Thinking about Thatch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi SB,

Anyone been to Thatch Caye? Looking for info on diving, accommodations, food, etc. I am thinking about going there this November.

We've been to Turneffe Island Lodge n/k/a Turneffe Resort, Isla Marisol and Inn at Roberts Grove. I liked them all for different reasons. Inn at Roberts was our first trip to Belize ... enjoyed it but the boat rides were far. As I became more familiar with what we liked, Turneffe and Isla were my next two choices in Belize. Turneffe Island Lodge is for me ... resort, diving, dive site distance to resort, marine life, food, style. Isla is a bit more rustic, but I still loved it. I also like trying different places.

If you may be able to compare any of these with Thatch, I would be curious as to your opinion. If you've just been to Thatch Caye, tell me something about your experience ... what was the diving like, dive op, boats, dive site distance to resort, dives per day, accommodations, food, etc.?

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Also, if you have been to Thatch ... casita or cabana? Are the casitas really better to justify the cost?

I know the owner of Thatch so I stop by there frequently....I was there yesterday actually and Travis went free diving with us. I've also stayed at Marisol and have been to the Elbow numerous times and seen Turneffe Island but never been inside.
Thatch sits about 2 -3 miles inside the reef but has nice water around it. I stayed in one of the cabanas at Thatch when Travis and I did a day trip to Turneffe. For me, it was very nice. Not as rustic as Marisol...but if I'm diving, I'm really not very picky about where I eat or sleep. Both resorts are really diving and water places. Not much else to do but eat, sleep and dive. Thatch is close to the mainland though and day trips to land based activities are more accessible.
The diving is excellent. It's right up there with Turneffe and Glovers. 6th and 7th cuts (Grand Channel) are very fishy spots. Lot of water passes through so the fish come, but like the Elbow, you sacrifice visibiity with those conditions. You're close to Turneffe (hour and a half) and Glovers (hour and 15 or so) and even Gladden Spit.
In many ways it's a lot like the other places you mentioned....except for Robert's Grove. All are isolated dive resorts.

Last edited:
I know the owner of Thatch so I stop by there frequently....I was there yesterday actually and Travis went free diving with us. I've also stayed at Marisol and have been to the Elbow numerous times and seen Turneffe Island but never been inside.
Thatch sits about 2 -3 miles inside the reef but has nice water around it. I stayed in one of the cabanas at Thatch when Travis and I did a day trip to Turneffe. For me, it was very nice. Not as rustic as Marisol...but if I'm diving, I'm really not very picky about where I eat or sleep. Both resorts are really diving and water places. Not much else to do but eat, sleep and dive. Thatch is close to the mainland though and day trips to land based activities are more accessible.
The diving is excellent. It's right up there with Turneffe and Glovers. 6th and 7th cuts (Grand Channel) are very fishy spots. Lot of water passes through so the fish come, but like the Elbow, you sacrifice visibiity with those conditions. You're close to Turneffe (hour and a half) and Glovers (hour and 15 or so) and even Gladden Spit.
In many ways it's a lot like the other places you mentioned....except for Robert's Grove. All are isolated dive resorts.

Thanks ... do you have any info on the following?

Do you know if Thatch Caye will do more than 2 dives/day? If it is eat, sleep, dive ... sometimes (or most) we like a 3rd and/or 4th - their website only talks about 2/day. I am also ok with relaxation now days too, but would like to know if the option is there.

We passed by Thatch on our way to and from Isla, so location is somewhat familar. Do you rendezvous at Pelican Inn for boat pick up?

Accommodation wise, if it is between Isla and Turneffe, we're good. If diving is potentially as good as Turneffe ... even better. Inn at Robert's was one of our first dive trips ... learned that I like dive sites close to the resort. Which leads me to a question, if Thatch offers Turneffe trips and Glover's trips, they don't make you go there do they? For example, if a group of divers want to go there, will the still take a local boat out?

I've been to Thatch 3 times now and found them about as accommodating as any dive operation I've ever dived with.

You want a third dive, sure, no problem. Don't want to go on the outer reef run, no worries, we'll do some local diving. Need a break one afternoon to let the family see you and that you haven't disappeared, then let's go looking for manatee's in the nearby mangroves or snorkel with the stingrays...

They really are that good. And, yes, the casita's really are worth paying the extra for, the roof terrace became my second home.

I promise you won't be disappointed.

I've done four dives in a day at TCR. Quite knackering!

Pickup routinely is in Dangriga, at the airstrip or the dock. I daresay they could arrange pickup elsewhere, but you'd need to ask them.

I don't understand what you mean in your final paragraph. TCR operate their own boats, and they take you to Turneffe/Glover's/Lighthouse, dive with you, and bring you back again. I've never heard of them using other people's boats.

TCR is in a superb location and if you go there you'll love it.

I took his question about local boats to mean that if TCR is running a dive out to Turneffe or the Blue Hole etc and you want to dive but not make such a long trip will they accomodate you and take you on another boat to a closer spot.

Unlike Turneffe Island Resort, which makes a weekly run to the Blue Hole. If you want to dive that day, you have to make the trip because all the dive staff goes and there's no shore diving off the island. In that situation there would be the two small dive boats left behind but no one to take you out.

Last edited:
T
Do you know if Thatch Caye will do more than 2 dives/day? If it is eat, sleep, dive ... sometimes (or most) we like a 3rd and/or 4th - .
Do you rendezvous at Pelican Inn for boat pick up?

Accommodation wise, if it is between Isla and Turneffe, we're good. If diving is potentially as good as Turneffe ... even better. out?

The previous three posts answered your questions better than I could. I've never been a customer there...I'm the one trying to corrupt the manager into going spearfishing with me.

It would be pretty well the same as TIR - the entire dive staff would go on the atoll trip, so if there were any divers left they'd have to find something else to do. Not necessarily though - there are other boat captains. But as the place is so small such a trip would be arranged for a day when everyone could go. Everything the dive shop does is bespoke.

Everything the dive shop does is bespoke.

Bespoke?

I had to look it up in the dictionary.

I believe the definition that fits here is "arranged in advance."

The United States and Great Britain: two great countries divided by a common language.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom