Pickup bed liners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I fill my tanks myself and do the vips myself....not concerned with hydros......anyway, it was just a question concerning this concept.......I'll stick to cold galv.

AAAAwwwwwww man, you mean I could have brought ALL my tanks when I picked up the doubles???

:shocked2:

ka

:cool2:Yeah, if you were willing to wait 30 min per tank..........you'd gotten home about midnight I think, but not had that wreck :cool2:

I don't believe any operation would even certify a Hydro if bed liner was placed over the tank. Neither operation in my area stated they would.
I am a PSI inspector and I would not certify any tank that is coated in anything like bed liner that would conceal rust or pitting. Use the cold galvinizing and for added protection on steal tanks use METAL PREP, you can get it at autobody supply stores.

ZDD

I am a PSI inspector and I would not certify any tank that is coated in anything like bed liner that would conceal rust or pitting. Use the cold galvinizing and for added protection on steal tanks use METAL PREP, you can get it at autobody supply stores.

ZDD

What about the old 72s with the factory vinyl coating? Would you refuse to inspect them, as well?

What about the old 72s with the factory vinyl coating? Would you refuse to inspect them, as well?

No, I would inspect them, only if the owner gave me permision to remove the vinal coating first as recomended by my certification agency PSI.
I have done this and found some nasty rust on the cylinder, remember that there is no protection on that cylinder but the vinal and when salt water penetrates it the water will remain there and do it's thing.
Personally, I would not take on the liablity to say that a cylinder that is maybe 40 years old is in serviceable state without seeing what condition the metal is in under that coating.
ZDD

It is possible to inspect a vinyl coated cylinder without removing it. It has to be done very carefully looking for any imperfections or even the minutest bulge, but it can be done.

PSI even makes a sharp think tool to pick at any suspicious bulges on vinyl coated tanks.

Keep in mind that rust (iron-oxide) occupies many times the volume of the original steel. Any rust will be visible as a bulge on most factory or professionally applied coatings (that were uniform when applied).

It is reasonable to be cautious, but with some experience it is not hard to inspect a tank without removing factory coatings. Sometimes the imperfections are small, but there are always some traces.

Vinyl and most paints are poor protections against rust. Rust can always migrate under the coating, but it does leave traces.

AFAIK, the only coatings that rust can not travel under or break the bond are does coatings containing zinc.

Note: I started inspecting cylinder close to 40 years ago and I am also a PSI certified inspector. In my profession, I also work with many certified NDT (non-destructive testing) inspectors and certified VT (visual testing) inspectors.

Three of my 72s are vinyl coated over galvanize. The vinyl over galvanize has protected my tanks for many years and there is no way I would let anyone take the vinyl cover off.

That would have made an Indian couple very happy. :rofl3:

ka

Yeah, happy wife = happy husband :D

Especially foreign made wives...........I love my foreign made (south american) wife, but when they get down, or upset or angry.........Oh Lord!!!.......Hide!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom