water, a 3mm is plenty so I would rent while there as the 8/7 takes up a lot of room and weighs quite a bit.
Get Wet!

diving in 23/24 degree (C) water i could either wear my scubapro 5/7 and be snug or wear a rashie and get cold for the final 10-15min of the dive.

I opted most dives for the rashie. why? cause the 5/7 was such a pain in the ass to get in and out of compared to throwing on a rashie and my gear then jumping off the liveaboard. for me it'd be optimal for a 1/3 in 24 degree water.

you shouldn't be too "hot" in the 7/8, if you are perhaps don't do your zips up all the way.

are you flying? I'd be more concerned with weight/space if you were.

As most have said, you will be fine with it if it's what you are used to. I dive in warmer water than that and am currently using a 7 mil. It really depends on your tolerance. I would suggest that if you get too hot on a dive, rather than leave it unzipped, pull the neck seal open enough to let some water in to cool you down. 75 degree water will definitely cool a 98.7 degree body.

Have fun.

It will work ok. I don't think you will get hot in the water. On the boat waiting to get in however will probably be a different story.

Back
Top Bottom