Goliath grouper aggregation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We saw quite a few on the M/V Castor last weekend. Here are a few pictures of the big guys... Sorry the pic suck because there was a Ripping south current and if you go over the wreck well don't expect to get back to the front with out crawling your way back lol.

Attachments

• PICT8036.jpg
    PICT8036.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 31
  • PICT8037.jpg
    PICT8037.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 42
  • PICT8043.jpg
    PICT8043.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 36
We saw quite a few on the M/V Castor last weekend. Here are a few pictures of the big guys... Sorry the pic suck because there was a Ripping south current and if you go over the wreck well don't expect to get back to the front with out crawling your way back lol.

Yeah literally crawling. Dove the castor 2 weeks ago, saw lots of goliaths but i did my whole dive in one spot of the wreck, holding of as tight as i could with one hand and filming with the other. No big bait balls like there usually are this time of year, but lots of a goliaths

How long do the groupers hang about the reefs and wrecks. We are coming over from Scotland again, late december before we will get in some diving
Only seen the odd one while diving, would love to see a whole bunch of them at the one time

deek8525.... You will see GG in late December but not in huge numbers. We regularly see 2 to 4 on the Jupiter wrecks year round. Plus, in December,the Lemon Sharks start to show up so you might be able to see both.

Yeah literally crawling. Dove the castor 2 weeks ago, saw lots of goliaths but i did my whole dive in one spot of the wreck, holding of as tight as i could with one hand and filming with the other. No big bait balls like there usually are this time of year, but lots of a goliaths

Kinda there was a Nasty current for us what about you? We hid behind the wheel house of the wreck.

That almost looks like the MG 111 where I shot this video last year

YouTube - sportxlh1's Channel

I was with you on that dive , I just reviewed the video and I am in that shot .I dived Jupiter dive center last sunday and the Giants were amazing to watch ,but that dive from last year was the best .
steven

Ocean Quest Scuba ("Sandy's Sunday" boat) out of Riviera Beach goes out to the Corridor (Mizpah, Amaryllis, and a couple other wrecks in a row) right out from Singer Island. Sandy is a great Capt. and runs a nice outfit.

I went out with them the last two weekends. Two weeks ago, we saw many grouper (at least 8 or 9, maybe more). But last weekend, just a few inside the wreck.

My sense based on this, is that the grouper aggregation may be leaving but maybe it was just the conditions?

Anyway, the Corridor is a fantastic dive and I highly recommend "Sandy's Sunday."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom