Craziest thing you've done to save a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing too extreme. Turned up for a dive without my thermals. So I wore two jackets kindly donated by two dive buddies. Not particularly comfortable but I was warm as toast. Sadly (for them) I sprung a bit of a leak. So my buddies had to get around after the dive in damp jackets. They weren't too impressed, especially when they found out I'd left my jacket behind so I was warm and dry after the dive too. They're still a bit cranky about it all. I think they should be happy at least one of us had a great day.

Did the entire dive with an empty tank.

Breathed off one of my buddies long hose for the first half and then switched to my other buddies long hose for the second half.

It was a shallow beach dive and we still managed to get get over 2 hours of dive time in.

On my first lobster trip I found on my 4th dive that my toes were chafed, bleeding, and hurt from scuffing on the wetsuit boots. After much thought, desperate not to exceed the surface interval, I duct-taped my toes together so they remained immobile and the scuffing was on the tape rather than my foot. Worked great for the rest of the 3 day trip, and I was healing by the end of the trip.

I have some wetsuit socks now which take care of the problem when doing multiple dives. Of course I was too stupid to do anything about it for the 3 day trip the following year so I preemptively taped my feet. The only up side was my daughter was on the trip and was mortified that I was using duct tape as dive gear.

Bob
-----------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape

You can always tell how experienced a diver is by how much of his kit is composed of duck tape :D The same with cable ties.

Did a dive once without gloves (50 degree F) water. Used only one fin once and on another occasion used two fins but no fin straps. Went diving with no thermals but borrowed some non-dive clothing...was still very cold. Went diving with no time and depth info.

blew my corrugated inflator hose...
used my inflatable dive bouy and reel to maintain bouyancy
drift dive@70'for 45min.
still a great dive though!
have fun
yaeg

was in Cozumel and temporarily misplaced dive locker key, my buddy and I were relegated to RENTAL GEAR :shocked: for the first 2 dives of the day. And yep, the setup was an excellent example of why we buy our own gear, it was fraught with various maladies BUT we managed to have a couple of great dives anyway :bounce4:

edit: ok, perhaps this is not the craziest thing, BUT at the time it seemed like an act of desperation

While diving in puerto rico my wing nuts came loose on my backplate, during the start of the dive and my tank started floating away. So instead of calling the dive I held my tank under my arms for the entire hour and a half dive we did.

Here is the picture of what it looked like after the dive.

Attachments

• n150300114_30150891_2056.jpg
    n150300114_30150891_2056.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 185
While diving in puerto rico my wing nuts came loose on my backplate, during the start of the dive and my tank started floating away. So instead of calling the dive I held my tank under my arms for the entire hour and a half dive we did.

Here is the picture of what it looked like after the dive.

wait, what am I missing here? where was your wing and wasn't there a band holding your tank to your wing?

Continued diving in 49F water, even though I'd flooded my drysuit when putting my fins on in the surf zone. I didn't want to ruin my buddy's dive.

This video clip ran through my head the entire time. YouTube - Hypothermia Induced Tourettes Syndrome

It took a lot of willpower to stick it out without complaining. When I was SURE that we were likely nearing the turnaround point on the dive, I checked my watch. Total run time: a measly 8 minutes. That's when I knew it was going to be a very long dive.

Ended up being an hour and eight minute dive and I had to have my dive buddies help doffing the DS, as my legs were so full of water, I could barely lift them.

That was crazy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom