Dir equipment set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't the Scubapro Mk25s have a rotating turret too? They seem to be very popular with DIR divers, so how do they differ from the DST?

Its not different.

The swivels don't really ever fail anyway. Only if grossly abused, in which case its when they are first pressurized and not late in a dive. Not to mention this is why redundant regs are brought anyway.

I recommend buying a full doubles set as it gets to be a pain switching hoses back and forth, in which case you can shop for deals at that time.

I second this recommendation. No matter how much you think you'd be willing to swap hoses around, I can guarantee it will get old really fast.

great opinions, thanks a lot. I dive now with a scubapro mk25/a700 so in the future i will get doubles so i think i could not go wrong with the another a700 setup. I was debating should i go with an octo or go straight with a more expencive second stage but now i decided to go with another second stage.

Some will say it's a style point thing, but if you're already on the Scubapro road, might as well stick with it... (this also helps with hose 'routing' synergy) All my regs are Scubapro or Halcyon, depending on which reg you have (mine are almost all MK25/G250HP or equivalent) the guts are interchangeable . If you are close to a dive shop this is no big thing, but if you're 5 hrs from a repair tech, it comes in handy.

In the old days (talkin' 15 years ago basically our options were Scubapro or Poseidon), the whole team had standard regs (hence my stockpile of scubapro kit), so that if someone's reg got a tank dropped on it or something and destroyed we could salvage some of it's innards for spares and parts could be swapped quickly and easily.

FWIW, piston reg haters, i've been diving in the northwest (washington and BC, both fresh and salt water) for 20 years and have not had any icing up issues with Scubarpo MK5,MK10,MK15 and MK25's. I did have a poseidon first stage without an enviro cap freeze up on me once in lake crescent. The team dove Poseidon's for the first couple years, but the Scubpro's were just so much easier to repair/maintain compared to the odin's so at the time we all decided to make the switch.

I second this recommendation. No matter how much you think you'd be willing to swap hoses around, I can guarantee it will get old really fast.

Agreed! One of our singles first stages failed and is being sent in to be serviced....in the meantime, we are swapping one of the doubles set-ups between singles and doubles. I totally understand how people who only have one set-up would never feel like diving singles again!

But I love diving singles, so the expense was definitely worth it for me. That said, it seems that the OP is new and would be well served by diving singles for a good long while (especially if he's doing any shore diving as doubles are a huge PITA with the socal surf!).

When I went to doubles about 4 years ago I bought a completely new set of regs for the doubles so I didn't have to switch hoses every time I wanted to dive a single tank. Turns out, I never dove a single tank again.

Then when I started stage/deco diving, wallah, I only had to buy a 1st stage (plus spg & hoses) to cannibalize my singles set and I had both a stage and deco reg set.

Mike

Its not different.

The swivels don't really ever fail anyway. Only if grossly abused, in which case its when they are first pressurized and not late in a dive. Not to mention this is why redundant regs are brought anyway.

I only count three caveats so you should be fine. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom