Are you a flyer or a looker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"who cares about the viz ... we're breathing underwater!"

Amen!

I suspect that if the novelty of total physical freedom begins to wear off, I may start taking in the sights more. I don't think I get to dive enough for that to ever happen, however.

Meanwhile, I'll admit that nice sights to make for even better flights.

The lookers look for the coloured fish,

the flyers just want to float weightless and the pretty fish are a bonus.

Flyers tend to become Zen-masters of calm and will enjoy dives immensely while being at a loss to tell others everything that they saw.

Zen Masters then, they aint. I am only working on my lowly Brown belt, myself.

Anybody can see a Shark or a yellow schoolbus parked on a reef with the 4-way signals flashing. Well, most folks, if they can quit staring at their I-Pod app for a dive computer gadget thingie.

When you can float motionless upside down vertical and insert your face mask into a hidey hole just that large... when you are spotting those creatures, it's starting to become apparent to you. Until then, you're just diving.

I am probably the slowest diver I know, I generally pick one spot and just hang out checking out the scene.

I don't know what that makes me though.

I am the same way. I often just find a nice spot on the bottom and sit there, watching the world go by. I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere in particular. I like to leisurely explore an area and see what I can find.

I am a new diver and I have been paired up with probably 10 different divers, and they are all different. I Was paired up with a young kid(20), and he was like speed racer. How much ground can we cover in the time we are under. Others have been lookers that take their time and are in no rush! I know it has been good for me to experience different types of divers!

Ok, fine.

I'm a looker.

Who likes to fly.

Best wishes.

I'm the opposite

I'm a flier,

Who likes to look.

However, once you are underwater, its don't matter if you are a looker or a flier, we're all there because we want to be underwater. To quote homer simpson:

"Under the sea
Under the sea
There'll be no accusations
Just friendly crustaceans
Under the sea!"

Get wet!

"who cares about the viz ... we're breathing underwater!"

Bill, you should include THAT in your quote. :D

Every dive is different.

Some days a dive is all about flying over the landscape, seeing what is around the next bend, or in the next coral head, or rock pile. I begin to enjoy the dip and glide of the flight, just for the feeling of freedom it brings!

Other dives don't cover an area any bigger than my living room, I am having so much fun finding creatures, maybe photographing, maybe just looking.

Then there are dives where I am enjoying showing a buddy something I have seen before. Sharing something I know they will enjoy too.

Some dives all I do is practice skills, and enjoy simply being under water for an hour.

Not so much a looker or a flyer, but a diver. When I can break away from all the other things I am, when I am not diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom