Making a leak free pvc storage canister to attach to my back plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure, I would be glad to take pics and post them I plan to go to Home Depot after work to get the parts. I will take pics along the way.

I also plan to stain the entire thing with purple plumber. I think over time the white would look cruddy and the purple would tend to hide the dirt and blend in with the gear better.

If it works at shallow depths. I have some friends that do deeper diving in the 300 foot range. I will see if they will take it along for a swim to test it for me.

If Hallmac's suggestion works, waiting for the glue to dry should be the longest part of the process and it should be easy enough that anyone could make one in under 15 minutes. It would take longer to go to the store and purchase the parts than to make it.

I am hoping the single plug works by itself, but certainly the plug in the end with 2 groves & o rings with a cap in addition should work for sure.

I like things that are easy enough that anyone could make. I just rigged a hands free handle of sorts for one of my flash lights out of 1/4 bungee cord. I mostly use it to spot the fish hiding in the rocks at the lake, but I hate holding onto it.

USBB,

Good luck on this project, I think Halmac's idea sounds promising. I too would like to see pix of the finished product. Would you please include a shot of it monted to the BP?

Cheers,

Couv

Back from my parts run. I wanted the version of the all plastic plug that Home Depot had pictured. However when I got to the store (by the way the guy had no idea what I was looking for and told me they did not sell such a thing--I had taken the printout of it with me and implored him to check the number for stock. He reluctantly did and they had 22 in stock, but not like the picture on the website).

So off I went to Lowes. They had the same plug as Home Depot, but it was almost a buck less. Here is a link to a picture of it. It was $3.35 in the store.

OATEY 33401 Mechanical Test Plug, 2" Plastic Plug

The bolt looks like a shiny zinc coating to me and it has a warning that parts of it will cause cancer. I think if you eat the plug that something else will get you before the cancer even has a chance--just saying. I am going to see if I can locate a MSDS on it to see for what the bolt and wing nut are made out of. It has nice action and easily seals in the pipe. The wing nut is of sufficient size that you could manage it even with thick gloves on if the need arose.

I would think that looking at the design that it would actually work better being used backwards so to speak than the original design. When used in the original fashion pressure is trying to push the plug out of the tube. Used to plug the canister, pressure is pushing in on the plug. The plastic cap of the plug is the same size as the pipe. So if the water pressure did anything, it would push it against the pipe and the pipe would support it.

I am able to insert the plug so that it rests on the pipe end with no gap. I will assemble it tomorrow and take pics too.

OK, I didn't read every post here so someone may have already suggested it but why not build this container just like they build the battery canister for a high end dive light? 2" PVC tube, glue a cap on one end and then make a cap for the other and hold it down with spring latches? If you put PVC in the oven at 400* for 5 minutes it turns to rubber. Cut a section of a tube lenght wise and heat it in the oven. After 5 minutes take it out, open it up and lay it flat on a concreat floor, put a piece of plywood and some weight on top until it cools and you now have a flat sheet of PVC. Cut out two circles that are the same size as the outside of the 2" tube and glue them together. Use a saw or roughter to cut a lip around the edge on one side of the circle so that it fits inside the tube but the other edge that wasn't cut down sits on top. Add an Oring to the lid you just made. Attach a couple of stainless steel spring latches from McMaster Carr to the tube and you've created a waterproof canister that you can store stuff in. I've made several canister lights and camera housings this way and they work great and are easy to open.

Bee,
A much simpler solution to your problem can be found at your nearby welding supply store. Buy a welding rod storage tube and be done with it. They are made of heavy plastic, have a screw on cap that is sealed with an O-ring. They are air tight and water tight to keep welding rods (electrodes) dry during storage and they cost less than ten bucks.

An example:

Welding Rod Storage Tube (Rod Holder) - Welding Supplies, Tools & Helmets - Welders & Supplies

Aw, where's the fun in that?

IMG00056-20101113-1118.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG00059-20101113-1118.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG00058-20101113-1118.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG00057-20101113-1118.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG00060-20101113-1126.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

IMG00063-20101113-1127.jpg