Are you a flyer or a looker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a looker. I usually stay in a twenty foot square area taking pictures on a reef. I don't move much unless I'm wreck diving.
I don't see the point of being a flyer. You can do that in a pool of a lake. No need to waste money on a dive boat or vacation if all you want to do is float. I feel the same way about scooters though, so the dive industry wouldn't make much money if most divers were like me.

Definitely a looker. In fact, I'm somewhat of a revised looker in that I left my camera behind on the last trip for the first time in a long while. Started to really look, absorb and enjoy what I was seeing rather than try to get the perfect shot. Nice change of pace.

A majority of my dives lately have been drift dives in Coz though so that makes me a flying looker. Or you could say I'm a kind of flying eyewitness. Yup, that's it.

Every dive is different.

Some days a dive is all about flying over the landscape, seeing what is around the next bend, or in the next coral head, or rock pile. I begin to enjoy the dip and glide of the flight, just for the feeling of freedom it brings!

Other dives don't cover an area any bigger than my living room, I am having so much fun finding creatures, maybe photographing, maybe just looking.

Then there are dives where I am enjoying showing a buddy something I have seen before. Sharing something I know they will enjoy too.

Some dives all I do is practice skills, and enjoy simply being under water for an hour.

Not so much a looker or a flyer, but a diver. When I can break away from all the other things I am, when I am not diving.

And the prize goes to gypsyjim!

For me it totally depends on the dive - decent drift and I'll fly, shallow muck dive and I'll move maybe 10m in an hour.

(with apologies to Steve Miller) ...

I'm a caver
I'm a reefer
I'm a nitrox breather
I spend my time just floatin' around

You're the cutest thing
That I ever have seen
I really love your backplate
Want to squeeze your wing
Lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey, lovey-dovey all the time
Dive with me baby, I'll show you a good time

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My hat is off, Grateful Diver. Kudos.

60% flyer, 39% looker and 1% stroke.

the K

Lobster looker

I am a Flyer. And I am an adventurer. I like to find my limits and move on to the next challenge.

I'm basically a flyer. Diving a drop off and looking down the seemingly endless wall leading into darkness, really thrills me.

But then, when the divesite is shallow and bustling with life, I might be hovering in one spot taking photos of nudibranchs, shrimps and gobies.

I guess it gets down to where and when.

I'm definitely a looker. I like the sense of diving but I'm not sure I would dive if it wasn't to see the fish. It doesn't need to be much, the same old garibaldi do fine, I just like to observe the other world going on down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom